N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135I
Default Cobb Vs. JB4 Unbiased - 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM

I am looking for an unbiased comparison between the cobb and jb4. I am not going to be tracking my car or doing any autocross. I am looking for a consistent flash/tune and something where I can get good gains from. I have read information about both but I seem to be getting biased answers. I am in the market for one of these just not sure which route to go with. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also don't mean to stir up anything by asking this question
(#2)
Old
Super Demigod

Car: 335i
Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM

They'll both do their job well.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Some guy made a fairly unbiased review on e90post. Might be a good place to start: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659748

Generally the JB4 is less expensive, has more features, and more flexibility, but takes a little longer to install. Performance between them is very similar when you match up maps.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM

What are the pros and cons? Also, can the jb4 do all the data and logging features that the Cobb can?
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM

JB4 does more in some areas (in dash controls, on the fly switching, gauges in dash), Cobb does more in other areas (advance cyl 2-6, ipw 2-6, etc), but either one will get the job done just fine.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 05:02 PM

I'm not too keen with what advance cyl 2-6 or ipw is if you care to explain
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-04-2012, 05:07 PM

If you don't know already it probably doesn't effect or matter to you.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Decisions..i'm still not sure. My brother has the 335i with cobb. He likes his setup. I've never tried a jb4 n54 yet so I have nothing to compare it to. He is only using stage 1 aggressive with an aggressive throttle
(#9)
Old
Higher than you

Car: N54
Default 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I can't speak to the COBB products on the N54, but I ran their AccessPORT product on a 2.0L WRX and a 2010 STi. Both were stage one setups, run for 20-30k miles on the cars using off the shelf maps. Never had an issue with either car. The tunes are generally safe, and in the case of the STi, the COBB tune was safer than the overly lean OEM tune that was done to comply with increased CAFE regs.

Having said that, I'm leaning strongly towards the JB4 if/when I get bored with the tune on my is. Factors in my decision:

* cost - JB4 and DCI is significantly less than an AP alone
* safety - lots of cars with 10's of thousands of miles with no issues
* features - switching maps on the fly is cool; I never used most of the stuff on the Subaru AP
* support - Terry is on the boards all the time answering posts. I posted a question on the COBB forums several months ago that never was answered
* E85 - COBB hints at support, but Terry is actually coding support in now. Many JB4 users are running blends safely on current maps and getting great results.

Anyway, there's my unbiased reasoning - I don't own either product (yet)...
(#10)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the review of your experience. What do you mean by blends? Blending the jb4 along with what? Sorry for all the questions. If I am going to be spending a decent amount of money I want to make sure whats the best
(#11)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM

First off, I am new here. Just grabbed an 08 335i with sport and premium package, under 40k miles in Titanium Silver. But here is my opinion:

I work in the automotive performance industry. I have access to pretty much anything at dealer cost and sometimes lower. I have come from a Subaru background where COBB Accessports are pretty much the standard.

Their product is excellent, their customer service is good and it truly the easiest product to install.

With that said, my research, experience with other customers and knowing how excellent the customer service is at BMS, I purchased the JB4. Install will occur this weekend. I have been in several n54 cars, some with cobb and some with JB4. I like the flexibility, control ability and useability of the JB4. It is more bang for your buck.

As others have said, the JB4 is not the easiest to install. It requires some tools, some mechanical ability and some willingness to take your car apart.

Performance wise, it is a wash. Both perform exceptionally well. You will not go wrong with either product.

Last edited by cskelly; 05-04-2012 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Added some clarity
(#12)
Old
Higher than you

Car: N54
Default 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Sorry, blend = E85 mixed with regular unleaded gas. Depending on the ratio used, you end up with something between 94 and 97 octane fuel (if blending with 91 gas), which makes the N54 very happy indeed.
(#13)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM

N54 with a tune and higher octanes = bliss.
Add arctic weather and you need 5 point seatbelt and a helmet.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#14)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM

I've ran both Cobb and JB4. I have posted dynos for both. On Cobb stage 2 + aggressive, FBO I put down 377/414. I just dynod JB4 15ohm with meth and FBO at 407/455. You can't argue with results. I love the features of the JB4 they are unreal. I liked the Cobb but LOVE the JB4.

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#15)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 05-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Did you run meth with the Cobb? Same dyno, similar weather, same fuel mix? Just for sake of apples to apples. That's a big gap otherwise.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#16)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98
I've ran both Cobb and JB4. I have posted dynos for both. On Cobb stage 2 + aggressive, FBO I put down 377/414. I just dynod JB4 15ohm with meth and FBO at 407/455. You can't argue with results. I love the features of the JB4 they are unreal. I liked the Cobb but LOVE the JB4.
I won't be running meth, jut not something I see myself doing at least no in the near future. With that said, would you still go with the JB4?
(#17)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Also, doesn't the JB4 come as an 18ohm set up and not 15? Whats the downsides to changing it to 15?
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis27
Also, doesn't the JB4 come as an 18ohm set up and not 15? Whats the downsides to changing it to 15?
Also not relevant to you. That's for meth guys. This really isn't that complicated. Pretty much sumed it up here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
Generally the JB4 is less expensive, has more features, and more flexibility, but takes a little longer to install. Performance between them is very similar when you match up maps.
For a listing of JB4 features checkout the wheel control guide in this post: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=1

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old
Super Demigod

Default 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM

It is impossible to be completely unbiased anywhere. Bimmerboost you will get chastised for favoring Procede. This is a pro-JB4 forum. E90 you will get chastised for running a JB4. You simply will not get an unbiased answer.

