N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page TESTERS NEEDED: 3D Printed Plastic Vacuum Adaptor for Walnut Blasting

(#1)
Old
N54ever

Car: 135i
Default TESTERS NEEDED: 3D Printed Plastic Vacuum Adaptor for Walnut Blasting - 06-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I need 4 volunteers who are ready to walnut blast their cars' valves to give me feedback on my latest creation by using it during their blasting procedure.

Check it out in the attachment.

Here is how I expect it to work: A or B or C

A. Buy my complete blasting kit on www.bimmerhelp.info and if you're interested in being a tester, add it to the Paypal notes at checkout to let me know so I can send you a printed adapter, free of charge. You will also receive the BMW metal adapter as shown on the website. Everything is currently in stock!

B. At your own risk, buy the wand and modified nipple on www.bimmerhelp.info and let me know in the Paypal notes at checkout that you would also like to test a 3D printed adapter, free of charge. This is the cheapest option, but there are obvious risks in testing a prototype, though I don't expect any drastic problems.

C. You can order the prototype adapter by itself using a link I send you via PM. The cost will be $15 including conus shipping, which represents over 50% off what I expect to sell it for online.

I am only asking N54tech.com members to test. If you are an unregistered N54tech.com reader, please register and add your username to the list to participate.

Copy and paste everything below this line in your reply to indicate your username for participation so everyone can keep a headcount.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

N54tech Members Participating in the 3D Printed Vacuum Adapter Beta testing:

(only 4 members please)
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 AW/CR
Default 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM

PM sent last night. Thanks!

1. Rooringhusky
(#3)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM

I got a question from one of our friends up north so I thought I would add the info here:

$25 for the adapter (shipped) if you want to test it out in Canada (option C).

Options A or B are still valid for international customers as well.
(#4)
Old

Car: 09' 335i Sedan
Default 06-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Send me the link!

PM sent last night. Thanks!

1. Rooringhusky
2. apinedevil335
(#5)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM

I've sent the link to everyone interested but only 1 person has paid so far.

Looks like I should have just put the link in the original post! Anyway PM's sent with links.

I'd like to get all 4 in the mail tomorrow!
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Default 06-05-2014, 11:16 PM

So if I purchase the complete kit for $150 I will also receive the beta kit, not just one or the other correct? If so add my name to the list sir, needs to be done on my poor N54!
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-06-2014, 12:37 AM

@Alpinedevil335i Wanna use it on my car LOL

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 06-06-2014, 03:44 AM

i want to be a tester.
michael.lamberti.suffolk@gmail.com

i paypaled you for the nipple and wand and i would like the adapter for free as listed below.

B. At your own risk, buy the wand and modified nipple on www.bimmerhelp.info and let me know in the Paypal notes at checkout that you would also like to test a 3D printed adapter, free of charge. This is the cheapest option, but there are obvious risks in testing a prototype, though I don't expect any drastic problems.

there was no where to put it in the notes.
thanks
mike
(#9)
Old

Default 06-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Good idea!
(#10)
Old

Car: 09' 335i Sedan
Default 06-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
@Alpinedevil335i Wanna use it on my car LOL
Let's do it!
(#11)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM

All 4 have been spoken for.

Thank you all for the participation! I can't wait for the feedback...hopefully all good.

Latest buyers should add their username to #3 and #4.
(#12)
Old

Default 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

1. Rooringhusky
2. apinedevil335
3.mike082802
(#13)
Old

Default 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM

1. Rooringhusky
2. apinedevil335
3.mike082802
4. Paco11484

08 AW 135i - JB4 G5 ISO, WW Water Meth, BMS DCI, Raceland *********, VRSF Intercooler, Alpina Trans Flash

02 Subaru WRX - TD05-18g, modded stock injectors, 3" turbo back exhaust....and the list goes on.
(#14)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Thank you all again for your interest in trying these out for me and giving feedback when you can. All have shipped and have an estimated arrival date of Monday, save for the one going to Canada.

If all goes well I expect to have production quality pieces ready in the coming weeks.
(#15)
Old

Default 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90man
Thank you all again for your interest in trying these out for me and giving feedback when you can. All have shipped and have an estimated arrival date of Monday, save for the one going to Canada.

If all goes well I expect to have production quality pieces ready in the coming weeks.
I'll keep you up to date on how it works out for me...Thanks again bud and appreciate all the help...I know I told you before but this was a brilliant idea
(#16)
Old

Default 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Alright guys e90man was quick to ship me his Prototype Vacuum Adapter for Walnut Shell Blasting. I had a customer today that I used his adapter to clean the Intake Valves and I am just posting my impressions and feedback on the item. I also included a few pictures of what I can but it was hard because I couldn't take too many breaks while the customer was waiting.

Shipment: Shipping was quick and I got the adapter within a few days. It was packed in a padded envelope which is adequate for a plastic item such as the adapter. I think e90man took a hit on the shipping since it cost about 1/3 of what I paid him for the adapter. I figured the least I could do for him was leave a decent review.

