N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default How to dyno your car - 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Hey guys,

I figured it would be a good idea to post up a dyno DIY. This is for purposes of measuring the performance of modifications, not for doing actual tuning.

Ahead of time:

1) The brand of dyno matters. They all read (and work) differently so if you want to compare numbers with others find an actual Dynojet dyno.

2) If possible do a baseline dyno before your modifications so you can measure the power increase. For those of you using an off brand dyno, failure to perform this step will result in numbers that are impossible to analyze. If you can't do a before dyno and you're not using a Dynojet, don't waste your money or time.

3) Make sure the car is fully adapted to your modifications before you go. If you just added race gas, floor the car a few times so it can adapt to the higher octane.

4) Bring along a USB flash drive to take home your runs.

5) The better the fans, the higher the dyno numbers. Make sure the dyno shop you use has adequate fans and ventilation.

6) The N54 always dynos better in colder weather, despite correction factors. Take this in to consideration when picking a day to dyno and when comparing numbers with others. Corrected runs in 50 degree temps will generally result in higher numbers than those in 100 degree temps, all else being equal. So if you want to improve your chances for a dyno record, go on a cold day. Just be prepared for skeptics to complain about your optimal weather.

7) Correction factors do not properly take in to account altitude. If you live in a high altitude area, do not try to compare your corrected numbers to others at sea level. Try to find a dyno close to sea level.

Once you arrive:

1) To connect the RPM pickup use an allen wrench to loosen and lift the plastic engine cover. The tach pickup connects to the wire bundle going to a coil pack. If the dyno operator can't get a signal, just move to another bundle under there until you find one that works.

2) Measure air/fuel ratios from the right tailpipe. This avoids confusion if your factory exhaust flapper is not disabled. As a side note, ignore the dyno operator when he freaks out about how lean your air/fuel ratios are. The N54 is a direct injection motor and typically runs 14.5:1 air/fuel ratios in the midrange stock. Also ignore the power/torque dip around 4000rpm, it is a cam timing event.

3) Disable the traction control system.

3a) For manual transmissions: Do all runs in 4th gear from 2000rpm to 7000rpm.

3b) For automatic transmissions: This is very confusing and likely your dyno operator will not be smart/experienced enough to do this, so don’t be afraid to operate the car on the dyno yourself.

Shift the car in to 4th gear in sport mode, bring the RPMs up to around 1800-2200, and then floor the car to right before the kick down switch. If you floor it all the way, the car will downshift and screw up your run. If this happens abort the run and try again. The kick down is a small button at the end of the gas pedal travel and you can practice with the car off, or on the way to the dynoshop.

4) When analyzing your runs, move the correction factor to STD, and the smoothing to 5. The early 335i tuning gods decided this was the appropriate factor for the N54 so using the more appropriate SAE factor will likely result in your disappointment.

5) Copy your .DRF run files to your USB drive to take home. You can download Dynojet winpep software online free of change to create graphs, combine runs on to one chart, change correction algorithms, and analyze your runs.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Banned

Car: N54, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Default 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Nice write up! I will be needing this soon....
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Here are some photos from my last dyno session

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM

If the dyno operator wont let you drive the car then this could be a good idea.

(#5)
Old
On Vacation

Car: 9-06 build e92 335 & 07 X3
Default 02-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fll
If the dyno operator wont let you drive the car then this could be a good idea.
great idea... i will do this on my next dyno! stupid dyno operater kept hitting the kickdown last time, and then he got nervous and refused to floor it until after 4k rpms... which gave me crappy tq numbers

I actually might do that perminently... I hate the kickdown... I prefer to be in control of when the car downshifts. (I know I know... shoulda got an MT... )
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r
great idea... i will do this on my next dyno! stupid dyno operater kept hitting the kickdown last time, and then he got nervous and refused to floor it until after 4k rpms... which gave me crappy tq numbers

I actually might do that perminently... I hate the kickdown... I prefer to be in control of when the car downshifts. (I know I know... shoulda got an MT... )
You could maybe tell by my DIY how highly I regard dyno operators.

I'm fortunate to be able to do it all myself at the local shop, but I often get calls or emails from customers with similar stories to yours. And they always end with the customer having paid $50-75 for useless dyno results.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old
One tire fire

Car: E92 335, 6MT
Default 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Just like I do it, but I start my pulls from 1000 rpm.

18 Magnetic Gray Raptor S-crew
'17 991.2 Guards red Turbo S. 10.54 @ 131 stock
'07 997.1 6MT: FBO, stock turbos, E85: 5.9 60-130
'18 Nardo Gray RS3
(#8)
Old

Car: Turbo Lexus IS300
Default 03-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Your supposed to dyno the manual transmissions in FIFTH gear, not 4th by the way.

MRF Built 04' BLACK, BLACK M/T Lexus IS300
Supra 2JZ-GTE Swap, PT-67 DBB Turbo
MRF Fuel, MRF Head, MRF Electronics, TEC3
~700 RWHP, 3190 lbs... nuff said!

2008 Alpine White/Coral Red 335i Coupe 6-Speed
ZPP, ZSP, Heated Seats, IPOD/USB
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11
Your supposed to dyno the manual transmissions in FIFTH gear, not 4th by the way.
Generally you go for the gear closest to 1:1, but in the 335i 4th is the standard for both the auto and manual. So you can dyno in any gear you want but if you want to compare your dyno numbers to others on the internet, make it 4th gear.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi-Space Gray-6AT
Default 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Terry,

when you say "turn off DTC" I assume you mean all the way off---hold it down?

