JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335xi
Exclamation JB4 Overboost Issue 30FE - 12-02-2018, 09:51 PM

okay so to kind of continue off of my last post I have been having this weird issue with my jb4. When I am daily driving the car it runs perfectly fine with no issues. As soon as I start to give it more than about 30% throttle (In map 0) and enter boost it starts kicking in and out of boost very aggressively and it definitely gives more than stock amounts of boost. I have not put it in to any map yet because I can't get the car to run properly in stock map. Once this weird boosting starts to happen I will go in to limp mode and I get 30FE for overboost almost every time I do a pull in any gear. When I take jb4 out of the car it runs 100% perfect with no weird boost issues and I can happily floor it without this surging boost. Any ideas of what this problem is? This only occurs when jb4 is in the car and in stock map 0 I have not tried any other map yet. I have two log attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 181202_1937.csv (12.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: csv 181202_1940.csv (5.9 KB, 169 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Photo of JB4 board? Is it a new system? What turbos on the car and were they recently replaced?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Photo of JB4 board? Is it a new system? What turbos on the car and were they recently replaced?
I donít have any pictures because it is all currently in my ecu but no it is not a new system. I had this same board in my e90 335xi that I just traded in for this car. Jb4 ran good on that car until a little before I traded it in it started to do this weird boost pulsing thing and was acting strange but never gave me any codes for it. When I took it out of the e90 the car drove perfect again. As soon as I put it in my new 08 335i coupe itís dramatically worse with the aggressive boost pulsing and gives me the overboost code and limp mode. The current car has stock turbos that have never been replaced. Again when I take the harness and board out of the ecu it drives and boosts perfectly with no issues.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Next step will be a photo of the board then so I can check for any obvious issue.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Next step will be a photo of the board then so I can check for any obvious issue.
Ok I will take it back apart tonight and post a picture on this thread.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 12-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Hi Terry,

I can see 2 guys here posting very similar logs, the other one on this thread: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56037

Why is their WGDC stuck at 27?? Is this a magic number?
(#7)
Old

Default 12-03-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Okay Terry I have the pictures of my board as well as 4 more logs. I found that other forum post of someone having a similar issue as I am where you told him to set menu 12 to 1600. I did this and it seemed to tone down and control my boost way more but it drove kind of weird and at times I felt like it was cutting boost a little bit or I wasn't getting the boost pressure I needed at some points. It is really weird but setting it to 1600 helped a lot with the pulsing boost and felt way more controlled. The first two logs menu 12 is set to 2300 and the second two are set to 1600. Stock setting was at 2800 but the car was un-drivable at menu 12 set to 2800. The logs are labeled and the pictures are attached below as well. Thanks for helping me to try to figure out what this is.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Run 1 2300.csv (36.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: csv Run 2 2300.csv (31.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: csv Run 3 1600.csv (69.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: csv Run 4 1600.csv (32.6 KB, 138 views)
(#8)
Old

Default 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Should I then just keep playing around in menu 12 until it feels or boosts right? or is there a certain number or parameter I should be in.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Don't see the photo of the JB4 board?

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 12-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Don't see the photo of the JB4 board?
Sorry looks like the files were too big. Here are the pictures. if the board looks good can you help me with the menu 12 settings I should be on or any other ways of how to fix this properly?
Attached Images

(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Thanks, just needed to confirm board was OK.

So the turbos are adjusted tight. The menu12 1600 setting is pretty close, maybe try 1800?

Also with tight wastegates like this lowering PID gain can also help smooth things out. Maybe lower to 15?

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks, just needed to confirm board was OK.

So the turbos are adjusted tight. The menu12 1600 setting is pretty close, maybe try 1800?

Also with tight wastegates like this lowering PID gain can also help smooth things out. Maybe lower to 15?
Okay I tried 1800 and it actually felt perfect! Iíll log at 1800 and post them just to make sure but it felt really smooth. What does the PID gain do and should I still lower the PID gain? Also is it a bad thing that my wastegates are tight? How would they have gotten to be so tight on stock turbos?
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM

It controls how aggressively WGDC is moved in response to boost and boost target changes. Since the WGs are tight and need less overall WGDC, a lower PID gain should dampen the system and make control smoother. Something to try, anyway.

The tighter WGs are not ideal but not worth fixing either. We can tune around it.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
It controls how aggressively WGDC is moved in response to boost and boost target changes. Since the WGs are tight and need less overall WGDC, a lower PID gain should dampen the system and make control smoother. Something to try, anyway.

The tighter WGs are not ideal but not worth fixing either. We can tune around it.
Will it cause more wear on the turbos being tight? I wonder if someone tightened them previously before I bought the car. Anyways so leaving menu 12 at 1800 and lowering PID to 15 should fix everything?
(#15)
Old

Default 12-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Just to update the situation do these logs look normal? is there anything that looks out of the ordinary or am I good now? Thanks for all the help!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018_12_06 06-16-28.csv (109.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: csv 2018_12_06 06-25-41.csv (108.6 KB, 141 views)
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Seems good to me.

Burger Motorsports