N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default Tons of Smoke out of exhaust - 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM

ANY FEEDBACK OR ADVICE ABOUT ANYTHING IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I am getting a lot of smoke out of my exhaust. I mean tons!!!
Its pretty constant.

I drove it this way for about a week, and it seemed to be getting worse (more and more smoke).

Then it started leaking coolant! Im guessing its the stupid water pump again! Ive replaced that thing at least 3 times, within between about 80,000 and 115,000 miles!

Im thinking i need to pull the engine out to try and figure out whats going on.
It would be ideal if i could start the engine outside of the car to troubleshoot, but is that even possible?

I guess i can start with a compression test. If thats good, maybe move on with one of those tests to see if oil is mixing with the coolant?

Can i test piston rings? And valve seals?

Another strange thing, is i've NEVER had ANY oil in my Oil Catch Can since ive installed it. Is that normal?

Current Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, Stage 2 Hybrid Turbos, USA PUMP Flash, DCI's, VRSF FMIC, RBTurbo High Flow Silicone Turbo Inlets, ER Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves, BMS OCC, RBTurbo PCV Valve, NGK Gapped Plugs, Index 12 fuel injectors.
All this because: "I wanna go fast" - Ricky Bobby
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 11-15-2018, 11:13 PM

Color of smoke ? Can you post a video ?
(#3)
Old

Default 11-15-2018, 11:36 PM

I would say its gray/white.
I can post a video tomorrow afternoon at about 6pm PST

Current Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, Stage 2 Hybrid Turbos, USA PUMP Flash, DCI's, VRSF FMIC, RBTurbo High Flow Silicone Turbo Inlets, ER Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves, BMS OCC, RBTurbo PCV Valve, NGK Gapped Plugs, Index 12 fuel injectors.
(#4)
Old

Default 11-16-2018, 01:30 AM

Reading more i'm starting to think i may have an issue with the Oil Filter Housing To Engine Block Gasket.

Can i definitively determine if this is in fact the issue, or if the issue is somewhere else, like a blown head gasket?

Maybe a leakdown test could help?

(#5)
Old

Car: 2013 335
Default 11-16-2018, 07:25 AM

What does the smoke smell like?
(#6)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 11-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Drain the oil and the coolant. See if they are mixed together in either one. I have seen pcv failures cause smoking but not a ton. Gray /white smoke seems more like water/coolant. Oil will burn more blueish and gas will be black. Hope this helps a bit.
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 11-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Check your coolant level, if it's unusually low then you have found your problem. The coolant has to go somewhere if it's low.

M3 F80 2017 Competition & Carbon Brakes
JB4 ||| H&R Sport Springs

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#8)
Old

Default 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Coolant is leaking onto the floor.
Cant drive the car because its leaking waay too much.

I'm pretty sure its the water pump, but i havnt had time to tackle this yet.
I will get under my car tonight after work.

(#9)
Old

Car: 2018 F-150 Limited
Default 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Well the coolant also seems to be getting into the combustion chamber as well according to the color smoke---sounds like multiple problems to me, not gonna be a cheap fix
(#10)
Old

Default 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM

Compression test complete

All 180psi except cyl 5 comes to 175psi

Now what?
Im at a loss. Those values seem good to me.

(#11)
Old

Car: 2013 335
Default 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM

Compression test results sound good. If it’s oil I’d be looking at the turbo.
(#12)
Old

Default 11-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Whats the best way to check the turbos?

Does the engine need to come out?

(#13)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 11-18-2018, 04:21 AM

You can check the front turbo by removing the inlet and then seeing if the wheel moves in & out or not.
(#14)
Old

Default 11-18-2018, 11:24 PM

Ill definitely get to the turbos sooner or later, but what about the oil cooler gasket?

I recently changed the oil filter housing gasket which was leaking oil, but i didnt replace the cooler to the engine gasket...

Could this be an issue with the smoke?

(#15)
Old

Default 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM

Turbos are leaking... time for new ones, or rebuild? Just chra?
Stage 1?

(#16)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 11-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Rebuilding the turbos with new balanced CHRAs are a project all in themselves. You need to media blast the exhaust manifold, install and weld new wastegates, buy new wastegate actuators and size the actuator rods...not to mention you can mess up removing the old and installing the new CHRA's - just buy new rebuilt turbos from RB turbo.
Blown turbos make a lot of smoke.
I would pressurize your coolant tank to 15 psi to find where the coolant is leaking from. If the coolant level is going down in the expansion tank but nothing is visibly leaking, then it might be a head gasket. I would do a leak down test, they give better information in terms of engine life.
The oil cooler will not cause smoke if leaking. If that leaks, it will leak oil onto your serpentine belt and the belt will spray oil all over the underside of the hood.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! FBO, E85 Walbro 450, xHP trans flash
(#17)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 01:00 AM

Great explanation! Thank you!

