N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default Charge Pipe = -3psi of boost? (mostly stock 535xi) - 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Just looking for some info, comments, pick your brain. Would a walnut blast and new charge pipe reduce boost pressure? Generally speaking.

The long story: This weekend I had a respectable shop flush and fill all fluids. No issues I could tell driving after that. Next day I did a walnut blast, installed an eBay charge pipe (stock diverter valve style), and a mishimoto oil catch can (ECS Tuning). Again no issues to note.

After the blast I replaced intake mani gaskets and throttle body gasket. But charge pipe o-ring was reused. This is the only “issue” that I ran into. Other than that it was almost a perfect weekend working on the car. Imagine that :-)

The new charge pipe o-ring was so tight inside the new charge pipe onto the throttle body, I could not push it on far enough to install the throttle body retaining clip, damaging it... hence why I reused the old one. Even the old o-ring was fairly tight and felt like it sealed with a snap, or “popped on” rather. So maybe that’s the first place to look. The diameter of the seal ring groove may be out of spec, on the new charge pipe.

Before this weekend the car was boosting about 14-15psi max JB4 Map1. 10-11psi with JB4 Map0.

Now 11psi max JB4 Map1. 7-8psi with JB4 Map0. No codes. Car runs very smooth. No surging boost, or dropping out. Butt-Dyno can’t really notice a loss of power. All behavior appears normal, just reads lower than it used to. I’ll have to get some logs.

Background: 96k miles, 2008 535xi N54, Burger DCI, JB4 (Map 1), MHD BEF, xHP Stage 3, eBay BOV. Within the last 1.5 years: plugs, coil packs, boost solenoids, vacuum lines, dci filters, vanos solenoids, check valves, injectors, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket, oil filter housing gasket, Burger PCV. Maybe more that I can’t remember?

Question 2 - how much play should be in the charge pipe to throttle body? Also how much play in the charge piping from the intercooler to charge pipe? (Both areas will allow a small amount of movement)
N54 eBay charge pipe (535xi) - YouTube

Last edited by nextNME; 03-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Comments
(#2)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 03-05-2019, 04:18 AM

I'll give it a go...1)No. 2) Play seems excessive, especially at the throttle body. You likely have a leak given all the work you've done recently. I don't see in the video if you reused factory diverter valves, that can be another leak source with the new charge pipe. A few good logs should be able to confirm a boost leak if you want to post them in the support section. In a pinch some will use the o-ring from the oil filter kit, it is very close to the right size and often people can get it to work. Search here and other forums about the o-ring as you are not the only one who had difficulty there.

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#3)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 03-05-2019, 04:44 AM

FWIW my Evolution Raceworks charge pipe on my 535 has the same amount of play. I installed a new OEM O-ring with it too.

If your intake valves were SUPER dirty I could see a walnut blast lowering "boost" but that's not usually the case on a car with a closed loop electronic boost controller.

Either perform a mechanical boost leak test or check to see if your boost solenoid duty cycles are maxed out.
(#4)
Old

Default 2008 535xi N54 - data log review - 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM

First time logging after maintenance. Let me know if you think there's a boost leak? Or any improvements that I can make.

Thanks!

Related thread:
Charge Pipe = -3psi of boost? (mostly stock 535xi) - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190305_1239.csv (18.3 KB, 75 views)
(#5)
Old

Default 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Last night I double checked the nuts and bolts. Took the charge pipe off, inspected it, then put it back on. Everything looks okay. This morning I reset adaptations via MHD. Now boosting 14psi max again.

I also started a log review thread:
2008 535xi N54 - data log review - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Looks like boost is 1 to 2psi below target

Last edited by nextNME; 03-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: target boost
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Seems like a leak. Boost is below target and FF is maxed out...
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM

No reason for 2 threads.

Post the most up to date log- looks like you are back on target?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
No reason for 2 threads.

