N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335xi 6spd
Default Hexon Autowerks Hybrid 1+ Turbos and Inlets - 04-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Repost from e90post if you didn't see it.

What's up guys. I'll first introduce myself as I lurk on forums and don't post much if at all.
My name is Jake. I've been an automotive tech for 9 years. Unlike many techs I don't turn down work so I'm well versed.
That being said I've come from aftermarket modifications of rotarys, Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, DSMs/EVOs, etc.
At one point I've owned every one of these mentioned platforms.

Back story of our (my wife's DD 07 335xi). Car was purchased with 120k and the P.O. had turbos done shortly before then, long story short the installer RTV'd the F***ing oil drains!
As you all know this is a huge no-no, especially with the N54 not having the best oil drain setup to begin with.
In hopes of not having to replace the turbos I chased some of the easy stuff first: Valve cover, RB PCV valve, vent valve, etc to no avail.

Onto the review of Wayne with Hexon.

1/31 First inquired about Hexon's sale to upgrade turbos with inlet kit and put a depost down of $500 to secure my order. I was advised that my kit would be ready at the end of February.

3/3 Advised my Turbos were finally ready. Okay no biggie, a week behind, I needed time to get funds together anyway.

3/10 Advised Wayne that I was ready to pay.

3/15 Advised shipment ETA of 3/29!

3/18 Wayne finally sends me an invoice after I continually bugged him that I was ready to pay and had made arrangements to get my car in at work so I could R+R (remove and replace) the turbos.
At this point I'm getting a little irritated by the whole run around of now 2 weeks passing and I hadn't paid till then, let alone having received a tracking number...and the shipment date is now 3.5 weeks later then what I was originally told on 3/3.

3/21 I get DHL shipment conformation.

3/23 I received the turbos. Holy-fast-shipping DHL! Pretty awesome but still sucks I'm now an entire month behind schedule. Whatever **** happens.
I inspect the turbos and they look great, HOWEVER there is no install kit (gaskets and seals) WTF.
I advise Wayne, that night I didn't recieve the install kit.

3/25 Refund received for install kit as I sourced it locally from my BMW dealer.

3/26 Pulled turbos and while I had the engine cradle out I replaced my oil pan gasket. Upon removal I inspected the oil pan and to my surprise the oil and oil varnish was incredibly clean. P.O.s had really kept to religious oil changes it appears based upon the thousands of engines I've opened up for inspection.

I also inspected my valve seals, clean and dry!
Walnut blast was done 8k ago on my intake valves by myself. (I'm a tech duh!)
What a pain in the ass job to do both, but saved time doing it separately!
I also R+R'd the thermostat since your literally right there and it's cheap insurance.
Since the cradle was out I also took the time to install a RH 335IS engine mount since mine has made noise from day 1(check out the tsb).

So here's noteworthy info:
Oil pan completely drained and inspected for internal engine wear
Liqui Moly 5w-40 Used at start-up
Spark plugs have maybe 3k on them.
All coolant lines, and oil lines were cleaned in a solvent bath, sprayed with brake cleaner, and blown out with compressed air till dry.
Engine was primed with oil pressure by disabled coils and injectors

Fired the car up. SWEET! runs good, no leaks. I'm pumped!
I let the car run in the shop till it hits operating temp and probably 5 minutes of IDLE time before I leave with the car.
The car never smoked idling.
Go to pull the car out of the shop and it starts running like crap and smoking.
Drive the car around the block and I get misfire codes, dumping trails of smoke.
Pull the car back in the shop and move some coils around. (Less then 600 miles on coils)
No change, cylinders 1 and 2 misfire.
Hmmm okay, weird.
Double check all my work, everything looks great. WTF.
Go for another drive and I got weird valvetrain noise and another code for timing correlation and the exhaust vanos solenoid.

At this point I'm relieved, but frustrated. I then had my Dad run a new Vanos solenoid up to my work. By now it's 7pm at night and I started at 630am.
I'm totally spent physically and mentally.

Replaced the vanos solenoid and kept getting codes for it. Now I'm really frustrated and fried.
Drained the oil thinking maybe it didn't like the new oil. ( It's suggested in the diagnostic flowchart)
Pulled the drainplug - HOLY **** thats a lot of metal.....hmmm what the....it's aluminum?Non magnetic for sure!

Now I'm just done. I'm so pissed I go home to figure out what the hell is going on.

Next few days I got some injectors to swap in thinking that my injectors finally **** the bed with the misfires/smoke from being stuck open...but all that metal had me pondering.

4/1
Acquired some low mileage index 9 injectors for $100 to address my misfires/smoke.
Car runs great for a 2 mile test drive loop. SWEET!!
Let the car idle outside while I grab engine covers, etc.
Come back out to the car blowing smoke like crazy and misfiring terribly.
Pull all 6 spark plugs.
4-6 look awesome...perfect actually.
1-3 are drenched in oil...what the hell.

Compression test. 170psi across the board. Okay...I don't have dead cylinders or a bent rod. There has to be something going on with the turbo. Considering the car was fine when I drove it there and it's isolated to the front bank.

At this point you may have seen my post's using my wife's facebook in the 335i group. (I hate FB, though nice for certain instances: parts/quick info/etc)

I start tearing the car back apart.
Front turbo has massive shaft play, is leaking externally from the CHRA, and is blowing oil into the exhaust killing my front lamada probe. I later inspected the rear turbo which also has considerable shaft play, is leaking externally as well although dry in the exhaust.

4/1 I contact Wayne.

At this point I'm pissed. I just spent all this time and money on junk turbos.
Consider even the fact that I'm not paid to install these.
Wayne agrees to send me a new set, gasket set, lamada, etc.

4/6 Given ETA of 10 days from that day. So lets figure the 16th considering Wayne told me his production crew is working overtime. Thats not including Sundays. So my turbos should ship out 4/18 right? Nope.

4/12 I haven't received a deposit for my core turbos ($500) nor any update on the proposed shipment date of my turbos. I'm so pissed at this point I almost tell Wayne I want a full refund, which he agreed to, but after reading the bad reviews of VTT and other turbo manufacturers costing way more and the additional time and dicking around with turbo cores - I decide to stick with Hexon and give Wayne the opportunity to make this right.

4/15 Advised the replacement turbos will be delivered by 4/22. Ok great. I can get the car running by Saturday the 23rd?

4/20 Advised my Turbos were ready, install kit shipped.

4/22 - Yesterday. Finally get my $500 deposit for my original cores and FINALLY get DHL shipment confirmation.

I dumped 10 quarts through the pan with cheap out to "Flush" any remaining metal out of the pan, the oil passages will be flushed with brake cleaner and compressed air followed by my pan "flushing" method, followed by rapid oil and filter changes with Mann oil filters and Rotella T6 followed by a final fill of Liqui Moly 5w-40.
Additionally I'm sending in an oil analysis to blackstone after I explained them the situation and advised them I'm looking for confirmation of what types of metal are present.

It's by pure luck my Boss is super cool to let me even have the car sit in our service parking this long, provide me with a loaner car for my wife to drive, let me work on the car in the shop and let me take time off work to speed up the process.
Hopefully people can get a better representation of Hexon through my review. I will update this thread once I get time to install the turbos.

(Did I mention my wife's 24weeks pregnant with our first and I'm in the process of remodeling our house before the baby comes?! LOL I'll sleep when I'm dead.)

Oh! As for the inlets. They need minor tweaking to fit perfectly.
Fitment is 7/10. The rear silicone coupler is very tough to squeeze in the firewall and block. The front pipe mounting bracket needs to be shimmed or bent away from the block to avoid contacting the drive belt and components.

In the midst of this my phone died so I lost a lot of pictures I'm in the process of recovering.

Stay tuned. Rant over.

4/24 Advised by Wayne DHL shipped my turbos to Austrilia. Who knows who is to blame here.

4/27 Advised that my turbos would reroute from Australia to Wisconsin with a proposed deliver of approximately 5/2.

Last edited by viprez586; 04-27-2016 at 09:18 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 E92 335i
Default 04-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Really curious how this goes.
After seeing the final showdown on Bimmer Boost with Tony and Sticky i finally decided to go with Hexons Stage 1+ over VVT'S Stage 1 with an upgraded thrust....and now i see this.

2007 E92 335i 6MT
New Jersey
N54-Tuning 3'' Downp!pes, Vrsf 5'' Intercooler, Vrsf Charge Pipe, Tial-Q BOV, Vrsf Lower Charge Pipe, Act HDSD Clutch, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS Intakes, Custom Axle Back w/ 3" Tips
(#3)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM

Seems like the upgraded hybrid market is such a gamble.....

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#4)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 04-23-2016, 10:09 AM

I e-mail this guy Twain from Hexon or whatever his name is like three times and I never got even a response from them about some inlets question.
My conclusion I'm staying away from cheap things..
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 e90 335i
Default 04-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Sounds like a nightmare. I'm waiting for my Hexon 600rr to come in and I hope I don't have to go through the same thing as you.

2007 e90 335i
pure stgae 2 DD turbos, rb inlets, bms 4 bar map sensor
Jb4 with mhd hybrid e85 back end flash, vrsf down pipe vrsf 7" intercooler, vrsf charge pipe with tial bov and afe intake. Fuel it stage 2 pump and fuel line/ethanol content kit.
spec stage 2+ clutch with new oem dmfw
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 535i
Default 04-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Wow this sucks, sorry to hear that, i just ordered hexon rr600 with inlets couple days ago and was told they added new production line starting in April and i should get them 5-6 weeks

JB4 G5, DCI, Er CP with HKS Bov, VRSF DP's, BB Race flash
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 04-23-2016, 02:01 PM

At this point, the only reliable option is going single and PURE turbos.
(#8)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM

yep
(#9)
Old

Default 04-23-2016, 02:26 PM

I rebuilt my turbos locally for 700 bucks with billet wheels. BIG ****ING WASTE OF TIME. It took them a month and a half and the rear turbo leaks, smokes and does all the **** I don't want it to do.

I should have spent the 2700 for the cheap and unproven on3 single turbo kit. it can be had for 2700 bucks with a ceramic ball bearing ****ty turbo. ****tyor not a used 6466 off ebay would solve that.

Op don't waste your time with twins. I went through this ****.
(#10)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-23-2016, 03:41 PM

Ordered and received my hexon within 2wks.. No issues for me. Been 5k already. He has been very busy with work and being swapped with turbos. He does not only do the me platform but also does others. Quickest way to message him and get a reply is Facebook messenger

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Fbo with Cpi tuned at e55
Jsr Custom tuned
(#11)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-23-2016, 08:09 PM

OP, this is a very unfortunate situation and I am sorry to hear about it. I spoke with Wayne about the threads that popped up because they obviously affect my business as well being a dealer for Hexon. From your post and my conversation with Wayne it does sound like he is making the effort to take care of the situation and cover costs of other components affected for R&R. The metal in the pan is disconcerting. It begs the question of what is happening with everything. Oil starvation will quickly kill turbos and any metal going from turbos through the oil drains are in the pan and is filtered before going through the motor. The fact that you have simultaneous vanos issues and that the material in the pan is aluminum would lead me to believe that this may be a cam ledge issue. Obviously Wayne is fixing the turbo side of things. But if it is a cam ledge issue, it is just going to eat another turbo set and pour more aluminum through the motor. I would be inclined to investigate that prior to installing another set of turbos especially since the new stock turbos were replaced from failure prematurely.

I am not trying to misplace blame, but only connecting some dots based on the information provided and the material found in the oil. Aluminum shavings in the cylinder head will chew up valve stem seals quickly and if it's the front cam ledge a majority of the aluminum contaminated oil would be confined to those front cylinders based on the blocks drainback points.

Please let me know if you decide to be proactive and investigate it and what you find.

Chris
(#12)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcvette
OP, this is a very unfortunate situation and I am sorry to hear about it. I spoke with Wayne about the threads that popped up because they obviously affect my business as well being a dealer for Hexon. From your post and my conversation with Wayne it does sound like he is making the effort to take care of the situation and cover costs of other components affected for R&R. The metal in the pan is disconcerting. It begs the question of what is happening with everything. Oil starvation will quickly kill turbos and any metal going from turbos through the oil drains are in the pan and is filtered before going through the motor. The fact that you have simultaneous vanos issues and that the material in the pan is aluminum would lead me to believe that this may be a cam ledge issue. Obviously Wayne is fixing the turbo side of things. But if it is a cam ledge issue, it is just going to eat another turbo set and pour more aluminum through the motor. I would be inclined to investigate that prior to installing another set of turbos especially since the new stock turbos were replaced from failure prematurely.

I am not trying to misplace blame, but only connecting some dots based on the information provided and the material found in the oil. Aluminum shavings in the cylinder head will chew up valve stem seals quickly and if it's the front cam ledge a majority of the aluminum contaminated oil would be confined to those front cylinders based on the blocks drainback points.

Please let me know if you decide to be proactive and investigate it and what you find.

Chris
I see where you would be concerned with such. However.

The car was driven to my workplace running perfectly fine.
The oil was drained and inspected before installing the 1st set of Hexons. As i noted before the pan was CLEAN.
The car was idled and driven around the dealership lot, shortly thereafter issues immediately arose.
The metal in the oil is inconclusive as I have yet to send in an oil analysis. Who knows what type of metal it is, and furthermore the source without complete teardown, as it is all speculative at this point.

What is undeniable: The bearings in the turbos are shot and I have metal in the oil. The turbos are still on the car but with a visual inspection (given the amount of shaft play as well) it appears the compressor blades have done some damage to the compressor housing. Which CAN indefinitely introduce aluminum into the engine.

Given these circumstances it's clear that a cam ledge is unlikely.
All of a sudden Hexon's idling makes my cam ledge take a dive?
Tough theory I'm not sold on.

Have some additional FFT: I removed and inspected the vanos check valves and vanos solenoids, Visually I could not identify a significant amount of metal in either to merit metal being a root cause of failure of the exhaust only vanos solenoid. (Metal doesn't solely choose to take out specific components)
Additionally. If a cam ledge was a clear and root cause of turbo failure. Wouldn't BMW mention this in a very specific turbocharger failure bulletin? See attached.
Lines and ports of block were blown out with compressed air. Cleaned with solvent and brake cleaner to provide a dry and fresh passage with little if any contamination.
Remember original turbos failed due to excessive RTV build up around oil drains resulting in oil pooling in the CHRA. The only reason I decided to replace them was not for a poor running condition, but rather smoke on decel (high vacuum) followed by a quick surge of oil burn-off when accelerating (boost) following the high vac situation.

Lastly after replacing the exhaust vanos, changing the oil multiple times. The car ran great. No codes. Then misfire resulting in my findings of a bank 1 misfire in conjunction with massive turbo failure.

Let's be clear. Wayne has pushed back times way too much for me to empathize. If your not going to meet a deadline - don't tell me a definite timeline. Be realistic, that will earn my respect.
I appreciate his effort to supply me with replacements and the install kit. However, this has become a major inconvenience over a time-line that is vastly unacceptable and unprofessional in a business model.
Attached Images

Last edited by viprez586; 04-24-2016 at 08:07 AM..
(#13)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 04-24-2016, 05:49 PM

I had no problems with my install, turbos I received took about 5 weeks from time of order. no issues with smoke besides trying to run a bef that should have been ran. was dumping too much fuel into the engine. but after that no issues from mine.

07 E90 BMS DCI, ER CP, HKS BOV, MHD BEF, JB4 G5 ISO with anti lag, Alpina b3 flash, Hexon stage 1, Hexon inlets, fresh rebuild with over sized OEM pistons, thicker head gasket, E46 M3 Trans mounts, Fuel It stage 2, IS engine mounts.
(#14)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech513
I had no problems with my install, turbos I received took about 5 weeks from time of order. no issues with smoke besides trying to run a bef that should have been ran. was dumping too much fuel into the engine. but after that no issues from mine.
5 weeks? **** me
(#15)
Old

Default 04-25-2016, 07:02 AM

Now DHL messed up my shipment and my turbos are currently sitting in Australia.
(#16)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I think this is the first or second Hexon failure I've heard about so far.

Keep us posted!

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black
(#17)
Old

Car: e82 135
Default 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Yikes :/

JP Workz 6062 kit stage 3 fuel it mhd/jb4
(#18)
Old

Default 04-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Damn that sucks about the shipping. As for the people mentioning the number of failures. Terry had said that he knew of 4 failures from hexon. And this was before the rr600 and 700 stuff came out.
(#19)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 05:38 PM

Guess I'm just gonna buy a $1200 JP mani and make a single kit......

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#20)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM

As with anything, parts will fail regardless of who manufactures them.

07 E90 BMS DCI, ER CP, HKS BOV, MHD BEF, JB4 G5 ISO with anti lag, Alpina b3 flash, Hexon stage 1, Hexon inlets, fresh rebuild with over sized OEM pistons, thicker head gasket, E46 M3 Trans mounts, Fuel It stage 2, IS engine mounts.
(#21)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 07:20 PM

Man, so sorry to see your having all these issues... Please keep us posted.

(#22)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 06:13 AM

Thanks guys. Really wish I would've sold the car instead of addressing the smoke issue had I known this would be stretched out over months of time with a downed worthless vehicle.
(#23)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335xi JB4 G5 DP DCI BOV
Default 04-26-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms335i
At this point, the only reliable option is going single and PURE turbos.
which kit did you go with?
(#24)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908
which kit did you go with?
I haven't yet. I hve the stupid rebuilt turbos that still smoke on it right now. I might go with either a pure stage 1 turbo rebuild or just go single in the future. For now I will be running on the stockers till they die.
(#25)
Old

Car: 2003 M5 2008 335xi
Default 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms335i
I haven't yet. I hve the stupid rebuilt turbos that still smoke on it right now. I might go with either a pure stage 1 turbo rebuild or just go single in the future. For now I will be running on the stockers till they die.
This is exactly the point I have arrived at after looking at upgrading turbos for the last 2 years. I want the power I know the N54 can deliver but I just don't have time to deal with multiple turbo changes on the hybrids and not sure I want the lag of a single.