N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Kia & Hyundai JB4 - 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

*** We're going to use this thread as the general Kia Stinger informational thread including posting the install guide, mapping guide, software, firmware updates as we release them, logs, and general discussion. ***

Order Here!

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

By default the JB4 ships on map1. For higher boost map, logging, firmware updates, and other features, you'll need a JB4 Mobile adapter for wireless connection to your phone or a BMS data cable for wired connection to a laptop.

JB4 Mobile Smart Phone wireless connection directions Click here.
BMS data cable hard wired directions Click here.

Installation guide Click Here

Map guide as of v5 firmware (selected via JB4 Mobile/laptop interface. Map1 is the default map)

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: 4psi over stock peak tapering to 2.5psi at high RPM. Default performance map suitable for all 91+ octane fuels.
Map 2: 5psi over stock tapering to 4psi at high RPM. Suggested for 93+ octane fuel.
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.
Map 4: Valet map, runs around half as much boost as stock.
Map 5: Up to 7psi over stock. For use with unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures up to 30%.
Map 6: User adjustable map. Enter value of boost over stock by RPM on user adjustment page.
Map 7: Up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures, and bolt on modification.
Map 8: Progressive WMI (water/meth) map. Increases boost as a function of methanol flow & methanol boost additive. Holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, leak, or component failure.

Firmware:

JB4_KIA_5 --> JB4_KIA_5.hex

1) Revised boost by gear logic for improved traction on RWD vehicles. You can now set gears below the factory boost levels if needed. For each gear enter the amount of boost reduction you want. For example, 8.0psi would reduce boost by 8psi in 1st gear. In our development non-LSD GT we've been testing 8psi in 1st and 2psi in 2nd with good success.
2) Added progressive water/meth map map8. Requires WMI integration using a BMS FSB to run the pump & solenoid. Once installed WMI is enabled when map8 is selected and the JB4 progressively controls WMI and boost targets as a function of WMI flow. The only safe way to run WMI.
3) Adjusted map7 to match map5 but hold boost stronger to redline for heavily modified cars.
4) Added logic for IAT remapping which provides direct ignition timing control. Requires you to add a wire within the JB4 harness itself. Will post more on this as we further evaluate it.

JB4_KIA_4_T1 --> JB4_KIA_4_T1.hex

1) Adjustment to fuel mapping if equipped with fuel wires. 0-100 scaling now represents around 0-1.25:1 leaner than stock.
2) Logical change to address intermittent "low boost mode" when letting off the gas, on higher boost maps.

JB4_KIA_3_T2:

1) Added map4, valet map, which runs around half as much boost as stock. Perfect for when your "friends" borrow the car or when you want to resist the urge to waste fuel.
2) Minor boost target adjustments to all maps based on our latest dyno testing.
3) Added in logic for our new fuel control system which allows the JB4 to directly alter the air/fuel ratio when also equipped with add-on fuel wires. Currently interface is programmed so that under fuel enrichment by RPM you enter 100 to make the AFR target 1pt leaner than stock, for example. Values of 0 mean do not change AFR in this range. Do not change these settings unless also adding in the fuel wires or your AFR reading in JB4 logs will be inaccurate. Suggested settings are as follows. We currently limit each value to no more than 1pt leaner than stock (value of 100) for evaluation. On the dyno we found AFR leaner than around 11.2:1 at higher RPM resulted in no additional power gain.

JB4_KIA_2:

1) Enabled full OBDII CANbus. Enable by plugging in OBDII cable and loading this firmware.
2) T2: Map adjustments to map2, map5, & map7.

Spark Plugs:

Only map1 has a chance of working well with the factory plug gap. We suggest closing the gap on the stock plugs to 0.024"-0.026", or replacing the stock plugs with Denso 5346 plugs and gapping them to 0.022".
Additional information on spark plug suggestions including a how to gap video here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=245

Dyno Testing: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...&postcount=276

Dyno Testing w/ BMS intake: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...&postcount=460

Fuel Control Wires:

These add on wires attach to the JB4 harness and your vehicles sensors to give the JB4 the ability to directly change the air/fuel ratio. The factory tuning runs in the 10:1 range and leaning that out to 11:1 has proven to be worth significant power at higher RPM. Purchase the wires on our website and install according to the video below.

To enable fuel control you must also enter&save the fuel wire specific settings below under "Fuel Bias":
Name:  JB4_V4_Fuel_Settings.png
Views: 2292
Size:  30.9 KB

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: '11 E90 335i
Default 03-08-2018, 12:11 PM

This is good news, but the one thing about Kia is that they will happily void your engine warranty if they ever see any non-factory engine mods. On the bright side, however, a piggyback unit can always be removed prior to any service visits.

2017 M3 ZCP
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 03-08-2018, 01:02 PM

What power did it make?
(#4)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune
This is good news, but the one thing about Kia is that they will happily void your engine warranty if they ever see any non-factory engine mods. On the bright side, however, a piggyback unit can always be removed prior to any service visits.
Come on, they should know better than that. Magnuson-Moss says they aren't voiding anything.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#5)
Old
Extra Special 335i

Default 03-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Definitely interested in hearing what's going on with this tune. I've had a JB+ and JB4 for my 335i and loved them. What might it be called?

