N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Finally new dyno results with our VTT 135i! - 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM

Been a long time coming, but our white 135i is finally back together!

Sometime in 2017 the stock motor gave up so we shipped the car up to Vargas for an entirely new build. Budget oriented forged motor, GC2 turbos, and various little bits and pieces that made sense while it was all apart. While I was happy with the MOTIV 750 kit we've already got the ACF single turbo 335 in our stables here. I was intrigued by the potential to make the same or more power at half the price, in a cleaner looking twin turbo package, so made the switch to GC2s.

Basic Build Details:
JB4 with MHD BEF
VTT GC V2 turbos
VTT/Rebello Short block CP 9.5:1 pistons, Manley Turbo Tuff Rods, King bearings, ARP Rod bolts
Stock head, stock valves, stock retainers, Supertech Valve springs, new guides, new seals ARP Head Studs
Schrick High Lift Cams
VTT Upcoming crank hub fix, with Crank bolt capture
VTT Stock location rear inlet, relocated front inlet
VTT Crankcase Breather
Fuel-It PI w/ stock intake manifold
Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP with Return
Spec 3+ clutch / Aluminum SMFW
ADE Engine mounts
UUC Red Trans mounts
Custom 3.5" aluminum catback
100% Pump E85

Name:  IMG_7141.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  152.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7140.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  208.0 KB

Tony got everything up and running last week and was kind enough to help me do a little preliminary remote tuning on their dyno just to see where things stand. Overall, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the GC2 turbos. They are so responsive on the dyno I had to dial down spool dramatically. And they seem to hold power pretty well up to 7500rpm. I plan on shifting it around 7000rpm but it's nice to know the turbos can keep up with the cams if needed.

Below are a few of the last runs we did poking around at different timing curve and boost requests. I'm confident once I get the car strapped down here and can really spend some time with it we'll see power in the 775whp range. But even if nothing changes on that front, I expect to get this in to the 5.6s range or better 60-130.

Also want to thank Tony personally for all the work that went in to it. I changed my mind a few times on some of the parts used which caused annoying delays and the car to have to be stored there for months. Which I can tell you as a business owner is usually annoying. He didn't complain when he had to go chaise down the many parts you lose when swapping from single back to twin. And also had a lot of little ideas to improve things that I never would have thought of. I'll leave it to him to reveal some of his built motor secrets should he choose.

Anyway can't wait to get the car back down here so I can start having some real fun with it again.

Name:  135_dyno.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  139.1 KB
Name:  092618_0430.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  41.3 KB

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Sport
Default 09-26-2018, 06:27 PM

way to go .... great results and welcome back to twins

13 BMW 335ix Full Weight 10.64 @129mph N55 WR SOLD
15 BMW M4 Full Weight 10.69@133mph stock turbos SOLD
18 BMW M2LPower
drag track online set up contact on Instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Pretty exciting. One question so far, why mixed inlets?

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#4)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 09-26-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Pretty exciting. One question so far, why mixed inlets?
I can answer that. I actually assembled the motor, and got it back into the car with our stock location inlets on it. Front, and rear. I forgot terry had moved coolant tank to driver side to make room for the single, he has a custom PS reservoir bracket etc. Needless to say all of that is directly in the way of where the front inlet/filter would sit. It would have been a LOT of work to move that all back. Easy solution, use a front relocation inlet, and leave the rear stock location which we actually prefer due to locating the filter in a cooler part of the engine bay. It worked out fine this way, and it how I run my inlets on the stage 3 car as well.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time

Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-26-2018 at 08:38 PM..
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-26-2018, 08:14 PM

+1. And at some point I'll be moving the coolant tank over and doing a full inlet so it looks more OEM. The front one is easy to reach.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Hell yea, this thing is awesome! I can't wait till it's back here so we can all drool over it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-27-2018, 10:28 AM

For those interested here is a comparison of the car with the MOTIV kit and stock motor, vs. the current build. I have midrange turned down here on the new build. And on the MOTIV setup I know I have a ~725whp 30psi (maxing out turbo) dyno floating around somewhere I just can't locate it. But gives you an idea for the power band differences with turbos and cam.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 2011 N55 135DCT
Default 09-27-2018, 10:40 AM

Looking awsome Terry. Gana be a monster on the road

2011 135 n55 DCT RHD, MAMBA GTX3576R (5962) single turbo kit. Jb4 FBO. METH KIT WITH cm7 and cm4
(#9)
Old

Car: '11 E90 335i
Default 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Congrats, Terry and team! That new build is ridiculous! How do you even keep the wheels on the ground with that much power on an E82 chassis...

2017 M3 ZCP
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks... Previously we had to limit boost dramatically in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the 245/45/17" Nitto 555Rs. We're going to run Hoosier 275/40/17s this time around which should provide a little better traction while remaining stable down the track. But the short answer is we'll have to figure it out on the fly.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi
Default 12-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Terry,

Do you have a datazap log? I don't understand the JB4 log. Is your WGDC really at around 45%?
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM

No I only view logs in the JB4 interface. Certain fields such as WGDC, pedal, throttle, E85, etc, are scaled 0-100%.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi
Default 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM

So multiply by 2? WGDC as almost 90%?
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

If you want to use the Y axis numbers, yes. It's showing 0-50 instead of 0-100. So you'd multiply the number by 2. Around 90% peak.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default 12-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Hey Terry out of curiousity, how much does your car weight?
Thanks
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiggz
Thanks
I think it was like 2850 without driver.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#17)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 12-05-2018, 01:08 PM

You should test upgraded coils on the dyno, maybe pick up some more power
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiggz
Thanks
It's around 3025# with me these days.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default 12-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It's around 3025# with me these days.
Aww come on man. Cant be that bad haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I think it was like 2850 without driver.
Thats not bad. Thinking about doing weight reduction to mine before building motor. Just curious what is the best way to go about it.
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Check the "because racecar" thread on here. Only mod I reversed was the light weight battery. Sold it to ACF for his race car and never got around to buying another one.

Burger Motorsports