N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
The dude abides

Car: E92 xdrive
Default 3.5 bar tmap sensor - 07-28-2017, 02:18 PM

I'm using the N20 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, and am wondering if there will be an issue if I pull the JB4 out & leave the TMAP sensor in place. Will the DME see & flag it, or will I be in the clear?

Thanks.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-28-2017, 02:20 PM

Car will stumble and most likely turn off.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2017, 07:19 PM

If you also leave tmap unplugged car will at least run just with no boost.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old
The dude abides

Car: E92 xdrive
Default 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks Payam & Terry.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 08-05-2017, 06:57 AM

as a quick follow up on this, what if we set the JB4 to Map0? will the car still stumble and not run right?

I'm up to 19.5psi using the stock sensor, might want to push higher but need the sensor head room in boost reading. but every once in a while I have to bring the car in. Usually I take the BEF out and set the JB4 to 0. I would hate to also always have to pull the TMAP sensor in and out when it needs to go to the dealer for a small fix.

2011 335is - Alpine White on Red - JB4+Trebila BEF l BMS DCI l Mishimoto IC l BMS OCC l Phoenix CP l BWS WMI 100% CM5+CM10 l Turbosmart Plumb Backs l N54tech Dpipes
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-07-2017, 09:26 AM

In your first post you talk about removing the JB4 entirely, but in above you mention leaving it in and just setting to map 0 and removing BEF. Which are you talking about?

If you leave JB4 in and set to map 0, I'd trying leaving the 3.5 TMAP in. I think it might still use the TMAP setting 1 (N20) scaling, and allow the engine to run normally with a 3.5 bar, even if the other JB4 functions are turned off.

If you actually remove the JB4, you have to return TMAP to stock for engine to run normal.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Default 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
In your first post you talk about removing the JB4 entirely, but in above you mention leaving it in and just setting to map 0 and removing BEF. Which are you talking about?

If you leave JB4 in and set to map 0, I'd trying leaving the 3.5 TMAP in. I think it might still use the TMAP setting 1 (N20) scaling, and allow the engine to run normally with a 3.5 bar, even if the other JB4 functions are turned off.

If you actually remove the JB4, you have to return TMAP to stock for engine to run normal.
The OP was asking if he left the sensor in but pulled the JB4 completely out.

I am asking is can we leave the sensor , leave JB4 in but on Map 0? and in this situation, with the TMAP setting at 1 for the 3.5Bar, will the car run normally.

2011 335is - Alpine White on Red - JB4+Trebila BEF l BMS DCI l Mishimoto IC l BMS OCC l Phoenix CP l BWS WMI 100% CM5+CM10 l Turbosmart Plumb Backs l N54tech Dpipes
(#8)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as3.0cl
The OP was asking if he left the sensor in but pulled the JB4 completely out.
Woops, mixed you two up - sorry

Quote:
I am asking is can we leave the sensor , leave JB4 in but on Map 0? and in this situation, with the TMAP setting at 1 for the 3.5Bar, will the car run normally.
Not positive but I think so. Why not just put your car in map 0 and find out?

(#9)
Old

Default 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Woops, mixed you two up - sorry

Not positive but I think so. Why not just put your car in map 0 and find out?
np - I would try it, but i don't have a 3.5 TMAP yet.....

Debating on getting one since i'm at 19.5psi with the stock TMAP and deciding if i want to try to go a little higher or just leave it as is. Or get the 3.5 TMAP for safety reasons since i'm at the end of the rope with the stocker.

(#10)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM

You need the 3.5 bar. A small boost spike could overrun the stock sensor scaling.

if you have to go back to stock sensor for some reason, it's only like a 10 min job. I can get to my TMAP sensor just removing one clamp for the rear DCI filter.

(#11)
Old

Car: 135i
Default Tmap sensor - 01-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If you also leave tmap unplugged car will at least run just with no boost.
Is there anything you have to change in your user settings when upgrading to a 3.5bar Tmap Sensor?
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigs135
Is there anything you have to change in your user settings when upgrading to a 3.5bar Tmap Sensor?
Yes, need to change tmap value to 1.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 3.5 bar map sensor - 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Yes, need to change tmap value to 1.
Thanks Payam! Ill let you know what happens next as this is being my first start up.
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i E92
Default 01-09-2019, 11:05 AM

I have also bought a 3.5 bar tmap sensor, I know I have to change the n20 tmap to 1 in user adjustment settings, but I have a custom BEF which was mapped for the stock sensor. If I reflash the tune in MHD and check n20, which will rescale the sensor values, and I also change the JB4 n20 tmap to 1 would the two interfere?

Because in map 0 the JB4 leaves everything up to the dme flash and goes into bypass, but the flash not knowing what to do with the n20 sensor, the car won’t run properly.

Once I install an n20 sensor I can only run with the JB4 on, or can the flash also be mapped for the n20 sensor?
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger
I have also bought a 3.5 bar tmap sensor, I know I have to change the n20 tmap to 1 in user adjustment settings, but I have a custom BEF which was mapped for the stock sensor. If I reflash the tune in MHD and check n20, which will rescale the sensor values, and I also change the JB4 n20 tmap to 1 would the two interfere?

Because in map 0 the JB4 leaves everything up to the dme flash and goes into bypass, but the flash not knowing what to do with the n20 sensor, the car won’t run properly.

Once I install an n20 sensor I can only run with the JB4 on, or can the flash also be mapped for the n20 sensor?
Do not check the box for MHD for N20 sensor. Only on the JB4 side, even on map 0 it will work.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Do not check the box for MHD for N20 sensor. Only on the JB4 side, even on map 0 it will work.
Thank you! Now it is completely clear.
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger
Thank you! Now it is completely clear.
Common mistake. Sometimes if you do flash it for a 3.5bar on the MHD side, you have to flash back to Stage0 (stock) fully, for it to retake the setting change.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#18)
Old

Default 01-11-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Sometimes you have to flash back to Stage0 (stock) fully, for it to retake the setting change.
That is kind of weird, but yeah I haven't gone ahead and flashed it because I was suspecting something similar. Now I will install it and just set it up on the JB4 side. Thanks again.