Post the most up to date log- looks like you are back on target?
Thank you for cleaning things up.

Back on target? Sort of... The log file was today (03-05-2019), which was after I felt the car was "back to normal"... so we're looking at 1psi to 1.5psi (sometimes 2psi) below target as "being normal" for what I can see and feel. I do not have any logs prior to the charge pipe installation, recent maintenance, etc.

New charge pipe o-ring to be delivered Saturday.

I should also note that before the JB4 I was experiencing "wastegate rattle"... these are the stock twins.

Last edited by nextNME; 03-05-2019 at 01:59 PM..
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextNME
Thank you for cleaning things up.

Back on target? Sort of... The log file was today (03-05-2019), which was after I felt the car was "back to normal"... so we're looking at 1psi to 1.5psi (sometimes 2psi) below target as "being normal" for what I can see and feel. I do not have any logs prior to the charge pipe installation, recent maintenance, etc.

New charge pipe o-ring to be delivered Saturday.

I should also note that before the JB4 I was experiencing "wastegate rattle"... these are the stock twins.
Ok- lets get the new o-ring in. A bit of play back & forth on the CP is normal too btw.

Re-log & will take a look

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 10:01 AM

New chargepipe o-ring installed. Much better fit. Same log behavior though.

Also how much play should be in the intercooler-to-charge pipe, pipe?

Intercooler to Charge Pipe movement - YouTube
Attached Images

(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
New chargepipe o-ring installed. Much better fit. Same log behavior though.

Also how much play should be in the intercooler-to-charge pipe, pipe?

Intercooler to Charge Pipe movement - YouTube
Can u post the CSV too, not just the screen shot

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 12:50 PM

No problem.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190311_1237.csv (10.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: csv 190311_1244.csv (11.6 KB, 66 views)
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-11-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
No problem.
Yeah FF is still maxed & your still way under target.

There’s got to be a big leak somewhere...

I watched the YouTube clip - id double check the coupler / clamp from the up pipe to the fmic

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 04-06-2019, 09:42 AM

No new logs, but finally can post an update.... boost leak from the oil filler cap, on top of the valve cover. Is that even an area of concern? It was basically gushing air.

I got the boost leak tester parts and put 10psi into the engine/intake... first heard a “pop” the very first time the engine was pressurized.... not sure where that came from. Only spot I could hear or see leaking was the oil filler cap. It would not even hold 10psi unless I used my body weight to push it sealed. I squirted soapy water in most places and didn’t notice anything else. New charge pipe was not leaking at all.

Prior to this boost leak test the new seals include new charge pipe o-ring. New intercooler o-rings (both sides).

I have not driven the car since this boost leak test.

Another thing to note is that the mishimoto oil catch can was bone dry.... after about one month of use. I could hear and feel the pressurized air flowing thru the PCV and flapper valve, before it went into the hose going to the catch can. Not sure what I should be expecting there...
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
No new logs, but finally can post an update.... boost leak from the oil filler cap, on top of the valve cover. Is that even an area of concern? It was basically gushing air.

I got the boost leak tester parts and put 10psi into the engine/intake... first heard a ďpopĒ the very first time the engine was pressurized.... not sure where that came from. Only spot I could hear or see leaking was the oil filler cap. It would not even hold 10psi unless I used my body weight to push it sealed. I squirted soapy water in most places and didnít notice anything else. New charge pipe was not leaking at all.

Prior to this boost leak test the new seals include new charge pipe o-ring. New intercooler o-rings (both sides).

I have not driven the car since this boost leak test.

Another thing to note is that the mishimoto oil catch can was bone dry.... after about one month of use. I could hear and feel the pressurized air flowing thru the PCV and flapper valve, before it went into the hose going to the catch can. Not sure what I should be expecting there...
If you havenít driven the car much, itís okay on the catch can - mine doesnít collect a ton either.

Anxious to see some logs now that youíve found the leak.

Burger Motorsports