N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Paddy Paddy is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Nov 2016
Car: E91 335i
Default Upgraded Cooling System Suppliers - 02-09-2018, 09:26 AM

I'm looking to purchase a stepped intercooler and high flow radiator which are direct replacements for the OEM items on my 2010 N54 335i (build date Dec' 2009), using original mounting points.

What's out there? What are you guys using?

Please supply part numbers too if possible so I can research the fitment and dimensions etc.

Much Obliged!!
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Nanometer Nanometer is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 609
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i, 2009
Default 02-09-2018, 09:47 AM

I use a wagner intercooler, works great. It's a design that is essentially unchanged for wagner since 2013, at least when I bought it. and uses factory mounts. Some removal of brackets will be required that will not be replaced unless you put your old intercooler back on the car. There are high capacity radiators available too. Check out ECS. You should find the radiator there, for the intercooler, just go to their website, or google websites that also carry their products.


M3 F80 2017 Competition & Carbon Brakes
JB4 ||| H&R Sport Springs

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Paddy Paddy is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Nov 2016
Car: E91 335i
Default 02-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
I use a wagner intercooler, works great. It's a design that is essentially unchanged for wagner since 2013, at least when I bought it. and uses factory mounts. Some removal of brackets will be required that will not be replaced unless you put your old intercooler back on the car. There are high capacity radiators available too. Check out ECS. You should find the radiator there, for the intercooler, just go to their website, or google websites that also carry their products.

Thank you Nanometer, appreciate your reply! Just emailed Wagner Tuning for info, will check out ECS too!!

As a matter of interest, are you still using stock radiator? Or did you upgrade to aftermarket? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
limitdown's Avatar
limitdown limitdown is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: 2007 335i E93
Default 02-15-2018, 07:12 AM

I've had a CSF radiator for about 3 years and it's really come alive after MHD put in an option for the user to choose lower target water temps. Lower water temps also help lower oil temps.
CSF's radiator is slightly thicker than the stock radiator. If you have stock turbo inlets, then you won't notice any difference. If you have upgraded silicone inlets, then you'll need to flatten the front inlet a bit to fit.

I have VRSF's 7.5 inch Race FMIC. It required a lot of cutting to fit. However, I'm very happy with the FMIC's cooling capability.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Paddy Paddy is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Nov 2016
Car: E91 335i
Default 02-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown
I've had a CSF radiator for about 3 years and it's really come alive after MHD put in an option for the user to choose lower target water temps. Lower water temps also help lower oil temps.
CSF's radiator is slightly thicker than the stock radiator. If you have stock turbo inlets, then you won't notice any difference. If you have upgraded silicone inlets, then you'll need to flatten the front inlet a bit to fit.

I have VRSF's 7.5 inch Race FMIC. It required a lot of cutting to fit. However, I'm very happy with the FMIC's cooling capability.
Hi Limitdown, thanks for your reply! It's the 7.5 inch stepped intercooler you have? Also, can you recall what model number the CSF radiator is?

My problem is, that I need a stepped intercooler that will allow my radiator to sit down low enough to allow the hood to close! I have a Direnza radiator, but can swap to the CSF unit so long as I get the right one!

Also, you mean you had to cut the bumper a lot to fit the FMIC? Do you still have the plastic mesh attached or is your bumper open leaving the intercooler exposed and liable to be struck with stones or road debris?
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
eligard eligard is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2018
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown
I've had a CSF radiator for about 3 years and it's really come alive after MHD put in an option for the user to choose lower target water temps. Lower water temps also help lower oil temps.
CSF's radiator is slightly thicker than the stock radiator. If you have stock turbo inlets, then you won't notice any difference. If you have upgraded silicone inlets, then you'll need to flatten the front inlet a bit to fit.

I have VRSF's 7.5 inch Race FMIC. It required a lot of cutting to fit. However, I'm very happy with the FMIC's cooling capability.
Heard lots of good comments about FMIC. We'll just finish the installation of shocks and poison spyder bumper on the current Jeep project and we'll be working on buddy's N54.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
limitdown's Avatar
limitdown limitdown is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: 2007 335i E93
Default 02-21-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Hi Limitdown, thanks for your reply! It's the 7.5 inch stepped intercooler you have? Also, can you recall what model number the CSF radiator is?

My problem is, that I need a stepped intercooler that will allow my radiator to sit down low enough to allow the hood to close! I have a Direnza radiator, but can swap to the CSF unit so long as I get the right one!

Also, you mean you had to cut the bumper a lot to fit the FMIC? Do you still have the plastic mesh attached or is your bumper open leaving the intercooler exposed and liable to be struck with stones or road debris?
The CSF radiator's part number is 7046 for my 6AT. The MT part number is 7045. CSF has been in the radiator business for probably 3+ decades. It's just a new name for our platform. http://csfrace.com/product/bmw-racing-radiators/
VRSF's 7.5inch Race FMIC is a stepped intercooler with a very big front face area. It requires cutting to the inside plastic brackets to install. I've retained the metal grille. There's no change to the outer appearance.
With the CSF + 7.5inch Race FMIC your car will look 100% factory from the outside. The hood closes without any issue. The CSF radiator is a bit thicker, so it pushes the fan bracket in a bit. I have stock location silicone inlets, and I had to squish the hose a bit and use zip ties to keep it away from one of the pulleys.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com