JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 Interface Changes for USA customers - 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM

As we work to get the JB4 50 state legal in the USA we've had to modify the user interface and remove and/or limit certain user adjustments that could cause noncompliance if set improperly. The windows interface and JB4 Mobile will detect your country and block out these settings. Those operating outside the USA will not have these limitations on the interface settings but care should be taken when making any setting changes to ensure they have the desired effect.

As part of this change we've removed the undocumented option to delete passive fault codes. This was sort of a misunderstood setting all along because all fault codes remained stored within the DME and nothing prevented fault codes from registering. You could delete them but they'd come right back up and were always stored in the shadow fault area. But to prevent any possible misunderstanding or misuse the setting has been blocked out of all USA interfaces. We believe this is the only interface change we'll need to make. Older non-compliant firmware is blocked in the USA along with any non-compliant settings. Older interface versions have been set to expire/automatically update.

The photos below are the windows interface but similar changes have been made to JB4 Mobile. Note that country detection has been designed so that it can't be spoofed or fooled and any discussion about spoofing or fooling it or trying to bypass or work around these changes will be deleted.

Name:  country_interface.jpg
Views: 10872
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  usa_firmware.jpg
Views: 9000
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  setting_blocked.jpg
Views: 8895
Size:  50.6 KB

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 06-22-2017, 08:18 PM

Glad I'm in Canada! Lol. Thanks for the quick response terry!
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It will only be active while attempting to select outside the USA only options and measures will be taken to protect against spoofing or fooling it. If someone wants to break the law we obviously can't stop them but reasonable measures can be taken to make it more difficult for them.

Does. This mean it will only work while you are running the mobile app or will it allow us to set it through the app and work even when we don't have anything plugged into the jb4?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Country is only checked/used when attempting to change settings. It's all a bit of work but if BMS is going to grow we need to get more products 50-state legal and this comes with that territory.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 06-24-2017, 10:42 AM

This is extremely disappointing to hear.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM

We simply want to take reasonable steps to ensure people are using our products appropriately and as stated above the future of tuning in the USA is 50-state legal products. That is where we need to be. Everyone else will disappear sooner or later.

The interface will detect your country so that those outside the USA are not effected by the limitations.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-24-2017, 11:00 AM

It's pretty simple guys. If you want BMS to be around in the future to support your existing products, and also come out with new products/features year and year, they have to abide by certain laws in California AND the United States. There's no benefit to any of us if they get shut down or have to pay huge fines that immensely hurt their business and hamper growth.

Remember the saying everyone throws around? "You gotta pay to play"? Well, this is what we all have to deal with if we want things to continue.

Then of course, you could always write to our elected officials or become one yourself. Have any of you been watching this?

https://www.sema.org/sema-news/2016/...-our-race-cars

https://www.votervoice.net/SEMA/campaigns/45394/respond

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/350

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 | JB4 | APR FMIC

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
It's pretty simple guys. If you want BMS to be around in the future to support your existing products, and also come out with new products/features year and year, they have to abide by certain laws in California AND the United States. There's no benefit to any of us if they get shut down or have to pay huge fines that immensely hurt their business and hamper growth.
Exactly... As the laws are written there is no "formal" exemption for competition race use only within the USA, only an interpretation, which is subject to change on a whim. Since the JB4 system already meets 1A standards out of the box it's just a matter of limiting adjustment ranges for USA customers to ensure we're fully compliant with all Federal standards. But ultimately the goal is to get 50-state status with CARB certification.

I know other tuning companies are taking a similar approach and expect at some point soon all will or go out of business.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 06-24-2017, 04:30 PM

So what other 'race' settings besides auto clear will be blocked?

