Old

Car: Cobalt SS/TC 502whp
Default 11-03-2018, 07:01 PM

Still anxious to see those WMI numbers! Trying to decide for myself
(#952)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Had a chance today to hit the dyno for a little fun. This time around with normal pump fuel but the BMS WMI kit activated running a single BM10 nozzle, 75% meth to water mix. Our Stinger is also equipped with a BMS prototype intake and BMS BOV kit.

Results were pretty impressive. I played around with some different boost, timing, and AFR levels, but power was pretty consistent in the 450-460range, best results came running a 75 additive on map8. Map8 allows adjustment of boost as a function of WMI flow with 0 being close to map1 performance levels and a 75 additive being close to map7 levels. The additive can be set up to 100 to exceed map7 levels. I tried some higher boost levels and while torque went up, peak power didn't improve much, and timing drops ticked up, so we're probably at an octane limit here. Next go around we'll have to test E30 + WMI.

Per usual we'll include the detailed datalog with our dyno, something the other Stinger tuners are afraid to do, because with the JB4 there is nothing to hide. With the JB4 you can always record look at your own data any time you want.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#953)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-06-2018, 03:37 PM

So badass. That curve looks like N54 stock turbos maxed out as well, this Kia is really great.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#954)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 3.3TT
Default 11-06-2018, 03:37 PM

OK, not clear on where to put this, so here it is:

Installing my JB4 and wondering if I have the right one. The installation pictures show longer cables from the plugs, and being able to route the cables around the intake manifold. Mine are too short to emulate the picture. And the cable length from the JB4 itself to where the cable splits for the MAP and TMAP seems awfully long.

Thoughts?

I'm leaving on a road trip and need to know whether I'm good and any suggestions on how to route ASAP.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stung; 11-06-2018 at 03:43 PM..
(#955)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 11-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stung

Installing my JB4 and wondering if I have the right one. The installation pictures show longer cables from the plugs, and being able to route the cables around the intake manifold. Mine are too short to emulate the picture. And the cable length from the JB4 itself to where the cable splits for the MAP and TMAP seems awfully long.

Thoughts?

I'm leaving on a road trip and need to know whether I'm good and any suggestions on how to route ASAP.

Thanks.
Install looks correct. Just get the OBDII cable installed and that's it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#956)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Default 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM

Kia is gaining respect day by day. Can't wait for us to race it again an NFZ this weekend.

Burger Motorsports

(#957)
Old

Default 11-06-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando @ BMS
Install looks correct. Just get the OBDII cable installed and that's it.
Thank you. I thought it was. I'm using the wireless mobile connect kit instead of the OBD2 cable. My issue was how seemingly short the run between the plugs is compared to the installation document's pictures. I'm a little unsure where to secure/route them to avoid heat.
(#958)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
We left lots of slack in the harness so it can be reused on other platforms that may get the same motor, RHD vs. LHD vehicles, etc. So just zip-tie or tuck the unused slack out of the way.

Burger Motorsports

(#959)
Old

Default 11-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We left lots of slack in the harness so it can be reused on other platforms that may get the same motor, RHD vs. LHD vehicles, etc. So just zip-tie or tuck the unused slack out of the way.
LOL - OK, thanks! I was just concerned with the visual difference in lengths in comparison to the installation pics. She'll be fully installed shortly!
(#960)
Old

Default 11-06-2018, 07:41 PM

So, installed & app works, firmware updated, but display shows all gauges at basically zero. Is there some kind of guide to give me step-by-step what I'm supposed to be doing to get everything up to speed? I feel like I've missed something and I can't read 39 pages.

Thanks!
(#961)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger GT2
Default 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Connect the OBD2 cable
(#962)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger Gt1
Default 11-06-2018, 09:13 PM

alright so my primary hatless cownpipes are in, and threw two codes
yes both are because of the *****, and doesn't do anything harmful to the car but would like them gone, unfortunately Terry can't help because of legal issues, so I leave it to the forums for help on this one, I already tried clearing the codes but it didn't work so
Plz help lol
(#963)
Old

Default 11-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerGT
Connect the OBD2 cable
Are you talking to me?

I emailed sales and asked if the Mobile Kit would do everything the OBD2 cable would and got a replay that 'It does everything our laptop interface is capable of but just a different layout.'

I took that to mean the OBD2 cable's use was obviated by the Mobile Kit. I have no desire to have a cable running through the firewall.
(#964)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Are you talking to me?

I emailed sales and asked if the Mobile Kit would do everything the OBD2 cable would and got a replay that 'It does everything our laptop interface is capable of but just a different layout.'

I took that to mean the OBD2 cable's use was obviated by the Mobile Kit. I have no desire to have a cable running through the firewall.
The instructions are ambiguous and whoever you spoke to was incorrect. But you are sacrificing performance without the ODB2 cable.

Getting it through the firewall is easy. It takes maybe 5 minutes and the process doesn't leave any permanent modifications (no cutting, drilling, snipping cable ties, etc).
(#965)
Old

Default 11-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sym
The instructions are ambiguous and whoever you spoke to was incorrect. But you are sacrificing performance without the ODB2 cable.

Getting it through the firewall is easy. It takes maybe 5 minutes and the process doesn't leave any permanent modifications (no cutting, drilling, snipping cable ties, etc).
Are you saying the app and it's gauges won't work without the OBD2 cable?
(#966)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 11-06-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the app and it's gauges won't work without the OBD2 cable?
The app works. You can change settings and maps. But there are parameters available via OBD2 that the JB4 (and, tangentially, the app) need access to.

Just think about it. The JB4 wiring harness only touches the MAF and intake manifold sensors (and fuel wires if you added those). Engine rpm, ignition timing, throttle position, etc. data aren't available to the JB4 through that limited set of cables. But they're useful for both logging and optimizing the tune.
(#967)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Are you talking to me?

Correct, the bluetooth is the alternative for the laptop interface (data cable) not the OBD2 cable. 2 totally different things.
(#968)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 07:40 AM

So my answer from sales was only a partial answer. Or my question was phrased poorly. Either way, OBD2 cable through the firewall's required, I'm hearing. Very disappointing. But I'll cope.

So, after OBD2's connected. App's installed, firmware's updated, what else needs to be done?

Thanks.
(#969)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
So my answer from sales was only a partial answer. Or my question was phrased poorly. Either way, OBD2 cable through the firewall's required, I'm hearing. Very disappointing. But I'll cope.

So, after OBD2's connected. App's installed, firmware's updated, what else needs to be done?

Thanks.
Input the fuel bias settings, put in 4 gallons of E85, set it to map 5, and enjoy
(#970)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 07:57 AM

LOL 40-couple degree Fahrenheit is the high today, too. All season tires. Yeah, that'd be the end of those. Is there something around here about setting up the app, etc.?
(#971)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
So, installed & app works, firmware updated, but display shows all gauges at basically zero. Is there some kind of guide to give me step-by-step what I'm supposed to be doing to get everything up to speed? I feel like I've missed something and I can't read 39 pages.

Thanks!

Thanks.
It's all in the install guide.

Takes 30 seconds to route the OBDII through the existing grommet, not a big deal.

Burger Motorsports

(#972)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
Do you know who you spoke with regarding this? Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#973)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Default 11-07-2018, 11:22 AM

OBDII interface cable is part of the JB4 install.
With or without the bluetooth kit you still need to have the OBDII interface cable installed.
Without it you don't have a JB4

Seems like sales was confused and thought you were asking about the difference between data cable and the bluetooth kit.

Burger Motorsports

(#974)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It's all in the install guide.

Takes 30 seconds to route the OBDII through the existing grommet, not a big deal.
For those who've done this before, let alone more than once, I'm sure it is. For these things I seem to be on target with between double and triple everyone's estimates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Do you know who you spoke with regarding this? Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando @ BMS
OBDII interface cable is part of the JB4 install.
With or without the bluetooth kit you still need to have the OBDII interface cable installed.
Without it you don't have a JB4

Seems like sales was confused and thought you were asking about the difference between data cable and the bluetooth kit.
I sent in an email with a number of questions. The specific question I asked about the Mobile Kit doesn't ask if the OBD2 is required. I should have been more specific.

I'm extremely happy with my dealership and have been for years. Removing and re-installing the fuel wires and JB4 before going in a couple of times a year was bad enough. Now fishing something through the firewall makes it much less fun. Maybe I'll consider 3rd party oil changes. I buy my own oil, anyway.

But on to the fun stuff. Map 1 has a very nice kick in the pants. Lag is much more evident. I've yet to try Launch Control or anything.

Gas around here is marked as 92 octane, but I've been told for years it's 93. I guess I should give Map 2 a go.

The installation instructions stop after connecting the JB4. I got the app interfacing fine. And I've updated the firmware. I noticed the Fuel Bias picture in post #1 doesn't have any entries under Map 6 Boost, but my settings do. I assume that's an update. I also assume that the Fuel Bias settings for 4500rpm on are still the same as that pic with no changes from 0 in lower rpms?

Anything else I should be doing to get this dialed in? Or just enjoy Maps 1&2 (sometimes 3 when I dump a few gallons of e85 in) and not look to change anything unless I have issues? What does it take to get a custom map going with support?

Thanks!

Last edited by Stung; 11-07-2018 at 04:18 PM..
(#975)
Old

Car: 2018 F-150 Limited
Default 11-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Make sure you have the latest update for your JB4---you can do that thru the App!