N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '08 E61 6SPD
Default Found these in spark plug guides. WHAT ARE THEY? - 03-17-2019, 08:27 AM

I was doing a valve cover gasket and RB external PCV kit and when I went to pull spark plug guides. I noticed these two little suckers at the bottom of the guide (cylinder 1 and 2 only) wedged between the plug and head casting. I only found the two. Anyone have any idea what they could be? Nervous about starting up the engine now.
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Almost looks like the lower fuel injector aligning tabs? Check the injector for proper installation.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM

After further inspection, that's what they are. Turns out, injector 1 and 2 tabs are broken off but the other injectors tabs are present. Must have been a new tech installing them when the vehicle went in for warranty with PO.
(#4)
Old

Car: e92 n54 pre lci
Default 03-18-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_E61
After further inspection, that's what they are. Turns out, injector 1 and 2 tabs are broken off but the other injectors tabs are present. Must have been a new tech installing them when the vehicle went in for warranty with PO.
So in order to brake those tabs, that tech must have torqued that injector plate well past 10 ft lbs. Those two injectors now might not being sitting flush which can cause problems. I'd get it looked out.

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM

do the injectors have the decoupling rings installed?

I had the same issue and assumed(since mine were missing) they were vibrating to the point they broke the tabs (4 out of 6 on mine had failed)
(#6)
Old

Car: e92 n54 pre lci
Default 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theobjectivist
do the injectors have the decoupling rings installed?

I had the same issue and assumed(since mine were missing) they were vibrating to the point they broke the tabs (4 out of 6 on mine had failed)
No, you have to install new ones. Take a look in your engine bay and see if they are there. If not, get new ones installed asap.

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeezul
No, you have to install new ones. Take a look in your engine bay and see if they are there. If not, get new ones installed asap.
Yeah, I installed new ones. I was just wondering if the missing parts could cause the tabs to break off VS having the tech over tighten the bolts.
I never fully understood how those could have broken

Whats odd is that the car's history showed that a BMW dealership did the install so i dont know how either mistake could occur
(#8)
Old

Default 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Decoupling rings are all there. I do believe it was due to over torquing whenever the injectors were installed that broke the tabs. I did run it by a couple BMW mechanics I know and realistically it should be ok as I have put almost 15k miles on it since I bought it and haven't had any issues. I think when the valve cover/guide tubes were removed it just allowed the tabs to fall free. Definitely something I will be keeping my eye on though. Thanks for the info/help everyone!