N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Cerato GT 1.6T
Default 1.6T non-linear acceleration - 10-20-2020, 04:24 PM

I originally installed the JB4 as per the online instructions with the 3 black and 1 brown cable connected to the intake manifold. When I ran maps 1 and 2 my engine began to stutter at idle and when accelerating the car would drop power momentarily through the rev range (log attached).
Thought I had the cables around the wrong way so I swapped them (rainbow on the intake manifold) and that seemed to fix the issue but other people have suggested this is incorrect?
Could Terry/someone advise what they think is happening? I've also attached screenshots from my settings if that helps.

at the time of the log:
spark plugs gapped to 0.022
map 2
3rd gear
100RON (5% ethanol)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 201010_1703.csv (6.8 KB, 14 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Brown on manifold, rainbow on chargepipe, is how it's supposed to be. Especially if using the DWP test setting on the alpha firmware.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Brown on manifold, rainbow on chargepipe, is how it's supposed to be. Especially if using the DWP test setting on the alpha firmware.
Thanks terry, I have swapped the cables back again to brown on manifold. Any ideas why it is still running poorly?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-20-2020, 05:25 PM

The log itself looks fine. Try map1.

Could be plugs or some other issue with the car causing issues at higher than factory boost levels. Could also be an issue with the fuel control so disable that under options.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-20-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The log itself looks fine. Try map1.

Could be plugs or some other issue with the car causing issues at higher than factory boost levels. Could also be an issue with the fuel control so disable that under options.
Ok had another go with map 1 and fuel control disabled. Still had some stuttering at idle and the acceleration was better, but still seemed jolty - log attached. Another guy I spoke to in Aus said he was having similar issues even with upgraded spark plugs, but worst comes to worst I can get new ones and see how I go. *edit: just checked with him and he had the spark plugs installed after he swapped the cables so that rainbow was connected to inake manifold*
Attached Files
File Type: csv 201021_1115.csv (7.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mbr; 10-20-2020 at 06:12 PM..
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-20-2020, 08:28 PM

Map0 log for comparison?

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 10-21-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Map0 log for comparison?
Map 0 log attached, didnt seem to jump as much during acceleration but still had a stutter on idle which wasn't happening when I had the cables plugged in the wrong way.

I've ordered new spark plugs either way to make sure its not that so we'll see how they go!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 201021_1802.csv (8.4 KB, 13 views)
(#8)
Old

Default 10-30-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Map0 log for comparison?
Hey Terry, so I've installed new HKS sparkplugs and the issue is still there. I've attached a log of the motor idling if that helps at all. I also did a small run using the raw data logging which looks completely different to my other logs with the boost going all over the place. Any ideas why it's still running poorly? fuel control was disabled for all of this by the way.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: csv 201031_1031_idle.csv (281.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: csv 201031_1040_throttle.csv (432.5 KB, 10 views)
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2020, 07:43 PM

You could set DWP back to 0 and reverse the cables if the car runs better that way. Maybe one of your sensors has a dirty ground.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 10-30-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You could set DWP back to 0 and reverse the cables if the car runs better that way. Maybe one of your sensors has a dirty ground.
Alright will do thanks, does it usually make a difference if the cables are reversed?
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr
Alright will do thanks, does it usually make a difference if the cables are reversed?
The only real difference would be the DWP test algorithm can't be used, at least at the moment. But I can fix that later.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 10-31-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
The only real difference would be the DWP test algorithm can't be used, at least at the moment. But I can fix that later.
Ok thanks again, will switch the dwp to 0.
Just wanted to make sure I can still get full functionality as intended even with the cables swapped.