08 535Xi - jb4 iso w/mhd flash, Bms dci, AR ********* DP, er cp with forge dv, second *** delete, muffler delete, xhp trans flash, ets fmic, bms oil tstat bypass.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM

A few other race only features need to be further evaluated like the 2STEP. But, since this requires a separate hardware purchase AND a separate race use only flash map AND would only be useful on a race track anyway, I don't think we need to limit it at the interface level. It's not something you can just turn on or off easily.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM

Hi guys
Im outside USA but the interface is showing that Im there. How can this be fixed?
Thanks
Hermes
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermesromeror
Hi guys
Im outside USA but the interface is showing that Im there. How can this be fixed?
Thanks
Hermes
If you need technical support with the changes just email in.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Coupe
Default 06-25-2017, 11:48 PM

Hi Terry,

My interface is showing United States although I am in South Africa.
I know why..., could be an issue for many people.
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloubser
Hi Terry,

My interface is showing United States although I am in South Africa.
I know why..., could be an issue for many people.
Email me and we can discuss.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Just an FYI - this is a large selling point for people debating JB4 vs. MHD.
When loading a race use only flash people should realize they are providing their VIN and personal information to an entity, who under subpoena, will be forced to turn that information over to the government, to BMW, or whoever requests it. People who think that somehow these regulations only effect BMS but don't effect every other tuning company are completely naive. The minor changes being made now will protect BMS and our customer base down the road.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM

I just want to clarify: The settings/features that will be blocked in my region will still be available via flash (assuming I get a custom BEF)?

'12 N55 e82 | MEVD1762 | DCT | CP | d0wnP1p3e sans meow | 7" IC | PPK1 | PE | JB4 ISO | BMS OCC | BMS Intake | PS2 | Stg2 LPFP | N20
Waiting to go in: BMS WMI kit
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449
I just want to clarify: The settings/features that will be blocked in my region will still be available via flash (assuming I get a custom BEF)?
We have no affiliation with MHD. Direct any questions on their software to them directly. If they are smart expect them to make similar changes to their interface.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM

If understood that correct (JB4 will be limiting us? no more anti lag 2step etc ??? Sorry but what exactly does it mean how does it effect us?

E92 09' 335i MHD BY V8BAIT
MMP STAGE 3 / MMP PI
XHP s3 / MR.5 AIRINTAKE
VRSF **'s VRSF 7" IC / RB PCV VALVE
VTT 2" INLETS / STETT CP TIAL BOV
M3 F/R CONTROL ARMS / M3 STEERING RACK
MEGAN TOE ARMS / KW V2 SUSPENSION
ST DRILLED/SLOTTED ROTORS
BODY/INTERIOR MODS
N20TMAP NGK 5992s Gapped To 0.018"
PR IGINITION UPGRADE
FUEL-IT STAGE 3 LPFP / MISHMOTO + BMS OCC
SETRAB AT COOLER / PERFORMANCE EXHAUST MOD
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarrow335i
If understood that correct (JB4 will be limiting us? no more anti lag 2step etc ??? Sorry but what exactly does it mean how does it effect us?
If you are inside the USA clearing fault codes will be limited. Nothing more, nothing less, at this time.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarrow335i
No, read.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 | JB4 | APR FMIC

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpmode
+1
Before all this we were 49 State legal!
This is absolutely a Federal issue, more so than a State issue, IMHO.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54335
you say limited on the fault clearing? So will all single n54 owners now have a ses light due to exhaust system?
If you have a flash tune loaded you don't use this setting in the first place, and a race use only flash map is required for any N54 single turbo use.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 06-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Sounds like an EPA issue

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer
Sounds like an EPA issue
Fortunately the JB4 is a piggyback and what it can change is limited by the sensors it connects too which makes the testing process easier as there are less variables. It's not like a flash map where one can go in and disable emissions controls or directly change fuel timing or ignition. Everything runs through the factory DME and its built in range checks and fault detection system. We have our JB4 1A emissions testing reports on file for the most aggressive pump fuel settings. And with some minor changes around the edges like this interface change to block any setting that could cause noncompliance we're good to go moving forward.

The reality is in the future piggyback tuning systems like the JB4, with limits on what they can alter, will be the only tunes widely available. Unless laws are changed it's easy for the EPA to shut down any flash tune that allows users to modify something that might result in noncompliance of the 1A standards. When I see people talk about MHD flash tuning, Cobb flash tuning, BM3, and other flash tunes that do not have these limitations believe me they soon will.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM

This is not a general discussion thread. Deleted a few posts to clean it up. If you have questions about the interface change ask away. Just keep in mind general complaints and gripes will be removed. Discussion of using competition race use only parts in an illegal way will be removed.

We understand this change is an inconvenience for some of you but it's a necessary change and will make it easier for us to continue to provide our USA customers with free JB4 developments, features, and maps in the future.

Burger Motorsports