N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default JB4 N54 Flex Fuel - Quick Guide - 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

I posted on another forum how to go about running Flex Fuel with JB4 and I always get follow up questions from JB4 users so I thought it will easier to post a thread here.

I started working with Terry@bms on this in October 2019 and we got Flex Fuel working on my car within a few days. The process is actually very easy and simple. But from the many Flex Fuel inquiry threads on this forum and elsewhere it appears there is still confusion about how the wiring works.

I first tested the full Motive Flex Fuel kit with the Jb4 and it worked out well. But since I had the Fuel-it analyser kit already for many years I decided to use the Fuel-it analyser instead. This thread is about using the JB4 with the Fuel-it Flex Fuel kit with the Motive Flex Fuel module.

1. The Fuel-it Flex Fuel kit I have is the Bluetooth and 0-5 volt analog signal for use with JB4 or an analog gauge. The kit comes with a Flex Fuel sensor, analyser and a cable with 3 wires.

2. I will assume that you already have the Fuel-it Flex Fuel sensor and analyser installed as per the pic.

3. Connect the Black wire to Ground. There is a solid ground close to the ECU box.

4. The red wire goes to the orange power wire at the green connector. I used a positap for that connection.

5. Connect the Fuel- it ECA 0-5 volt white wire directly to the DME pin #16 of the small black subconnector. My wires are a little dirty because I had to remove some sticky tape from the wires that left some ugly residue.

6. Now for the tricky part.
Splice an extra wire into the Fuel- it ECA 0-5 volt (white) wire that is wired into DME pin #16. I soldered mine but you can also use a positap to connect the extra wire. I used a green wire as the extra wire.

See the picture below that shows the two options. Once spliced in - slot in the extra wire (Green) into pin #2 in the JB4 DB25. This will allow you to read the ethanol content in the JB4 logs/Jb4 app directly from the DME.

7. Purchase the MHD Flex Fuel flash module licence from MHD. This module will automatically detect the BMS JB4 Flex Fuel map and apply the blending tables when you flash.

8. Flash the BMS Flex Fuel BEF map - which you can request directly from BMS/Terry. This Flex Fuel map will be pre- FF formatted and calibrated.

* Please note that there is a specific BMS Flex Fuel BEF for the Motiv Flex Fuel ECA kit and a specific BMS Flex Fuel BEF for the Fuelit Flex Fuel ECA kit with the appropriate ECA scaling. Make sure you request the correct map from BMS.

9. Activate the appropriate settings in the JB4 Ethanol Setup. Particularly, settings 0 and 1 and 2. See picture below.

10. After flashing check the ECA voltage, ethanol content, fuel interpoloation values at (idle) in MHD and then on the JB4 app to ensure the BMS Flex Fuel map values correspond as close as possible.

11. Some things to NOTE:

* I fitted my Flex Fuel kit in 2019 and its been running flawlessly. However, since then BMS adjusted CANbus and opened up an additional analog input which can be used for WMI, PI and Flex Fuel or for additional sensor inputs such as exhaust back pressure or EGT. Please communicate with BMS directly on these options.

* I ran both ECA kits in my testing and was happy with both but I settled with the Fuel - it ECA kit because the fitment was simpler and straightforward and because it complements all my other Fuel-it mods.

12. For me the biggest advantage of going true Flex fuel is:
* No need to re-flash BEFs when running pump fuel or e85. The MHD Flex Fuel module automatically adjust the BMS Flex tuning directly and seamlessly.

I hope you find this quick & dirty guide useful.

JB4 Flex Fuel //MMP Stage 3 turbos//Custom Exhaust/BMS DCI//FMIC/KW suspension//Fuel-it Pi & Fuel it stage 4/BMS OCC's and too much to mention

Last edited by temperamental; 04-12-2021 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Added pictures to first post
(#2)
Old

Car: Z4 35i
Default 03-29-2021, 12:50 PM

I can't see pictures.

E89 Z4 35i -09 DCT-35is flash, JB4 5g-MHD BEF,
19t, 5" stepped fmic, 3" DP's, inlets/outlets, DCI, CP with upgraded DV's, 3.5 Tmap, 535 LPFP_AN6 line, Fuel-it ECA flex fuel, OCC, RB PCV, SS AIC 1 PI.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM

Ok will see what went wrong...

