N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i
Default N55 Stage 3 Vanos Settings - 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Peers,

I have a very modified N55 with a speedtech kit. I have been struggling with tuning for 6 months daily (DD car ) I had timing issues with MHD alone and boost control issues with JB4. Some can be found here:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54932

With MHD people are tweaking the PID system and WGDC base tables for boost control. This alone is a HUGE topic with many variables that you can review with some searching. I decided to stick with (after coming back) with my JB4 for reasons described in the above post. Therefore I could not change the PID variables. I needed better boost control with the JB4. What I was experiencing is HUGE oscillations post tip in (up to 6 psi). It was like flooring, letting off, and flooring again. I tried dozens of things because I thought it had to be the BMS PID system. Terry suggested his thoughts is it must be the VE of the engine. I fought this until nothing else worked lol.

Assumptions:
1. Factory turbofold is VERY restrictive and therefore using ANY aftermarket manifold will significantly reduce pre turbo manifold pressure
2. Stage 3 turbos flow much more at a given pressure

Hypothesis: High turbo manifold pressure will increase force closing exhaust valve and have high resistance of flow from cylinder to manifold in all scenarios other than soon after ignition. Higher flow at given pressure will increase the flow into combustion chamber and increase the ability to communicate with turbofold. It seems VERY reasonable that the vanos settings, especially at tip in, would be different between a stock turbofold vs a stage 3. One part of this is true for the PS2 but not to the extent that it is for the stage 3 kits. I think it is VERY hard for a fast spooling stage 3 (aka speedtech 7670). Big single top mounts shift the spool point to where the vanos settings are already very different compared to stock turbo tip in. I have a A2W set up so my actual ride might be the MOST effected by this lol.
Experiment: After trying everything in the above I tried the following:
1. Increase IN (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).
2. Reduce IN (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).
3. Increase EX (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).
4. Reduce EX (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).

From this I saw vanos has a HUGH effect (good and bad) at tip in control. the one that made the MOST difference (drastic) is 1. From this point I tool #1 from above and:
1.1. Increase EX (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).
1.2. Reduce EX (warm) vs stock table at 2750 and 148 by 5% and blend to lower RPM and load (but not upper).

For both it was not as good as just 1

From this point I took the original #1 and further increased
1.3: Increase IN (warm) vs table #1 at 2750 and 148 by 3% and blend to lower RPM and load. Increased the 6000 and 148 by 3% and blend to lower loads.

Conclusion: For MY car the original #1 worked VERY well. Total I have 20-25 logs on the variations above. I now have SUPER SMOOTH boost control, hits 20 psi by 3100 +/- 100 depending on variables and .5 psi or so variation. Its CRAZY how different the car is. I will dyno sometime in the next few months. I am not sure if I will play with the tables anymore.

I am not stating that my settings will work for others. I am stating, if you have oscillating boost control issues with MHD or JB4/BEF and cannot tune it out you should play with vanos settings. I am suggesting you will likely have more luck with IN(warm) then with the EX(warm) tables.

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Very technical, this is going to be for the people who flash and actually know what they're talking about.

This is where I exit LOL

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-08-2018, 07:57 AM

@payam

I don’t think so.... lol

I only have a light grasp on this and just want to provide my own data. Will take someone more competent to consider better advise for the masses

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#4)
Old

Default 10-08-2018, 07:58 AM

Also for 2 days I’ve been on the aforementioned #1 and so far so good.

(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturboawd
@payam

I donít think so.... lol

I only have a light grasp on this and just want to provide my own data. Will take someone more competent to consider better advise for the masses
Haha, I'm sure more will follow and reply if they can. I just honestly have no idea what to say or recommend LOL. Reading and learning more things is what I like to do, so I will follow.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.