N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Strangest N54 I've ever come across - 12-08-2016, 02:09 PM

Long @ LT Motorwerks sent over an N54 car today for me to help tune. It's a Nissan RHD 240z with an N54 single turbo retrofit! Absolutely the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Name:  IMG_20161208_120848097.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  207.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20161208_121447337.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  219.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20161208_121437941.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  155.4 KB

Unfortunately after closer inspection I found a few little things that have to be addressed before we can fully tune it. Can you spot the three problems in this picture?

Name:  oops.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  183.1 KB

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
H O O N

Car: Ein M
Default 12-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Neat! MAP sensor, O2 sensor, and TB vacuum port?

Haha was wondering what they did with the O2s when the first pic popped up on IG.

H O O N

Last edited by Snertz; 12-08-2016 at 02:26 PM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 2010 535i
Default 12-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Clean. I wonder if an N54 would fit in the Gozer.

(#4)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 12-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Ha! That's neat!

-O2's not per bank and a mile away from the motor
-CP coupler is going to pop off
-Pos lug on the alternator should be capped
-Tmap is hanging out in the engine bay!
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 12-08-2016, 03:35 PM

I remember before I joined BMS Me and Anthony were supposed to work on it. He never brought it to us though. Glad its actually working!!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Turbos
Ha! That's neat!

-O2's not per bank and a mile away from the motor
-CP coupler is going to pop off
-Pos lug on the alternator should be capped
-Tmap is hanging out in the engine bay!
Haha yes the three obvious problems I was talking about was the o2 sensors being so far downstream, not seperated by bank, and the TMAP sensor not mounted in the chargepipe. But the chargepipe does look loose and there are various other minor things. Another problem we ran in today was there is no OBDII port.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-08-2016, 04:02 PM

This is absolutely insane. Thanks for sharing.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#8)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 12-08-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Haha yes the three obvious problems I was talking about was the o2 sensors being so far downstream, not seperated by bank, and the TMAP sensor not mounted in the chargepipe. But the chargepipe does look loose and there are various other minor things. Another problem we ran in today was there is no OBDII port.
Oh, ya. He's going to need one of those...
(#9)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 12-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Nice! )

Terry, please share if single bank O2 issue will be solved

Lol, i wonder how they change spark plug on sixth cylinder

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#10)
Old

Car: 2008 535xiT e61
Default 12-08-2016, 10:48 PM

1. Throttle body connector is unpugged
2. Charge pipe needs map sensor bung tapped into it
3. No throttle body bypass air hose

Sick project! I'm so happy to see the n54 being swapped into different chassis

2008 e61 535xit: VTT GCs, Fuel-it PI, fuelab FPR w/ return line, stage 2 lpfp, fuelab "700" inline pump, RB external PCV, VRSF 7.5" race FMIC, Inlets, outlet, AR ***, 3" chargepiping, 3" exhaust, JB4, BMS PI controller

Last edited by samstryker; 12-08-2016 at 10:54 PM..
(#11)
Old

Car: 335i xdrive
Default 12-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
All that work and no standalone EMS?
(#12)
Old

Car: 07 E92 335i
Default 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan-i
Nice! )

Lol, i wonder how they change spark plug on sixth cylinder
That is a great point

2007 E92 335i 6MT
New Jersey
N54-Tuning 3'' Downp!pes, Vrsf 5'' Intercooler, Vrsf Charge Pipe, Tial-Q BOV, Vrsf Lower Charge Pipe, Act HDSD Clutch, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS Intakes, Custom Axle Back w/ 3" Tips
(#13)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 12-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Pretty clean for what it is. Needs a lot more than tuning help thats for sure. Shouldn't it be a requirement, that the person performing the engine swap at least know a little bit about the motor he is swapping in? Good luck with that one, looks like a can of worms to get working properly.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Whoever made the turbo manifold and pipe did a nice job but missed some basic steps in terms of the O2 placement and such. Don't think they knew much about N54s in particular though. Also wish they would have gone with a PTE compressor. But at the end of the day even with 600whp or whatever this car will be stupid fast.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 12-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Shocked

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !
(#16)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Now I know I can do my n54 swap! Terry, does that even run? Doesn't that need a n54 ecu,or standalone to run the direct injection?? Insane piece! Keep us updated with the progress!
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Yes seems to run normally using a factory DME and harness they cut up a bit. They also put in the gateway and E series N54 dash modules. The fuel gauge doesn't work and the DME throws like 20 faults for various missing things it would normally have out on the CANbus like stability control, SRS, etc, but car runs and drives fine as far as I can tell. Once the o2 sensors and TMAP are sorted we'll see if it makes any power.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 12-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Very cool, must've been fun getting that up the driveway.
(#19)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 12-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Can you share drivetrain set up ? What tranny, driveshaft, rearend, gear ratio, and rear suspension set up plz.