JB4 Flex Fuel //MMP Stage 3 turbos//Custom Exhaust/BMS DCI//FMIC/KW suspension//Fuel-it Pi & Fuel it stage 4/BMS OCC's and too much to mention
(#4)
Old

Default 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM

Best I could do was to attach the pictures as attachments until I can figure out why the forum is not accepting my image Urls

(#5)
Old

Car: Z4 sDrive35i
Default 04-05-2021, 04:01 PM

Great write up but I am slightly confused.. I am running jb4 with hybrid e85 BEF. Does the flex fuel flash replace that? I have the fuel it sensor, I should request the flash from Terry/ BMS?
(#6)
Old

Default 04-06-2021, 12:15 AM

Correct. You need a brand new Flex Fuel formatted flash from BMS.

(#7)
Old

Default 04-10-2021, 05:56 AM

What is wrong with the setup? MHD monitor does not show the right ethanol content. Fuel interpolation is 100%
Blue wire goes to pin #2 in the JB4 DB25. Yellow wire goes to DME pin #16. Fuel-it white wire 0-5v has been shared to blue and yellow.
i bought an MHD flex fuel license and then got a new back end flash (JB4_IJE0S_HYBRID_FLEX.bin) from Terry. Maybe the BEF is for Motiv-flex fuel? The Wiring? Help ?

19t, 5" stepped fmic, 3" DP's, inlets/outlets, DCI, CP with upgraded DV's, 3.5 Tmap, 535 LPFP_AN6 line, Fuel-it ECA flex fuel, OCC, RB PCV, SS AIC 1 PI.

Last edited by Krampus; 04-10-2021 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Fuel interpolation %
(#8)
Old

Default 04-10-2021, 11:22 AM

Definitely a wiring problem.

My suggestion would be to rewire.

1. First wire the fuelit wires as per my pix. Red to power. Black to ground. White to slot #16. Then see if you get the right signals in MHD. Leave the Jb4 connection for now. Then give us an update.

2. Did you buy the MHD Flex Fuel flash module as well?

Last edited by temperamental; 04-10-2021 at 11:37 AM..
(#9)
Old

Default 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM

I will try to wire again.

Yes,I have bought the mhd flex fuel license. When license is bought then just flash the new BEF? There are not any options to choose when flash? It makes the flex fuel logic automatically in to the BEF?
I'll report tomorrow what happens.

(#10)
Old

Default 04-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Yes the mhd flex module will detect the Jb4 FF flash automatically. Unfortunately, there is no option provided to tick off.

(#11)
Old

Default 04-11-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperamental
Definitely a wiring problem.

My suggestion would be to rewire.

1. First wire the fuelit wires as per my pix. Red to power. Black to ground. White to slot #16. Then see if you get the right signals in MHD. Leave the Jb4 connection for now. Then give us an update.

2. Did you buy the MHD Flex Fuel flash module as well?
I rewired as You wrote. Red to power, Black to ground and white to slot #16. JB4 was left without ECA voltage. And I actually took the pin(male) away from jb4 harness(which goes to DME) and soldered those together. Power and ground has not been never a problem because jb4 BT shows ethanol content right. I reflashed the BEF and the result was the same. ECA voltage is 3.84v. It is measured from the splitter as shown in the picture. I allso measured the voltage first from slot #16 and then JB4 harness side. All those spots showed 3.84v. What next? I leave JB4 and and put flash only and at the same time get SS PI to work because I am missing the JB4_int file from the PI controller anyway? I am frustrated..

(#12)
Old

Default 04-11-2021, 11:18 AM

I was hoping you would do the test (without) the JB4 wires connected.
Do a sraight test.
The Fuelit FF has only 3 wires:
Red wire to power
Black wire to ground
White wire to small black subconnector slot #16
No splitters.
Then on idle, monitor voltage, eth content, fuel interpolation readings in MHD and take pix/vid.

Are you able to just do that? Its hard to trouble shoot when a number of variables are involved.

(#13)
Old

Default 04-15-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I was hoping you would do the test (without) the JB4 wires connected.
Do a sraight test.
The Fuelit FF has only 3 wires:
Red wire to power
Black wire to ground
White wire to small black subconnector slot #16
No splitters.
Then on idle, monitor voltage, eth content, fuel interpolation readings in MHD and take pix/vid.

