N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2077 BMW 335i
Default 30 psi in map 2, need ideas - 10-26-2020, 03:13 PM

Hello,

I recently installed VTT Stage 2+ turbos which completes my mods list as follows:
-VTT 2+ hybrid turbos
-VTT 2" silicone inlets
-VTT aluminum outlets
-VRSF ******* ***
-VRSF 7.5" stepped intercooler
-3.5 bar map sensor
-BMS OCC
-BMS DCI
-VRSF charge pipe with HKS BOV
-2 step colder plugs
-upgraded PCV
-JB4 tuner
-custom MHD back end flash (93 pump)

I am just starting to tune the car with the help of Doc Phu but I'm having an issue where I'm building almost 30 psi and it seems like whatever we change on the jb4 parameters doesn't affect the boost. I have attached 2 logs. One is in map 6 targeting 19 psi and the other is in map 2. It seems to me almost like the jb4 can't react quick enough to slow the spool.

In the logs you can see WGDC drop from 100% to around 15% as boost spikes at the beginning. However, this doesn't seem to have an affect on lowering the boost, just holding it where it is. It also looks like jb4 kicks into map 4 and the boost still doesn't drop.

I have checked to make sure the wastegate actuator arms can move freely, I replaced the vacuum lines from brake booster to vacuum canisters, and inspected all others.

I am getting codes: 2C7E, 2C2B, 2DED, 2C2C, 2C7F. I think this is an issue unrelated to the boost and may be throwing off AFR readings. I have checked to make sure the O2 sensors are hooked up correctly and no wires have any visual damage. I also made sure the fuses looked good.

I can't seem to find any information online and I am at a complete loss for words right now and my tuner is as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M6_R1_201021_2024.csv (24.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_201022_1636.csv (14.5 KB, 30 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: E92 335xi manual
Default 10-27-2020, 02:11 AM

I know you said that you already inspected all your vac lines, but double check they are correct to the solenoids... just an idea

I had a similar issue over boosting and it ended up I had the lines mixed up. I misinterpreted the markings.

No idea why your trims never move either bank on the map2 log?

RB 2ís - inlets - dpís - borla mids - cp/bov- stage2LPFP -Hybrid e85_bef

Last edited by ToolMaker335xi; 10-27-2020 at 02:20 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 10-27-2020, 11:22 AM

So when I did the install I never disconnected the lines on the solenoids but I did make sure they are routed correctly and the lines are in good condition. I ordered 2 new solenoids so I'll try those out when they come in and see if that helps. If the solenoids were faulty would the log still show the WGDC adjusting like it is to decrease boost?

The fuel trims and the AFRs seem to read wrong when the O2 sensor codes pop up. If I clear them (I did in the map 6 log) they seem to read okay.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-28-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrussart9
So when I did the install I never disconnected the lines on the solenoids but I did make sure they are routed correctly and the lines are in good condition. I ordered 2 new solenoids so I'll try those out when they come in and see if that helps. If the solenoids were faulty would the log still show the WGDC adjusting like it is to decrease boost?

The fuel trims and the AFRs seem to read wrong when the O2 sensor codes pop up. If I clear them (I did in the map 6 log) they seem to read okay.
Ok, I just assumed you had the lines off or replaced while installing turbos.

Iím not an expert on these cars (or any car ) so my $.02 isnít worth much. Just trying to help out though. Hopefully some one with more knowledge can chime in soon and get you sorted out.

But it looks like the jb4 is responding as it should by dropping WGDC at the over boost and dropping to 14 when the safety triggers( at least compared to my car) The only way I could see faulty solenoids causing this it if they were sticking really bad. I think the majority of the time when solenoids start to fail, youíd be looking at an under boost condition.

One thing that catches my eye is your duty bias set to 38 almost across the board. I believe 1-50 is scaled the same as 50-100. So I would set these back to defaults for hybrid settings.( starting at 50 )And set menu 12 to the 2200-2800 range.

Only other possible causes that I can think of is wastegates arenít adjusted properly or the actuator is sticking?

If you look at page 2 you can see my post when I had an overboost problem. ďLog Review, major over boostĒ my WGDC would flat line at 30 on the map 7 log and 22 on the map 1 because where I had menu 12 Iím assuming.

In short, Iíd set Evrything to default as described on the hybrid setup page as well as menu 10/11/12 setting and log map 1 and hopefully get some expert advice.

Good luck man, hope you get it resolved sooner than later

(#5)
Old

Default 10-28-2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker335xi
Ok, I just assumed you had the lines off or replaced while installing turbos.

Iím not an expert on these cars (or any car ) so my $.02 isnít worth much. Just trying to help out though. Hopefully some one with more knowledge can chime in soon and get you sorted out.

But it looks like the jb4 is responding as it should by dropping WGDC at the over boost and dropping to 14 when the safety triggers( at least compared to my car) The only way I could see faulty solenoids causing this it if they were sticking really bad. I think the majority of the time when solenoids start to fail, youíd be looking at an under boost condition.

One thing that catches my eye is your duty bias set to 38 almost across the board. I believe 1-50 is scaled the same as 50-100. So I would set these back to defaults for hybrid settings.( starting at 50 )And set menu 12 to the 2200-2800 range.

Only other possible causes that I can think of is wastegates arenít adjusted properly or the actuator is sticking?

If you look at page 2 you can see my post when I had an overboost problem. ďLog Review, major over boostĒ my WGDC would flat line at 30 on the map 7 log and 22 on the map 1 because where I had menu 12 Iím assuming.

In short, Iíd set Evrything to default as described on the hybrid setup page as well as menu 10/11/12 setting and log map 1 and hopefully get some expert advice.

Good luck man, hope you get it resolved sooner than later
As for the actuators, I checked those and I can move them back and forth by hand and they seem smooth and I can feel them open and close. When they were delivered they had paint markings on the rods and nuts showing they were adjusted in place. I never moved them but I still checked and it looks like the markings still line up.

I will try the changes you mentioned with the jb4. Is the menu 12 option the rpm it starts building boost at? I think I read about that somewhere.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely not an expert either and am willing to try anything to figure this out.
(#6)
Old

Default 10-28-2020, 08:37 PM

Menu 12 on the steering wheel controls is the minimum output to WGDC.

1400 is a bit low, I’m surprised you don’t notice oscillation at low rpms.

I’d be looking for a hardware problem though, but setting everything to default isn’t a bad idea until you get it figured out.

Last edited by ToolMaker335xi; 10-28-2020 at 08:46 PM..