Fitment: The adapter had a few rough edges but nothing that would affect its functionality. E90man told me that these were simple printing errors and only affect the Prototype versions. They are fixed and the future production versions will not have these issues. It fits the vacuum perfect and has a nice thicker collar to uphold strength. It fits the intake valves hole snug and perfectly and also doesn't scratch it like the BMW adapter which is made out of a cast aluminum type material (which can potential scratch the intake valves hole). No modification was needed to make this adapter work and fit into the vacuum or intake valve holes. Picture are shown of the adapter up close:

Feedback/Notes: This adapter actually makes it easier to walnut blast Cylinders 5 & 6 whereas the BMW adapter is much more difficult to reach certain angles. Also you dont have to remove the bundle of wires for this one to fit and blast Cylinder 5 & 6 whereas with the BMW one you almost have no choice. E90man mentioned you could feel the walnuts hitting the adapter as the vacuum sucks them up but that wasn't the case for me. With the shop vacuum on full blast and the compressor cycling there was so much noise going on that I was unable to determine if walnut shells were coming out unless I took out the wand and checked firsthand. Its a great product and brilliant creation. The pricing will make it even better since its a great options compared to waiting months on backorder for places like ECSTuning or Tischer to stock the BMW adapters/wands. All in all, I am very satisfied and it is easily worth $45-50 (if not more!) for the adapter as an effective alternate to the BMW adapter. Thanks for everything e90man and best of luck with this project!

Random pictures:

Intake Valves:

Setup:

Carbon Buildup:

Hope that helps!

P.S. I live in SoCal so if anyone is interested in a Walnut Shell Blasting I would be more than happy to do it for a fee. Just reach out to me if your interested. Thanks!

Last edited by rooringhusky; 06-10-2014 at 10:27 PM..
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM

What a great idea....nicely done!

When your production ones are ready to go...I'm in as I want to do the valves again soon.

Thanks,
Steve

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#18)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-11-2014, 12:44 PM

Thanks man! I couldn't ask for a better review!

I hope the others go this smoothly.

Thanks for the pictures too! As you can see by his pics, there is an accidental scalloped edge on the vacuum port...an unintentional 3D printing error. The first one I printed came out perfect, the other 4 I sent out to the testers have this anomoly. Easily fixed in the code, as I also tweak some other settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
What a great idea....nicely done!

When your production ones are ready to go...I'm in as I want to do the valves again soon.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, I will let everyone know here when the time comes...thanks to this review may be sooner than anticipated. But I want to see what everyone else says too.
(#19)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Looks great. Nice job.
(#20)
Old

Default 06-21-2014, 07:09 AM

ok so yesterday i attempted to clean my vavles with the adapter mentioned.

car is a 2010 135i with 55k miles. i bought it with 53k and did plugs and an oil change as soon as i got the car. original owner followed bmw 15k mile maintenance. car is FBO minus the intercooler with backend race flash. 5" stepped vrsf fmic to be delivered this week.

the fit was perfect. i do not have pictures as i had a really rough time, took me about 5 hours total with a few problems. for the last valve i broke the plastic adapter by where the vaccum attaches, i think this was because i didn't have the vaccum in the right position. i had a small shopvac. the other tools e90 provides are perfect as well. i used the bigger harbour freight blaster. i went through 2/3 of the 25lb bag of fine shells. the worst valve was cyl 5, not as bad as others i have seen here but not perfect, better than i expected.

so on to my problems.

1. taking everything off was going great until i needed to remove the vaccum line on the bottom of the intake manifold. pull and OH SH*T, i snapped the the nipple right off the intake. myfriend and i had to tap a valve we had laying around into the manifold and seal it up with some silicon. problem is it was a little wider diameter for the hose and a little longer, and those who have done this know that there is that push connection on the throttle body that sits directly over this connection. so with the nipple being longer and wider it was a bitch to get the hose on. i think that worked thought.

2. getting the intake manifold back on took an hour, i could not get that SOB to fit.

3. i dropped one of the intake bolts and searched for an hour. had my friend go through a bucket of bolts he had sitting around at the shop and could not find one to match, even went to the shop next door and they didnt have anything either. finally last try i found it.

when i started back up it ran like crap for a minute but i assumed it was from all the carb cleaner i sprayed in there. also it 100% smelt like burning wood. guess i didn't get all the walnut out. had a ses light but that went away after 2 minutes.

now after it warmed up i pulled out and got on it and for some reason now i'm only hitting 14.5 psi on map 5. before this i was hitting 17psi, thinking i will reset the adaptations in the jb4 1/7 menu.

so there you have it. easy, hell no, should have followed his suggestion in the pdf to just cut off the vaccum line.

the parts and customer service were outstanding. i really planned on taking pics but was scared as hell after i broke my vaccum line. nothing for me ever goes as planned.

i would recommend anyone doing this contact the OP for the parts.
(#21)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM

So did you break the actual vacuum adapter itself? If so, post a pic! I think I've already solved this problem in the production units though.
(#22)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM

When is the 3d printed one going to be avail for sale?

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
Fuel-it! Stage 2 standard,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#23)
Old
N54ever

Default 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23
When is the 3d printed one going to be avail for sale?
I plan on updating the website tonight, actually.
(#24)
Old

Car: a slow one
Default 09-03-2017, 11:04 AM

old thread but what happened to this I need an adapter
(#25)
Old

Car: 135', E46 M3, E36 M3, S13
Default 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Would you be willing to sale/send me the file? I have a printer so no since in wasting resources shipping one..

'08 SGM 135i | '12 C63 AMG | '95 S14 | '93 S13 | '90 S13 | '89 S13 | '80 Spitfire