Also..is that how you run your best times?

current rides:
2009 CTS-V Black on Black (12.1@119-stock)
2007 Charger SRT8 (Purple-thats right, 404rwhp/400tq)) 12.7
2006 300C (heads/cam/headrs/tune/catbacks/kws/sways/CAI/)12.8
2008 BMW 335Xi/JB3/BMS filter/UR CL***/Code-3 FMIC/Borla Catback 11.965@116
(#11)
Old

Default 03-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger
Here are some photos from my last dyno session
I like how your dyno operator wraps the tie down around the suspension instead of placing a hook into the hole on the suspension arm. Your way seems much safer and easier on the susp.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRC
I like how your dyno operator wraps the tie down around the suspension instead of placing a hook into the hole on the suspension arm. Your way seems much safer and easier on the susp.
+1

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8/bmw
Terry,

when you say "turn off DTC" I assume you mean all the way off---hold it down?

Also..is that how you run your best times?
I always race with DTC all the way off, no way to do a burnout otherwise. And it should be off for the dyno also, although it will turn itself off if you forget.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old
maniac

Car: e93
Default your quarter mile technique - 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I always race with DTC all the way off, no way to do a burnout otherwise. And it should be off for the dyno also, although it will turn itself off if you forget.
Terry, are you still torque braking in DS mode and let the car auto shift for you?
i ask because our 335 w/ auto tranny sort of stops pulling hard around 6,000 rpm or so.
isn't it better to paddle shift at around 6,000 rpm instead of letting the rpms sorta creep toward 7,000 rpm before it auto shifts?

thanks

thanks
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
Terry, are you still torque braking in DS mode and let the car auto shift for you?
i ask because our 335 w/ auto tranny sort of stops pulling hard around 6,000 rpm or so.
isn't it better to paddle shift at around 6,000 rpm instead of letting the rpms sorta creep toward 7,000 rpm before it auto shifts?

thanks

thanks
Yes I just leave it in DS mode. At your altitude, shifting early might make sense as the turbos will run out of room at higher RPM / high boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old
maniac

Default 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Yes I just leave it in DS mode. At your altitude, shifting early might make sense as the turbos will run out of room at higher RPM / high boost.
thanks, got some races coming up. i think you used to suggest one push of the DTC button, and not a full 6 second push of the button.
but your above post indicates that you favor full DTC button push meaning ALL traction systems are off. is this correct?

btw, one of the guys i beat last time sold his supercharged 330i a week after that race (he only had that car for a few weeks )....and then went out and bought another car.
next month he is running his newly bought and modified supercharged european e46 M3 against me....should be verrrry interesting.

i hope he is not that much faster than last time, cause after my final mods scheduled for next week, there are no new mods out there available
(#17)
Old

Car: Turbo Lexus IS300
Default 03-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Generally you go for the gear closest to 1:1, but in the 335i 4th is the standard for both the auto and manual. So you can dyno in any gear you want but if you want to compare your dyno numbers to others on the internet, make it 4th gear.

On the MT, the 5th gear is the 1:1 gear. No need to find the closest to 1:1 gear when the car has one.

MRF Built 04' BLACK, BLACK M/T Lexus IS300
Supra 2JZ-GTE Swap, PT-67 DBB Turbo
MRF Fuel, MRF Head, MRF Electronics, TEC3
~700 RWHP, 3190 lbs... nuff said!

2008 Alpine White/Coral Red 335i Coupe 6-Speed
ZPP, ZSP, Heated Seats, IPOD/USB
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
thanks, got some races coming up. i think you used to suggest one push of the DTC button, and not a full 6 second push of the button.
but your above post indicates that you favor full DTC button push meaning ALL traction systems are off. is this correct?

btw, one of the guys i beat last time sold his supercharged 330i a week after that race (he only had that car for a few weeks )....and then went out and bought another car.
next month he is running his newly bought and modified supercharged european e46 M3 against me....should be verrrry interesting.

i hope he is not that much faster than last time, cause after my final mods scheduled for next week, there are no new mods out there available
You'll have to practice and see what works best for you, but if its your first time racing and you're on street tires one push is better. If you are on drag radials, then disable the entire system. And get some good gas!!

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old
maniac

Default 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
You'll have to practice and see what works best for you, but if its your first time racing and you're on street tires one push is better. If you are on drag radials, then disable the entire system. And get some good gas!!
thanks
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Just a quick note: If you want to dyno different settings on the car (e.g. race map on, JBX settings, etc) make sure you plan to do 3 pulls with each setting to let the car fully adapt.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 335i MSport
Default 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
On the MT, the 5th gear is the 1:1 gear. No need to find the closest to 1:1 gear when the car has one.

So are MT owners dynoing in fifth gear or not? i want my figures to be correct as most guys are dynoing AT in fouth gear :S
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33
So are MT owners dynoing in fifth gear or not? i want my figures to be correct as most guys are dynoing AT in fouth gear :S
Everyone uses 4th gear...

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 335i MSport
Default 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM

do u think its likely that MT owners might get lesser figures over the AT owners as the gear is slightly different if were all using fourth?
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33
do u think its likely that MT owners might get lesser figures over the AT owners as the gear is slightly different if were all using fourth?
The M6 guys seem to dyno 6-8rw higher all else being equal, from my experience.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old
On Vacation

Car: 9-06 build e92 335 & 07 X3
Default 06-01-2008, 04:52 PM

You can't use 5th gear because the car will be over 155mph (limited electronically) well before 7k rpms

4th gear goes to almost 140 last time i checked

Quote: