N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default 4bar TMAP support for the JB4 - 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Hey guys,

Due to increasing demand we've finally added 4bar support to the N54 JB4. This allows logging and control of up to 43.5psi. Perfect for those single turbo guys looking to break parts!

We've sourced a Bosch sensor that is fully plug and play and made a PNP harness adapter for a simple direct fit. Each kit includes two orings. A smaller and a larger. We found the larger fits the CPE chargepipe bung better. But other chargepipes may be tighter on the TMAP flange. So we'll just ship them with both orings. In addition we give you an extra 8x32-5/8" long screw to attach the sensor. This is the correct size for the CPE chargepipe. If your chargepipe uses a metric or different size you'll need to source your own 1/4" longer screw to accommodate the sensor.

The 4bar requires the latest JB4 firmware (v126 for single turbo, v32.1 for hybrid turbos) and the latest JB4 interface. Donnie has added support to JB4 Mobile as well in the latest build. To enable you'll set 3.5bar TMAP to 2 as opposed to 1 for the 3.5bar N20 sensor. There is a chance we'll need to modify the IAT voltage tables within the back end flash for proper intake temperature reading although bench testing has shown the sensor appears to use the same intake temp profile as the factory sensor. So we should be good there. We'll need some logs from warmer climates to fully evaluate that aspect and if any back end flash map changes are required for reading intake temperatures we'll post them.

The best news is we were able to buy the sensors in bulk to get the price down. The kit is $99 including the sensor. While it's mainly for large single turbo cars the 4bar can be used with OEM & hybrid turbos, if someone wants the convenience of buying a sensor & adapter harness in one shot. There is not much of a resolution drop between this sensor and the 3.5bar N20.

We'll continue to support both the 3.5bar and this 4bar in all JB4 versions going forward.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_JB4_upgrades.html
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Haha Nice! 40psi here we come!
(#3)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 01-21-2016, 12:36 PM

Is it sufficiently secured with just the bolt on one side holding it down? Would a bracket over the top to use both be better?

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
Is it sufficiently secured with just the bolt on one side holding it down? Would a bracket over the top to use both be better?
Even at 40 psi there isn't much force trying to push it out. The single bolt should be more than sufficient.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Yes, the sensor is designed to be held in by one bolt. Which is why there is only one hole on it.

I bench tested it up to around 40psi when doing the initial calibration and it held just fine!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Well seeing that this pricing is better than the n20 sensor.. Would it be suitable for someone running 24psi?
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Absolutely. Anyone who needs more than 20psi should have this or the 3.5bar.

Since the Bosch sensor uses a wider voltage range of 0.4v - 4.65v instead of Continental's 0.5-4.5v there is no significant resolution drawback.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM

For those of you who wish to use this with the MHD 3 cell MAP scaling, I just worked out the values. Here you go!
Attached Images

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 01-21-2016, 01:20 PM

This is the best part about Terry and BMS. They think about adding a 40 psi sensor and 2 weeks later there you have it

BMS and Terry FTW!

F21 M140i - 100-200: 5.18 60-130: 5.96
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 4.01 60-130: 4.5
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.32, 60-130: 4.8
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#10)
Old

Default 01-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkiedm4
This is the best part about Terry and BMS. They think about adding a 40 psi sensor and 2 weeks later there you have it

BMS and Terry FTW!
Flash guys add support 30min after a map sensor part # is known

(#11)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Flash guys add support 30min after a map sensor part # is known
But flash guys don't support my F series :D

peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
pureturbos.eu
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkiedm4

BMS and Terry FTW!
I literally went through 20 different sensors before we found this gem. This kit was almost $250 using a different but similar sensor.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
For those of you who wish to use this with the MHD 3 cell MAP scaling, I just worked out the values. Here you go!
Be sure to bench test your calibrations. The best way I found was to take the sensor off the CP but leave it connected to the DME, connect it to a boost source, I used an air compressor that is also connected to a high qualify 50psi gauge, and step up in increments of say 2psi from 0psi up to 40psi, making sure the software output matches the external gauge. I could not get the spec sheet for this exact sensor but in testing I found it was slightly different than other 0.4v to 0.465v sensors spec sheets I found posted online.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-21-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I literally went through 20 different sensors before we found this gem. This kit was almost $250 using a different but similar sensor.
Maybe i'll need this too in the near future Good to know its available at only 90ish

peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
pureturbos.eu
(#15)
Old

Default 01-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Be sure to bench test your calibrations. The best way I found was to take the sensor off the CP but leave it connected to the DME, connect it to a boost source, I used an air compressor that is also connected to a high qualify 50psi gauge, and step up in increments of say 2psi from 0psi up to 40psi, making sure the software output matches the external gauge. I could not get the spec sheet for this exact sensor but in testing I found it was slightly different than other 0.4v to 0.465v sensors spec sheets I found posted online.
I found the spec sheet for this exact part # in the Bosch catalog. We will grab one to test as well too though.

(#16)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Wish i needed this hahaa Great work as usual!

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#17)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Would we still need to adjust the duty bias for this sensor?
(#18)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Terry, any downsides of using this 4bar sensor vs the N20 ones? Such as lower resolution or so, or it doesn't really matter for this application.

If not, I don't see the reason to use the N20 at this point since it is more expensive and has smaller range.

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Yes when you change the sensor you need to evaluate your duty bias.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
Terry, any downsides of using this 4bar sensor vs the N20 ones? Such as lower resolution or so, or it doesn't really matter for this application.

If not, I don't see the reason to use the N20 at this point since it is more expensive and has smaller range.
No reason not to use this one instead. Both are great options though.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 01-21-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes when you change the sensor you need to evaluate your duty bias.
Any experience where to start, I know on the n20 you mentioned to set duty bias at 65? I'm guessing this doesn't apply for this 4bar map sensor? Is there a group buy or just purchase off of the site?
(#22)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default 01-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I found the spec sheet for this exact part # in the Bosch catalog. We will grab one to test as well too though.
Great work guys. Yea usually I just use the manufacturing specs. Never had an issue. Bosch is also pretty good about releasing information as such of their product. I quick email with a part number specifically asking for the cal data usually works. Within a day or two I have whats needed.

Keep it up guys. Awesome work

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen@StreetKingImports
Any experience where to start, I know on the n20 you mentioned to set duty bias at 65? I'm guessing this doesn't apply for this 4bar map sensor? Is there a group buy or just purchase off of the site?
Same values are fine. It's available via our website.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Same values are fine. It's available via our website.
Awesome thank you
(#25)
Old

Car: 335i Cp TiAg JB3 DCI
Default 01-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Great work Terry and great price!

Stock Turbo 500whp 540wtq with MMP inlets
http://mmp-e.com
  • inlets (high flow and one piece silicone)
  • high flow outlets
  • turbo development