N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default N63 550i S2 Dyno & Upgrade Kit Directions - 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Note the N63 Stage2 upgrade has been discontinued and replaced by the N63 JB4 system: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40626

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, LLC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, LLC hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

Order the upgrade kit here: http://www.burgertuning.com/N63_JB4_upgrades.html

Hey guys,

This is the central thread for all things n63 Stage2 related.

Dyno Testing:

Test car:
Our 2011 550i w/ 35k miles
~93 octane (91 octane + 1 can of NOS octane booster)
Carbon filters removed

Dyno notes:
1) The air intake on this system is highly restrictive but removing the carbon filters seemed to improve flow. I'd strongly suggest it for all stages. We'll look in to testing drop in filters and other options to improve overall airflow. In the dynos below we removed the carbon filters after the stock & S1 testing but before the S2 testing.
2) The highest of the dynos was tuned a bit overly aggressive (had two timing drops during the pull) but gives a feeling for what this S2 tuning might do with a race gas mixture rather than straight 93. With a race gas mixture I think another ~20hp is on the table. We'll go back to the dyno after some addl programming changes are implemented to test this out.
3) OEM boost peaked at 10psi, S1 12psi, S2 15psi, and S2 Agr 16psi. Note for some yet unresolved reason our N63 runs 1-2psi more in bank1 than bank2. The figures quoted are averages of both banks.

N63 Stage2 notes:

1) The upgrade kit consists of a new control box and 4 extra wire pairs. The extra wires plug in to the Stage1 harness and then are installed inside the DME box in a "pin out" (fully reversible) configuration. To install these wires you will take apart the DME connector, pull out a factory pin, stick the JB pin in its place, and then plug the factor pin in to a corresponding JB pin to make a complete loop. This will be the only installation method offered.
2) We expect this upgrade will work with all n63 models. It DOES NOT work with n63tu (twin ECU) models.
3) The S2 will not include CANbus access and will not have any can related features. We strongly suggest having a BT cable for code reading, deleting, and datalogging. They are $179 on our site. In addition you will want a $35 BMS USB cable for Stage2 logging and firmware updates. The USB cable is the same one you may have already purchased for your Stage1.
4) Due to fueling limitations this platform will not accept E85 fuels. For higher than pump gas performance we suggest MMT based octane boosters such as NOS RACE & Torco or unleaded race gas.
5) The S1->S2 upgrade kit is $350.
6) We've noticed a lot of n63s throw a MAF sensor code at higher rpm/power levels. In some cases replacing the sensor with a new one has resolved the issue. The best price we've found is at rockauto.com BOSCH Part 0280218270, Mass Air Flow Sensor, $ 119.99.
7) Please do not email me asking for additional N63 S2 information. It is not practical for us to disperse information in a one on one format especially when any information we wish to share publicly is posted in this thread. So if something is not covered feel free to ask it in this thread.

Adjustment:

The Stage2 uses the JB4 interface, not the old Stage1 interface. So update that interface before attempting to connect and/or log.

There are a few user adjustment values that can be played with by more experienced enthusiast. Note any tuning changes especially those done to make the tuning more aggressive should only be done if you are carefully watching timing advance & AFR using a BT cable to ensure the motor is running safely for the fuel and tuning.

Map: On the front page of the interface there is a map drop down box. Map 0 disables the S2 all together. Map 1 enables it. There are no other maps.
Boost Failsafe PSI: This is the part of the aggressiveness setting. Higher numbers means more boost, lower numbers means less boost. Generally a setting of 2.5-3 is suggested.
Default Wastegate Position: This mislabeled setting has to do with how the tune alters the DME's charge air temperature reading. Generally a setting of 2 is suggested which is the algorithm we've worked up to maximize the gains while minimizing the trade offs. A setting of 1 can be used to "lock" the tune in to max aggressive mode. But this will trigger fault codes within the DME during cold starts and may result in your engine cooling fans working a lot harder than they need to. Generally a setting of 1 is good for track or dyno days, and a setting of 2 is good for street use. A higher setting of say 5 or 10 would make the overall tuning less aggressive. A setting of 0 would disable this feature and make the boost curve more similar to the Stage1 tuning.
Open Loop: This controls the overall fueling capacity. The default setting is suggested but a lower setting can be used to lean the mixture out if desired.

I'll update this thread with more info as we have it.

Reference video for obsolete N63 Stage2 system. Use this video as a guide for how to access pins but note black/brown BCM wires on N63/S63 JB4 go in DIFFERENT locations.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM

This all on 93? If so I'm happy
Also what's the difference vs stage 1 and this boost/timing/AFR wise ?
Love the TQ btw
(#3)
Old

Default 12-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Never mind just saw 93 wow
(#4)
Old

Car: X5 50i Beast
Default 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Sweetness. And this is on a '400 HP' N63 right?

2012 X5 E70 50i MSport, JB Stage 2
2015 GTi w/PP, Neuspeed Stage 1
(#5)
Old

Default 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ilurker
Sweetness. And this is on a '400 HP' N63 right?
Correct 2011 550i
(#6)
Old

Default 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Man 537whtq my 750 will feel even lighter hehehe
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Wow, those things are strong in stock form. Big torque numbers. Very nice Mr T.
(#8)
Old

Car: F10 550i Xdrive
Default 12-23-2013, 07:12 PM

i knew it this will be out before Christmas!

