N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default N54 Tune Only Dyno Testing - 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Hey guys,

Dragged our tune only N54 development car out for a little dyno testing today.

The test car is a 2008 135i automatic, 92k miles on the clock, 100% bone stock except for a JB4+flash, DCI, and Fuel-It Stage1. Testing was done on 40% E85.

Firmware used was 28.82 for the JB4, and the flash file is JB4_MHD_I8A0S_E85, which we expect to post later today with the rest of our MHD development files. Note, power will be the same with the BB flash files.

The main purpose was to test out the new back end flash JB4 maps. If you've been following along you know that if equipped with a back end flash map will select 4/2 on the JB4, which alters its map set. Currently the new map 1 targets 15psi, map 2 targets 17psi, and map 7 targets 19psi. These are peak values and taper towards redline. Map 4 targets 8psi across the board for a "stock like" low boost map.

Overall I was happy with each maps performance and did minimal actual tuning on the dyno. This chart gives a nice spread of what to expect with the new maps when running our back end flash, in a tune + intake only environment. Next up we'll procure a FBO car for some addl testing of the same maps.

Also, I did some map 5 development tuning, and will be posting about that later.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 04-08-2015, 11:15 AM

What else can you ask for? JB4/E85/back end flash FTW!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM

excited to get my car running the new flash and map7 update.
thanks for your continued support Terry

JB4G5 ISO/BMS E85 Flash, vrsf dp's, vrsf 7" fmic, vrsf cp with tial, 255 walbro inline,e60,alpina trans flash
(#4)
Old

Car: 2010 535i
Default 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Next up we'll procure a FBO car for some addl testing of the same maps.
)
I know where you could probably find one close by.

(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi e92
Default 04-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Terry,
Based off the logs I sent you do you think my flash loaded through BB is limiting my boost with the new firmware? It seems that my map 7 targets are closer to the numbers you are hitting on map 2.

2001 Corvette Z06
Performance*BTR stage 3 cam package*XS Power LTs and off road x-pipe*Vararam intake and power duct*Dyno tuned by Strictly Performance*Nitto 555r*450whp/408wtq*Best 1/4-11.3@122
2017 Ford F150
Performance*JB4*BCB e50 custom tune*QTP Resonator Delete with e-cutout*Best 1/4-12.7@108
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

You'd have to email or use the support forum for car specific advice.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM

28.2? sick numbers on stock....

08 535Xi - jb4 iso w/mhd flash, Bms dci, AR ********* DP, er cp with forge dv, second *** delete, muffler delete, xhp trans flash, ets fmic, bms oil tstat bypass.
(#8)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Looking good, 400+ whp with stock ***, this will be cool to see how much power *** + FMIC add keeping all things constant when you move to FBO. Easy reliable 450whp/500wtq haha we're so spoiled with N54s.

I imagine inlets will start to become a more popular upgrade, will definitely help with turbo reliability and longevity + upper range power.

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#9)
Old

Car: C.S.B.
Default 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM

I'm using my own flash, sort of bastard combination of different things I like. And using the new firmware with 4-2 and its a lot smoother than prior firmware with the same backend flash. I appreciate all the work Terry as I'm sure many others do as well!
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM

If you are doing your own flash tuning that full time load logging should come in handy too.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 04-08-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
If you are doing your own flash tuning that full time load logging should come in handy too.
It sure would, I missed the note on that one! How do I enable this? Although I've had very good luck using the stock alpina values and letting the jb4 control the boost. Fueling seems to be in check using any map and I run your old 93 backend flash timing values with alpina vanos settings. I can send you a log when it warms up but so far so good!
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 04-08-2015, 02:29 PM

wish it was pump flash results :D

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-Tom
It sure would, I missed the note on that one! How do I enable this? Although I've had very good luck using the stock alpina values and letting the jb4 control the boost. Fueling seems to be in check using any map and I run your old 93 backend flash timing values with alpina vanos settings. I can send you a log when it warms up but so far so good!
It's in the latest interface and firmware, where CPS used to be.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 04-08-2015, 02:32 PM

my fault for using my phone to log and enter info lol, ill have to check out the new interface tonight
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 04:15 PM

Hah Donnie is adding it to JB4 mobile soon.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Thank you for this thread. I have been waiting a while for this as some can only run limited mods due to warranty's. I'm curious know the current dyno record for jb4/dci/tune only. Again thanks!
(#17)
Old

Car: 2010 335i Convertible
Default 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM

This is really good stuff! I'm having DP's, JB4 G5, BMS 91Flash and Alpina TCU flash added this weekend. Now i need to get the Fuel-it!

2010 335i 6AT E93,FBO, Inlets, BMS Meth Kit single cm10 (55add N20 TMAP)
(#18)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Is it the new firmware that upped the boost map 1/2/7? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought with a flash+jb4 the jb4 controlled boost and the flash does everything else.

2008 Aw/Coral Red Manual 135i Coupe-
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchxvx
Is it the new firmware that upped the boost map 1/2/7? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought with a flash+jb4 the jb4 controlled boost and the flash does everything else.
Using 28.82 and the latest E85 back end flash map. The JB4 continues to adjust fuel when boost exceeds the flash target. It also controls throttle and some other parameters. But basically the AFR, timing, and VANOS targets are set in the flash file.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Ok I see now. I also just went back to the other thread about 4/2 4/3 and saw that when you enable 4/2 the jb4 ups the boost to work with the backend flash, it all makes sense now.

2008 Aw/Coral Red Manual 135i Coupe-
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines
(#21)
Old

Car: 2009 335i e92
Default 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM

i just have 2 simple stupid questions..

1. Were the back-end flashes just updated to accommodate this new firmware? or are they still the same (i updated my backend flash about a month or two ago)

2. So would you set 4/2 with the new firmware for ANY backend flash (pump, race, e85), or is this ONLY for the e85 flash?

thanks

2009 335i e92 n54 | FBO | JB4 | e85 flash |
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2015, 11:15 AM

You can use new or older back end flash maps with the new JB4 firmware and mode 4/2. The option should be set for ANY back end flash map.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 2010 335i Convertible
Default 04-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You can use new or older back end flash maps with the new JB4 firmware and mode 4/2. The option should be set for ANY back end flash map.
When can we see the Map 5 testing you mentioned earlier? This is really exciting stuff, i have Two e85 pumps near my house.

2010 335i 6AT E93,FBO, Inlets, BMS Meth Kit single cm10 (55add N20 TMAP)
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2015, 11:26 AM

I haven't had time to go through that data yet. It's been pretty crazy around here with all the routine Spring business and development work. In the near future though!

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Car: 07 335i coupe
Default 04-09-2015, 02:02 PM

is this a stand alone flash that can be put on with jb4 completely out of the car?Just load it up with MHD module or BB flash? It maybe something I'm interested in testing out on a car that has terrible WG rattle with any piggyback flash but is fine with a flash.