N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 607AWHP/618AWTQ: TFT Inlets + RB Turbos + BQ/Wedge Tuning - 01-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Hi everyone,

The last 24 hours has been crazy, but the results speak for themself. Yes, you read correctly, my car just made 607awhp/618AWTQ.

Background:
Over the last year or so, I have been fortunate enough to dedicate some much needed wrench time to my e92 n54 AT 335XI. Back in Nov, I was finally able to get my car to the track, and cut the XI record, running an 11.363 1/4 mile. My mods at the time were: FBO, e40 fuel, RB Turbos and some outstanding flash tuning my BQ and WedgePerformance. At the time, Rob@RB, BQ/wedge, and myself were thrilled with the results, but in all honesty I wanted to hit 10s.

Since November, I was searching for more ways to get more EFFICIENT power. I happened to stumble across a post in a 335 facebook group, someone had posted a dyno graph showing standard RB turbos making over 600whp, what made it even more astounding was the power was all the way to redline. After doing some research, and poking around some other boards, I found a few threads talking about the results. Honestly, I was shocked with the comments from board members and a few vendors. I saw words and phrases that essentially were calling the dyno and owner a fraud, fake, "we tried that already it didn't net much" and standard RBs can't make that power. Nevertheless, I was still curious, so I found Brian May's # and left him a voicemail. He gave me a call back about a day later, most of the stuff he was going over, honestly was way too advanced for me to fully understand, but after we spoke, I did some math on my own and it made sense. I had stayed in contact with Brian over the next few months, and we finally nailed down a shipping date to get me the 1st set of inlets.

In anticipation for the new inlets, I figured my RB turbos, although nothing wrong with them, could use a "refresh." I was hearing exceptional feedback on Robs VSR balancing, and after speaking with a few board members who were using some of his billet wheel options, I contacted Rob about giving my RBs a refresh. I let Rob know I was planning on running Brian's inlets, and was very anxious to see what a fresh, updated (15T billet wheel, Vsr balanced, clipped, thrust upgrsded) RB could do.

Fast forward to last weekend-
Both Brian, and Rob delivered ahead of schedule and I was able to get the entire new setup installed in about 20 hours over the weekend, and the rest is pretty much history. Every aspect of Brian's kit fit perfectly, and went in without a hitch, and the turbos that Rob sent were equally beautiful in their own right. I ran the car around town a bit using the same map from BQ/Wedge at the track, and right away I noticed 2 things- the sound coming from the engine bay was intoxicating and the car pulled like an absolute freight train. Extremely anxious to see exactly how much more power we were making, I hit the dyno last night, and well the results are CRAZY.

The Green Run- RB turbos, stock inlets (map I ran at track to cut 11.363), e60 fuel
The Blue Run- New RB turbos, TFT inlets, SAME MAP as Green run LOL, e60 fuel
The Red Run- New RB turbos, TFT inlets, Prelimiary revision by BQ/Wedge, about e60 fuel

Sorry guys for the novel, but I wanted to give everyone as much of the story as I could. I want to give a huge thank you to Brian May@Trueform Technologies, Rob@RB Turbo and last and certainly not least Ken and D@ BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance for throwing that preliminary map together for me last night.

I will say there is PLENTY of room left in my setup, I don't even think we exceeded 50% wgdc to hit 607 AWHP, and I've got my eyes set on a 10 second 1/4 pass in the near future.

Thanks again team
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Last edited by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!; 01-24-2015 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Adding info
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Default 01-24-2015, 04:36 PM

good job!

"I am the Master of my fate, I am the Captain of my soul" ~ William Henley
(#3)
Old

Default 01-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Wow great Job- Looks like I need to send my RBs to get redone and get your tune. Im sure it pulls like a freight train! Do you think the intakes helped or mainly the turbos being refreshed/updated?

07 E92 MT RB Turbos-600whp
08 E82 Built engine/trans Speedtech ST 6466
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennejp
Wow great Job- Looks like I need to send my RBs to get redone and get your tune. Im sure it pulls like a freight train! Do you think the intakes helped or mainly the turbos being refreshed/updated?
To put it simply I think it's just the perfect combo of parts working in harmony.

I'll post some pics of what the stock inlets look like shortly, so you guys can see how pancaked the plumbing is. Theres no doubt that the VSR balancing, and updated billet RB helps, but the most drastic change to my car has to be the turbo inlet setup.