F10 550i xdrive Carbon Black Aluminum BMS Stage 2 WR 11.943 @117.940 Time Slip 421AWHP 467.9 AWTQ MUSTANG DYNO
(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 335i X-Drive E90
Default 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM

ohhh... so looking forward to this, put me on the list! Thanks for the update Santa.... errr.... Terry!

Terry, Can you please confirm the BT Cable is... http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Only asking because the nothing above 2010 is listed on the applications list.

Thanks!

Rich

Last edited by rborgia; 12-23-2013 at 07:56 PM..
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborgia
ohhh... so looking forward to this, put me on the list! Thanks for the update Santa.... errr.... Terry!

Terry, Can you please confirm the BT Cable is... http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Only asking because the nothing above 2010 is listed on the applications list.

Thanks!

Rich
That's the one. We'll have to update the site.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4xbmw7
Man 537whtq my 750 will feel even lighter hehehe
Yes these cars are damn heavy. This car may have a shot at 11s though full weight. If our 135i isn't ready for the 2/1 Famoso track day this will be my backup car.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: F10 550i Xdrive
Default 12-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes these cars are damn heavy. This car may have a shot at 11s though full weight. If our 135i isn't ready for the 2/1 Famoso track day this will be my backup car.
waiting for Race gas numbers =D

F10 550i xdrive Carbon Black Aluminum BMS Stage 2 WR 11.943 @117.940 Time Slip 421AWHP 467.9 AWTQ MUSTANG DYNO
(#13)
Old

Car: 2014 550i
Default 12-24-2013, 02:55 AM

Very cool Terry.
You have my number let me know if you need a 14 for testing.

Happy holidays

Marc
(#14)
Old

Default 12-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Would love to see the 550 at the drag strip .

On your above Dyno Notes you mention about testing drop in filters ?
So we could have a BMS replacement Drop in high flow Air filter ? Would be great
(#15)
Old

Car: 335i M sport
Default 12-24-2013, 08:23 AM

w0o h0o
(#16)
Old

Car: 2013 C63 AMG
Default 12-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Great results terry.

What 2/1 Famoso event are you referring to?

2015 Nissan GTR
FBO E85
665whp/668wtq (SAE Dynojet 224)
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtyper
Great results terry.

What 2/1 Famoso event are you referring to?
Check "SpankTime's" facebook. They organized another event.

Quote:
It's official, Saturday February 1st 2014 is our next Team ST 1/4 mile shoot out Track Day at Famoso Raceway!! It has officially gotten BIGGER!

Details: cost will be $135 per racer, $10 per spectator. To pay, send the money/car type/name to PayPal account mont2@att.net

All 100 racers loved the last one and got sooo many runs in! It will be a blast!!!! Sign up now!!

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: X5 50i Beast
Default 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM

That's going to be X5M numbers right there.

Already have S1. Where do I sign up.

2012 X5 E70 50i MSport, JB Stage 2
2015 GTi w/PP, Neuspeed Stage 1
(#19)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 12-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
~93 octane (91 octane + 1 can of NOS octane booster)
Terry, have you actually tested this?

You are the first and only reputable tuner I've ever heard of who even mentions octane-boosters. While I've never cared to buy some or test it, they have long been considered bogus and a complete waste of time.
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
Terry, have you actually tested this?

You are the first and only reputable tuner I've ever heard of who even mentions octane-boosters. While I've never cared to buy some or test it, they have long been considered bogus and a complete waste of time.
The MMT based octane boosters are pretty effective at raising fuel around 2 full pts. There are a few magazine tests you can search for where they measure the effective octane before and after using a rating machine.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 335i M sport
Default 12-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Xylene from home depot is cheaper and a 100% effective alternative for octane booster
(#22)
Old

Default 12-26-2013, 01:33 PM

My stage 1 dyno numbers are spot on vs your S1 dyno except I was completely heat soaked and almost 100* heat on the Dyno .
Ready to go and test S2 anytime is ready to roll
Here's my before , power dropped earlier do to extreme heat soak.

Run conditions 91* and car running for a little over 30 minutes before the second pull which yield higher numbers.

(#23)
Old

Default 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM

You took your filters out too? Do u daily like that or just dyno?

Quote:
My stage 1 dyno numbers are spot on vs your S1 dyno except I was completely heat soaked and almost 100* heat on the Dyno .
Ready to go and test S2 anytime is ready to roll
Here's my before , power dropped earlier do to extreme heat soak.

Run conditions 91* and car running for a little over 30 minutes before the second pull which yield higher numbers.

(#24)
Old

Default 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatbmw
You took your filters out too? Do u daily like that or just dyno?
Yes Charcoal filters removed and i daily just like this .
Ran it at Atlanta Dragway and had some traction issue and huge bug-down on 1s-2nd shift and managed 13.43@108 2.2 60' weighing in 4965lbs with me in it .
I believe with good traction a 12.7-8 is there and the MPH are there .
(#25)
Old

Default 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yes Charcoal filters removed and i daily just like this .
Ran it at Atlanta Dragway and had some traction issue and huge bug-down on 1s-2nd shift and managed 13.43@108 2.2 60' weighing in 4965lbs with me in it .
I believe with good traction a 12.7-8 is there and the MPH are there .
I'm tempted too also but don't wanna ruin anything.

My car boggs between 1st and 2nd shift all the time in Manuel mode.