I have run Cobb and still have it, and currently run a JB4. On pump gas only I would go Cobb. For meth and getting maximum power on stock turbos, I would go JB4 without a question. That's just my opinion however.

the 15ohm will allow for more duty cycle which lets you run 18-19 psi peak on the stock turbos. The 18ohm is capped out at 17 psi. If you have no intention of running meth injection or getting upgraded turbos, this does not affect you.

I would say utilize the trial period on both of the tunes that interest you. Keep the one you like better.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#20)
Old

Default 05-05-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst
It is impossible to be completely unbiased anywhere. Bimmerboost you will get chastised for favoring Procede. This is a pro-JB4 forum. E90 you will get chastised for running a JB4. You simply will not get an unbiased answer.

I have run Cobb and still have it, and currently run a JB4. On pump gas only I would go Cobb. For meth and getting maximum power on stock turbos, I would go JB4 without a question. That's just my opinion however.

the 15ohm will allow for more duty cycle which lets you run 18-19 psi peak on the stock turbos. The 18ohm is capped out at 17 psi. If you have no intention of running meth injection or getting upgraded turbos, this does not affect you.

I would say utilize the trial period on both of the tunes that interest you. Keep the one you like better.
I won't be running meth. Is JB4 still the route to go? I don't have warranty either so I'm not worried about installing/uninstalling. If worst case anything happens, I have hook ups with programmers and mechanics that work only on german cars.
(#21)
Old

Default 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh
* support - Terry is on the boards all the time answering posts.
I usually avoid these "which tune" posts, but this point is under-emphasized. I decided on the JB based on the tone of posts by various vendors. Terry seemed like a good guy and has proven to be highly supportive. Same idea with Dave from Coolingmist, btw.

Basic user, new to all of this = you are going to have questions and will need support.

Advanced user, spraying meth, pushing more power = you will want someone to read your logs and comment, and respond to the community to help support E85 use, etc.
(#22)
Old
Super Demigod

Default 05-05-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I won't be running meth. Is JB4 still the route to go? I don't have warranty either so I'm not worried about installing/uninstalling. If worst case anything happens, I have hook ups with programmers and mechanics that work only on german cars.
They're both good in their own respect. Like I said, take advantage of the return period both tunes offer and make your choice.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#23)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Both tunes have very good customer service. Honestly I went Cobb first because of my warranty and I was a noob that didn't want to have to get into the ECU everytime I needed warranty work. Cobb is very strong on pump gas. Pretty identical to JB4 map 2. With that being said, I wanted to run meth and didn't want to wait for the Cobb race maps that still aren't out. The JB4 isn't all that hard to install/uninstall anymore. I can do it in around 20 min now. If you're not in warranty I would prob go JB4, but that's totally up to you. Cobb race maps will be out soon, maybe, and then both will allow you to run meth.

Just my .02

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#24)
Old

Default 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98
Both tunes have very good customer service. Honestly I went Cobb first because of my warranty and I was a noob that didn't want to have to get into the ECU everytime I needed warranty work. Cobb is very strong on pump gas. Pretty identical to JB4 map 2. With that being said, I wanted to run meth and didn't want to wait for the Cobb race maps that still aren't out. The JB4 isn't all that hard to install/uninstall anymore. I can do it in around 20 min now. If you're not in warranty I would prob go JB4, but that's totally up to you. Cobb race maps will be out soon, maybe, and then both will allow you to run meth.

Just my .02
I think I'll end up running the JB4. It gets very nice power gains and meth is always an option even though at this current stage I won't be running it. If the JB4 will be installed, will I have to replace my coils and/or anything else because of it?
(#25)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Some guy made a fairly unbiased review on e90post. Might be a good place to start: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659748

Hey that was me!

Quote:
I think I'll end up running the JB4. It gets very nice power gains and meth is always an option even though at this current stage I won't be running it. If the JB4 will be installed, will I have to replace my coils and/or anything else because of it?
You really can't go wrong with either one, but like I said in my review, I've had both and chose the JB4 in the end. After driving it more and tweaking some adjustments, I find it to be smoother then the Cobb was, and it is definitely just as powerful even without the meth. It just has more useful options, most of which are accessible via the in-dash controls, switching maps on the fly, ability to add meth and or nitrous and so on. And trust me, once you add a tune to your car, the bug will bite you and you'll want more! And with the JB4, there's no need to wait for more maps to become available... Not to mention Terry is always on top of things and willing to help out in a moments notice.

As for needing to replace things like spark plugs, coils or injectors.. that all depends on your car, and depending on how many miles are on your car, more then likely you'll eventually need to replace some things... But that's going to happen no matter what tune you run

2009 BMW Z4 35i 6spd mt: Speedtech single turbo w/ all the goods!