2 superior products working together, to show what they are really capable of

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

We need this for the e60 as well if Brian could work that out with a local donor car. Shouldn't be that much different.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 01-24-2015, 05:52 PM

Amazing results, great low end and awesome top end. Overall beautiful curve. Definitely a perfect match of parts going on here!! Much congrats!

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM

Awesome stuff, Dynojet numbers. Sick.
(#8)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Outstanding results and I love how you dynoed the same flash with just the upgrades so we could have a pretty good comparison of how much impact the inlets have on performance. Great work to all of you and I hope you finally hit the tens! Definitely have the power to get there now! !

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#9)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM

How's your AT handling the power?
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM

Results on those inlets look good! I'd get a boost gauge on there ASAP if doing duty cycle tuning. Even a mechanical one would fit the bill.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the kind words Terry!

Looking into a gauge as we speak, any one you prefer over others?

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM

If you just need something down and dirty grab a $20 one from pep boys and run the vacuum line under the steering column to the glove box. Then pull it out and tape it to the dash when you need to use it.

But for a nicer solution checkout the P3 gauge. Top notch.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 01-24-2015, 11:27 PM

Auto or manual trans? Wonder what a rwd set up would of made! Good numbers where can we order these inlets!

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#14)
Old

Car: '07 335i e92
Default 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM

I think it's a general misconception as I have heard Duty Cycling Tuning on more than one occasion. We don't extend the adders out beyond that wgdc table which is scaled to 333 maf. After 333 maf, we are 100% PID and we can control boost very well as you can see from our WGDC. This alone is what makes us stand out above the reset as it's smooth and consistent.

First Log with boost limited to 21.7 psi and tapering off.

Final Log with WGDC not exceeding 50%

As you can see, we don't have an issue with run away boost. The DME is not boost targeting, it's load target. Boost in this case, doesn't matter because we can see what the WGDC is doing. Do we want to see boost, yes... Unfortunately the boost gauge on the dyno wasn't working.
(#15)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 01-25-2015, 05:42 AM

Very interested in what those inlets or VTT ones can do on stockers...

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#16)
Old

Car: 2010 535xi
Default 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Looks amazing, can't wait to see if there is the possibility of a 535 application.
(#17)
Old

Car: E92 DCT ///M
Default 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM

WTF..not gonna lie, im impressed and kinda pissed.. a lot of us talked about inlet ***** back in the day.. If only we tried in 2010...

Nicely done man

Good work as well Rob
(#18)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335xi
Default 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM

Looks like I will be holding off on my hybrid install

08 E90 335Xi 6MT|JB4 G5 ISO|BMS DCI |VRSF ********* DP's|walboro 255|E-60|Turbobacked|BMS backend flash|Big Tom FMIC|KW V1| Tial-Stett CP|BMS CM10 meth|Hexon Turbos|VTT Inlets| -SOLD

95 E36 318 - soon to be swapped
91 e30 318 vert

Last edited by lane7873; 01-25-2015 at 11:31 PM..
(#19)
Old

Car: '07 335i e92
Default 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine
WTF..not gonna lie, im impressed and kinda pissed.. a lot of us talked about inlet ***** back in the day.. If only we tried in 2010...

Nicely done man

Good work as well Rob
I was blown away by how little WGDC we needed to achieve the numbers. Should be interesting once we have the fueling to really push them.
(#20)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335xi
Default 01-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Awesome post and results. Brian is local around here and is a tuning genius. You should have him tune you too!
(#21)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Holy crap! Any gains to be had for us folks with stock turbos anyone think? Or just for those pushing higher output with RBs etc.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#22)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM

How much $ are these going to run?

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#23)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335xi
Default 01-25-2015, 02:58 PM

I would have to believe they help stockers too. Look up true form technologies
(#24)
Old

Car: 535xi
Default 01-25-2015, 05:12 PM

I think they would have to benefit any turbo... at least allowing it to breathe easier up top

And IIRC, this setup was gonna run right about $1500

2010 535xi
ALL black, murdered out FBO jb4+flash
Fuel It! stage 2 LPFP on the way

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#25)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM

OP, you going to answer anyone's questions about your stock AT? It'd be nice to know how it's holding up so far.