Are you able to just do that? Its hard to trouble shoot when a number of variables are involved.
Hello. A new try. JB4 wires are not connected in the picture and the splitter is taken away. My yellow wire is in the black connector #16 but it is not connected and the other end is taped.
Fuel-it white wire and slot #16 JB4 harness side are connected together. Harness side wire goes to DME. Power and ground are connected 100% right because when wires are connected #2 in the JB4 DB25, JB4 app shows right e-content. I hope that I wrote clearly.
No results, what I expected.
What could be wrong?

(#14)
Old

Default 04-15-2021, 12:53 PM

Based on the picture...the Jb4 red wire is disconnected...why.
The Jb4 red wire must remain in place otherwise it cannot receive/relay the signal from the Fuelit white wire.

Ps...sorry i dont know/understand whats up with your configuration. Email Terry for some guidance.

(#15)
Old

Default 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM

White(fuel-it) and red(jb4 harness) wires are connected. Red(jb4 harness wire) goes to the DME. Those two wires are just not inside the black connector. It was easier to demonstrate that they were connected( white wire to slot #16 and that goes to DME)

(#16)
Old

Default 04-16-2021, 08:59 AM

The problem is solved. My wiring has been right from the start. BEF was wrong.
Big thanks to Temperamental

(#17)
Old

Default 04-16-2021, 11:07 AM

So glad it worked out.

(#18)
Old

Car: Z4 sDrive35i
Default 05-10-2021, 04:53 PM

My small black connector has a wire in in 16 already. Do I tap into it?
(#19)
Old

Default 05-10-2021, 08:37 PM

Remove the wire (white/purple stripe wire) and put some tape at the end and tuck it aside.

(#20)
Old

Car: E92 335
Default 06-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Thank you temperamental for the quick guide!

Did the install today with Fuel-It eca and flashed bef I got from Terry. JB4 is reading the ethanol content nicely and everything seems to be okay.

Now on to testing with various ethanol % to see what works best so there is a figure where to aim at the station.

2007 335i E92, AT, JB4 + Flex Fuel BEF, FBO, Turbosmart DVs, VRSF 2" inlets, Stage 2 LPFP, NGK 97506 and Fuel-IT ECA
(#21)
Old

Default 06-28-2021, 04:48 AM

Excellent. Glad it was straightforward. Keen to get your feedback on the new Jb firmware hex 32/16/T6

(#22)
Old

Car: E92 335
Default 06-28-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Excellent. Glad it was straightforward. Keen to get your feedback on the new Jb firmware hex 32/16/T6
I am actually using latest stable 32/15/T1 atm, Terry did not mention moving to this as I send him logs from initial tests with E30 and now moving to E50 and doing few pulls with that on map 5.

2007 335i E92, AT, JB4 + Flex Fuel BEF, FBO, Turbosmart DVs, VRSF 2" inlets, Stage 2 LPFP, NGK 97506 and Fuel-IT ECA
(#23)
Old

Default 06-28-2021, 07:04 AM

Okay.

(#24)
Old
reeeee

Car: 2010 e92 335i
Default 07-26-2021, 09:39 AM

Just completed my install and got everything working. However, as per Terry I only had to put the white signal wire into DME 16 to get things going. In jb4 i activated bit one and 2. On the Jb4 i can see that that the eth content is roughly the same as the fuel it app.

I am using the hybrid fuel it flex fuel pi BEF.
In the jb4 app i see Map 1 is titled 91+, 2 93+, 5 autotune , 7 e30 - e85 etc. Not sure the point of them as they all should be flex?
What maps have you guys been using?

Edit: I installed the Fuel It flex fuel bluetooth kit which is different than the focus of the thread

Last edited by themillsbros; 07-26-2021 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: accuracy
(#25)
Old

Default 07-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Excellent.
Choose a Jb4 map of your choice based on your mods.

I use map5 daily and a map6 as a fun map. Read about the new jb4 hybrid mapping here: JB4 N54 Hybrid Turbo Setup Directions - Page 24 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Last edited by temperamental; 07-26-2021 at 11:30 AM..