N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135
Default Metal slivers in oil filter, but Blackstone analysis OK - 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Oil change about 6K mi ago. I happened to cut open the oil filter and found some small slivers of non-metallic silver metal in the pleats. About a dozen, maybe more, very thin, 1-2mm long. I'm concerned. Didn't cut open filter until after used oil was combined with lots of other old oil.

Ran for 2000 miles on new oil/filter, took sample to send to Blackstone, cut open filter and again found the same type of metal slivers. About half as many, but the interval was about half as long so seems like the metal is appearing at about the same rate. Blackstone analysis came back indicating no excessive wear from what they can see (report attached).

Looking for ideas on where this metal is coming from or how to figure it out. I was really expecting the Blackstone report to indicate bearing wear, fuel contamination, something... Turbo seals are probably not in very good shape as I do get some decent smoke from time to time. Maybe the metal is from the turbos? Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW-022415.pdf (20.2 KB, 391 views)

2009 135i 6MT Jet Black, FBO+
(#2)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 03-06-2015, 04:16 PM

my vote: worn cam ledges

Daily: G30 M550i JB4
Winter Beast: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Supercharger, brakes, suspension & exhaust mods
Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
Gone: E92 N54 468wtq
(#3)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 03-06-2015, 06:33 PM

Man I was meaning to ask you if you got the report. I'm not sure if the negative report is good or bad...
(#4)
Old

Default 03-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I dunno what to do at this point other than keep a close eye on it.

Checkered's guess about cam bearing ledges is a good one. I found some pics of worn ledges and the little slivers of metal I'm seeing look like they could have come from there. Seems weird that aluminum levels in the Blackstone analysis wouldn't also be pretty high though...

I'm just about ready to get some upgraded twins and I'd hate to do that and then immediately have a serious engine problem... Hard to justify opening it up to inspect the cam bearing ledges without more evidence to point to that. I don't have those vanos codes that people typically get when the ledges are toast.

Anybody else have any ideas?

(#5)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider
Hard to justify opening it up to inspect the cam bearing ledges without more evidence to point to that. I don't have those vanos codes that people typically get when the ledges are toast.
I agree, without Vanos codes its hard to pin point...

do you have a picture of the metal shavings?

they can be from the turbo bearings, I would say before going to RB have 2K as a rainy day fund incase the cam ledges are worm

Daily: G30 M550i JB4
Winter Beast: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Supercharger, brakes, suspension & exhaust mods
Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
Gone: E92 N54 468wtq
(#6)
Old

Default 03-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Here's a pic... My phone camera won't focus if it's too close so tough to get good pics...

I relocated a few slivers into the same pleat of the filter for this pic. Most of what you see if you hold the filter stretched out in sunlight are tiny specs and super thin slivers like the slivers on the left in this pic. The piece in the middle in this pic is definitely the biggest from either this last oil change or the previous one.
Attached Images