2007 BMW 750Li (sold)
2007 BMW 335i (sold)
2014 BMW 550i (July)
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune
He happens to work for a Kia dealer and told me as long as you remove the parts before going in generally it's not a problem. He said they are scanning the cars checking for flash tuning though now. Per usual if you can't afford to fix it, don't risk modifying it, but we expect our tuning to be very reliable. The motor appears overbuilt for the factory power levels.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Castellano
Definitely interested in hearing what's going on with this tune. I've had a JB+ and JB4 for my 335i and loved them. What might it be called?
It will be a JB4

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM

So far, so good on testing. We need some more test cars. Email if you have a Stinger and are looking for a great deal on a tune.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
Extra Special 335i

Default 03-19-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
So far, so good on testing. We need some more test cars. Email if you have a Stinger and are looking for a great deal on a tune.
Terry, I have a few people interested. How do I email you?

2007 BMW 750Li (sold)
2007 BMW 335i (sold)
2014 BMW 550i (July)
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Around 10 BETA systems are on the way out. I'll post an install guide and more detailed directions in the first post shortly. For now direct any inquires, help requests, logs, etc, to this thread so we have them all in one place.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1
Default 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM

Looking forward to this!
(#12)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger
Default 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM

Are there any plans for jb4 for the 2.0T? Happy to be a tester if needed
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddi85
Are there any plans for jb4 for the 2.0T? Happy to be a tester if needed
Absolutely... What year/model do you have?

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 03-20-2018, 07:08 PM

I have a 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T.

It seems a lot of the tuning options are for the 3.3TT, but I’m sure there still a lot of interest with the 2.0T platform.
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008MY E92 335i (6 MT)
Default 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the opportunity Terry, Robert (2018 GT)
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddi85
I have a 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T.

It seems a lot of the tuning options are for the 3.3TT, but Iím sure there still a lot of interest with the 2.0T platform.
I want to get the BETA system in the hands of a couple 2.0T cars to collect some data. I expect we'll be able to make the tuning fully compatible.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 3.3
Default 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Terry - do you need any Beta Testers for the Canadian market? I have the 3.3TT.

Regards,
Scott
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2018, 08:43 AM

We've got an initial 10 3.3L cars lined up already and will update the thread with progress as we go.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 03-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I want to get the BETA system in the hands of a couple 2.0T cars to collect some data. I expect we'll be able to make the tuning fully compatible.
That would be great! Do they have to be local to Simi Valley or would any location work? How many testers were you thinking? I'd add my name to the list and happy to put the word out to others.

Can you PM me on the details?
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2018, 11:09 AM

First step would be to track down someone willing to drive by our office here. Put the word out and lets see if we can track a car down.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
First step would be to track down someone willing to drive by our office here. Put the word out and lets see if we can track a car down.
Awesome! I'll email you once I get a taker!
(#22)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT
Default 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM

I am super stoked to be apart of this... Thanks again Terry!
(#23)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Talking So far so good - 03-23-2018, 05:30 AM

Installed my tester last night and only got to drive it for about 10 minutes because it was so late, but I can say first impressions are VERY positive. Car feels more powerful any gear any revs. Used launch control and it noticeably removed the slight delay it had before. I can also feel my car squatting more than it did before.
(#24)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT
Default 03-24-2018, 04:54 PM

Was able to install the JB4 this evening and make a couple pulls with data. It looks like the boost is low, but I'm not sure Im reading the data right.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 3rd gear pull.csv (35.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: csv 40mph pull.csv (33.4 KB, 103 views)
(#25)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1
Default 03-24-2018, 07:15 PM

Well I've got some not so encouraging news. I took the car out for a few pulls, and on pull three we most definitely has issues.

I ran the car in mode 0 (disabled) and twice in mode two (+4psi). The first time things went without a hitch. Drove a couple of miles and went to pull again, and about half way through a WOT pull I got a solid check engine light that went off after finishing the pull (got up to 80Mph and let off). Slowed down to make the turn onto another road, and when I gave the car a little throttle to start speeding up I started getting misfires and the check engine light was back on. Drove the remaining mile to my house in that condition, and when I placed it in park, she was idling very rough, definite misfire.

Fired up the laptop and set the tune back down to mode 0 (disabled) and gave the car a few minutes, then fired it back up. Car ran as normal. Gave it a few hard accelerations in park up to 5krpm, and everything still ran fine as can be, with no check engine light.

I've got the entire sessions (all three pulls) recorded on my snapon diagnostics setup (should be able to be watch on the free ShopStream Connect software, and pictures of the maximum pre-chip MAP sensor voltage for each of the pulls as well.

I've enclosed a zip that has the session file, the software to view it, and a picture of the max map sensor voltage reading named to match the mark where the max boost occurred on the SnapOn Playback.

Last edited by Killa200; 03-24-2018 at 07:27 PM..