I fixed the coolant leak by replacing my water pump.

Should i still pressurize the coolant tank for leaks regarding the turbo? Or leak down test in the cylinders?

If i go the CHRA route, im pretty sure i can do the rods and replace the CHRA without a problem.
The CHRA wouldnt need to be rebalanced, right?

(#18)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 09:16 AM

If you have already done the coolant bleeding procedure twice and the coolant level is at max then I would pressurize the coolant system to 15 psi and let it sit for 10 min or so.
The hose clamps used to connect the rubber tubing to the waterpump/thermostat will seat themselves/might shift a little when the system is under pressure, i had to tighten them up some more after the first pressure test.
I would re-check the coolant level, if the coolant level has dropped and there is no coolant on the floor, I would bleed the coolant once more, top it off and pressurize the coolant system to 15 psi again.
Then check the coolant level, if the level has dropped, I would suspect that coolant is leaking internally in the engine and probably into the oil. T
Then it would be time for a leak down test to get more information.

Regarding the CHRA, you will have to media blast the turbine and compressor along with the exhaust manifold. You can try to buy a rebuild kit online but your "newly rebuilt " turbos won't last long. They will vibrate themselves to death. Also you will want to media blast the CHRA housing, then once the CHRA is put back together, you will need to get it balanced as a whole unit. Honestly, it is by far easier to just buy rebuilt CHRAs from a good known reputable dealer such as RB turbo (I got mine from him).
BTW, replacing the old CHRAs with the new CHRAs is no easy task, you need to pay attention to every little detail. You will want to replace the wastegates as well, which requires a TIG welder to do. If you don't have tons of time to work on the car, just buy some rebuilt OEM turbos and save yourself the hassle and possibility of messing it up. This is coming from someone who actually did it.

(#19)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 12:08 PM

"You can try to buy a rebuild kit online but your "newly rebuilt " turbos won't last long. They will vibrate themselves to death."

If i buy these and install them, will i still have the vibration issues?
https://www.rbturbo.com/rb-n54-oem-t...-chra-rebuilds

(#20)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo109
"You can try to buy a rebuild kit online but your "newly rebuilt " turbos won't last long. They will vibrate themselves to death."

If i buy these and install them, will i still have the vibration issues?
https://www.rbturbo.com/rb-n54-oem-t...-chra-rebuilds
Yes, those are the same ones I bought. The CHRAs are already assembled and balanced. If you're going the CHRA route, be careful, if you bend one of those fins, you will have to stop the install and talk to Rob about swapping it out. Also if you removed your old CHRAs without damaging them, I think Rob will buy them from you for something like $50.

By rebuild kit, I meant a kit where you take the old CHRA apart and install the new bearing/thrust hardware.
DON'T GET THIS: http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-n54...o-rebuild-kit/

(#21)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Its ur turbo seals, Just had the same issue. Get it fixed soon or you will ruin ur car because the unequal proportion of smoke in the exhaust side of the turbo will cause the inlet blade to fail and you don't want metal shavings in your motor... Just my .02. You are not f***ed u just need someone telling you the reality of the situation. Good luck brotha...
(#22)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
Yes, those are the same ones I bought. The CHRAs are already assembled and balanced. If you're going the CHRA route, be careful, if you bend one of those fins, you will have to stop the install and talk to Rob about swapping it out. Also if you removed your old CHRAs without damaging them, I think Rob will buy them from you for something like $50.

By rebuild kit, I meant a kit where you take the old CHRA apart and install the new bearing/thrust hardware.
DON'T GET THIS: http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-n54...o-rebuild-kit/
I dont want to have to do anything with balancing, so i will stay away from that rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stall Master
Its ur turbo seals, Just had the same issue. Get it fixed soon or you will ruin ur car because the unequal proportion of smoke in the exhaust side of the turbo will cause the inlet blade to fail and you don't want metal shavings in your motor... Just my .02. You are not f***ed u just need someone telling you the reality of the situation. Good luck brotha...
Will doing that require a balance afterwards?

(#23)
Old

Default 11-27-2018, 03:38 PM

The smoke is more than likely your turbo seals...that requires either replacing the turbos or replacing the CHRAs.

(#24)
Old

Default 12-03-2018, 04:04 PM

Does this tell us anything?
Name:  bad.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  265.2 KB

(#25)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 12-03-2018, 05:33 PM

You are clearly leaking oil from your hot side. What turbos do you have now? If you are still stock itís time for new ones. I can point you to better manufactures other than Pure,MMP, RB, VTT, etc. they are well priced, custom built in U.S. and use custom step gapping as well as your choice of gtx 9 blade or 11 blade. Depends how much you want to make. And come at a price weíll preferred to me as I had the same issue. Shoot me a PM if interested. Letís get his oils problem fixed ya?