N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default S55 M3 PURE Turbo Dyno Testing - 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Hey guys,

Had a chance to get our development M3 strapped down for some preliminary tuning with the PURE turbos. The purpose of the testing was to evaluate the boost control, fueling, and timing, and not necessarily to extract the most power out of the setup.

The test car is a 2015 DCT running a JB4, PURE Turbos, ER *****, BMS meth kit, and K&N drop in filters. The fuel was a mix of 25% E85, 25% 91, and 50% 100. Meth was a 70% mix.

There is a lot more than I want to get in to with this post so I'll just throw up a few random notes along with a bit of data.

1) All runs were done using the JB4 progressive meth control which keeps boost at stock like levels UNTIL methanol is flowing. This prevents dangerous tip-in knock and lean conditions that can come along with non-integrated meth kits. And if you ever run out of methanol or got forbid a line comes loose, you don't lose the engine.

2) These PURE turbos spool much better than I expected they would. It's really not that much worse than stock and very similar to RB turbos on an N54 for those of you coming from that platform.

3) Fueling is a major headache. The JB4 is able to alter the air/fuel ratio & fuel trims (within limits) as you can see in the attached dyno charts showing power at various air/fuel ratios. I've found the engine runs much smoother at leaner than I'd expect air/fuel ratios. Like high 12s at higher RPM. If you get it in the 11s it has a nasty misfire/stutter tendency. There is a lot more work to be done on the fueling end and we may also need to tighten up the spark plug gap for these power levels.

4) I've recently started testing a new method for JB4 direct timing adjustment intended for large turbos. It increases the adjustment window an extra 4 degrees or so. I'm thinking it will come in handy for pump gas large turbo tuning. On the current fuel mix & meth at around 29psi I found MBT to be higher than I expected. In the 11-12 degree range at higher RPM.

5) I let off most runs at around 6500-6800rpm but I can verify the turbos hold full boost to redline without issue. I'll wind it out more on the dyno next time around.

Up next I'll need to grab some 60-130 times for comparison to the stock turbos! Hoping for 6s! The best our 650whp M5 ever did on a 2% slope was 7.1s.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 01-21-2015, 05:44 PM

Woo! Congrats Sir!
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 01-21-2015, 05:46 PM

Very nice!

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 01-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Hell yeah! looks like it's running like a freaking BEAST! PURE turbos FTW baby!

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM

I just remembered I did rev it out for one of the runs. Here is that run compared to the same car on meth only using the factory turbos. How's another 100whp up top from turbos sound? lol
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 01-21-2015, 07:45 PM

looks an awful lot like the rbs of the s55 world lol.

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM

This will be dominating a lot of cars.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-21-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
This will be dominating a lot of cars.
Couldn't agree more. I was surprised with you and his race when he was jb4 only in Bakersfield

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Those turbos are a big win if you ask me

F21 M140i - currently stock
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 5.1, 60-130: 6.0
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.6, 60-130: 5.3
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#10)
Old

Default 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Terry, can you make a prediction of what you'd likely see WHP-wise with 100oct and no meth?
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkiedm4
Those turbos are a big win if you ask me
Couldn't agree more. The car looks and runs 100% stock except that it makes much more power now. And I'm sure the turbos have another 50whp in them when I'm ready for it.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 01-21-2015, 09:58 PM

How much power can we get with just pump and these turbos?
(#13)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 01-21-2015, 10:46 PM

Now who's going to win between your M3 and Pure's M4. He's making a whopping 15 more HP/TQ and you're DCT vs his MT. My guess is you guys will be just about even. I'm more excited to see what cars each of you are able to beat on Saturday
(#14)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 01-21-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Now who's going to win between your M3 and Pure's M4. He's making a whopping 15 more HP/TQ and you're DCT vs his MT. My guess is you guys will be just about even. I'm more excited to see what cars each of you are able to beat on Saturday
Same here

F21 M140i - currently stock
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 5.1, 60-130: 6.0
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.6, 60-130: 5.3
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR
How much power can we get with just pump and these turbos?
No idea yet. Probably around 500whp. I'll do some pump dyno testing in a couple weeks.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
DCT FTW.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old
N54TECH FTMFW

Car: E92 335i
Default 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
Terry, can you make a prediction of what you'd likely see WHP-wise with 100oct and no meth?
+1 for 100oct or equivalent (e85 mix) dynos

For those that may not have a meth kit....
(#18)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
DCT FTW.
Yes haha +1 to this

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM

E85 only isn't an option yet. Fuel system isn't supporting it. But straight race gas we'll have to see. The system is heavily relying on meth for fuel currently.

What the platform really needs is port injection. Then we could run straight E85 or race gas without fueling limitations.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Car: 2015 Bmw M4
Default 01-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
E85 only isn't an option yet. Fuel system isn't supporting it. But straight race gas we'll have to see. The system is heavily relying on meth for fuel currently.

What the platform really needs is port injection. Then we could run straight E85 or race gas without fueling limitations.
What about 93oct and meth you think we can see some good numbers for that?
(#21)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Is it doing the same thing as the N54? Dropping LPFP pressure right now?

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Low pressure is great. High pressure is an issue.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flewbyu335
What about 93oct and meth you think we can see some good numbers for that?
With meth in the mix 600whp shouldn't be too much of an issue on good 93.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: 2015 Bmw M4
Default 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
With meth in the mix 600whp shouldn't be too much of an issue on good 93.
So thats not to bad what kind of meth mix we have to run to support that set up?
(#25)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM

This car is going to be beast. All the single turbo N54s need to watch out. Especially the MT ones haha.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!