N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Guapped Guapped is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 07 335i
Default Another Misfire Thread - 04-28-2020, 08:34 PM

I have a 07 335i and I have a subtle misfire only at idle when my car is warm, it starts with no issues ever, and never misfires on cold starts. I only notice it after I drive a bit and stop at a light. No codes are thrown and I installed new plugs and coils 2k miles ago and it did not change anything. I have been looking on forums for awhile now trying to figure this out but now I have the money for a single turbo and would like to take care of this before I go to a single. Any suggestions appreciated I have a old log I will attach as well, I am now stage 2+ fbo.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-10-27 19_29_55 I8A0S v7.1 Stage 1 93oct_98ron.csv (9.8 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Milan's Avatar
Milan Milan is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 822
Join Date: Sep 2014
Car: 08 335xi
Default 04-29-2020, 09:56 AM

Usually these cars start to misfire when something is about to die. I would guess your o2 or injectors are on their way out.

For now check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks. You do a walnut blast ever?


09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Guapped Guapped is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 07 335i
Default 04-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Usually these cars start to misfire when something is about to die. I would guess your o2 or injectors are on their way out.

For now check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks. You do a walnut blast ever?
I kind of donít think itís injectors due to symptoms of injectors typically are more then what I have issues with, itís never been walnut blasted but I ordered a walnut blasting kit from fcp Euro hoping it fixes it and if not just good maintence, idk if It has ever been done I bought the car 6k miles ago and itís at 88k now. I havenít really thought about O2 sensors much, Iíll look into it and see what tests or if logs can maybe give me some suggestion there going bad. Thank you for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
N54_ABQ's Avatar
N54_ABQ N54_ABQ is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Join Date: Apr 2018
Car: 2007 BMW E92 335i
Default 04-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Do a compression test. If one or more cylinders are low do a leak-down test. 170-180 is preferable. 140-150 can be considered low, but if all cylinders are the same there's no great cause for concern.

Do this especially if you're planning on single turbo. No sense in throwing more boost at a sick motor.


2007 335i E92 6MT FBO, Stock Turbos
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Guapped Guapped is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 07 335i
Default 04-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_ABQ
Do a compression test. If one or more cylinders are low do a leak-down test. 170-180 is preferable. 140-150 can be considered low, but if all cylinders are the same there's no great cause for concern.

Do this especially if you're planning on single turbo. No sense in throwing more boost at a sick motor.
I will look into this, thank you.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Milan's Avatar
Milan Milan is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 822
Join Date: Sep 2014
Car: 08 335xi
Default 04-29-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapped
I kind of donít think itís injectors due to symptoms of injectors typically are more then what I have issues with, itís never been walnut blasted but I ordered a walnut blasting kit from fcp Euro hoping it fixes it and if not just good maintence, idk if It has ever been done I bought the car 6k miles ago and itís at 88k now. I havenít really thought about O2 sensors much, Iíll look into it and see what tests or if logs can maybe give me some suggestion there going bad. Thank you for the suggestions!
If itís only when your car is warm I would bet itís o2. Can you log them and see if they are switching normally or if one is lagging?


09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Guapped Guapped is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 07 335i
Default 04-29-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
If itís only when your car is warm I would bet itís o2. Can you log them and see if they are switching normally or if one is lagging?
I can take new logs in a few hours, what should I be looking for in the logs, I have probably 5 old logs on my laptop I can look at for now.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
Guapped Guapped is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 07 335i
Default 04-29-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapped
I can take new logs in a few hours, what should I be looking for in the logs, I have probably 5 old logs on my laptop I can look at for now.
I looked at old logs and afr`s seem pretty good from what I can tell. I will do some more logs tonight and see what I can find.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright © 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com