N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#101)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM

If they can just get us some software that gives us better line pressure/clutch engagement etc. that would be a huge start. We can figure out the $6k part later lol

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#102)
Old

Car: 135
Default 05-24-2016, 04:20 PM

From Nizpro Website

BMW Transmission upgrades

The BMW community are well aware that the transmission fitted to their 335 N54 powered vehicles is the smaller cousin to what is used in the Ford Falcon XR6 turbo range. We have been able to achieve amazing results from the ZF 6HP26, it is now capable of handling well over 1200 engine horse power with our latest hardware and software upgrades.

Unfortunately the BMW guys have not had the luxury of ongoing development to their ZF 6HP21ís. Suffering all the issues experienced by Turbo Ford Falcon owners back in 2006-2008 before Nizpro started development of what has now been proven as a fantastic transmission for high performance upgraded cars.

That being said, no matter what power levels have been achieved with the mighty twin turbo 3 litre BMW engine, acceleration times have always been off the pace for the given power and weight of the vehicles. There have been endless complaints by owners suffering with slipping transmissions and long gear changes, hence slow quarter mile times.

With our reputation growing due to the achievements of customers running Nizpro upgraded ZF transmissions, it was only a matter of time before we were asked to develop an upgrade package for the smaller 6HP21 for BMW owners.

Due to an already heavy workload, and a project that snowballed in size, itís been nearly 2 years since we initially undertook the 6HP21 development. Most of the development for the 6HP21 was simply carried over from the 6HP26, but still required all our tooling and jigs to be reproduced due to the different size of all the components. On an upside for 6HP26 owners, some extra developments needed for a successful 6HP21 were now carried back to 6HP26.

After 8 years experience with the 6HP26, the mechanical upgrades needed for the 6HP21 were not groundbreaking as far as we were concerned, however a massive problem was the transmission software calibration, or lack of to be precise.

Transmission power handling capabilities and performance can be divided into two almost equally important categories:

The upgrading of internals to allow for extra torque requirements.
The software calibrations allowing for adjustment of torque management, shift speeds and transmission pressures.

One without the other gives a 50% result at best.

Now, many said re-calibrating the ZF via the BMW OBD2 port along with locating the calibration tables required for transmission control could not be possible. We at Nizpro are very excited to say that we have now been able to achieve this goal. It is now possible to read existing calibration, and also write new calibrations. New calibrations can be flashed directly to the ZF TCU via the OBD2 port.

The next development period will see us concentrating on custom calibration for use with both the standard ZF 6-HP21, and our upgraded transmissions. We will have hardware and software calibrations that can be purchased directly from us, and then loaded into the vehicle by their owners.

So what does this mean regarding performance gains for N54 owners?

Hereís the bit that most of you will love, these are real world measurements of transmission improvement:

As a proven example, one of our Level 2 internally upgraded 6HP26 transmissions using standard calibration will be 2 tenths faster over the ľ mile compared to a good condition standard transmission.
Take the same Level 2 upgraded 6HP26, add a recalibrated file and you will see a further reductions of 4 tenths.
Now, if you were to put the same recalibrated file into the stock transmission the input shaft would likely fail before the end of the first pass.

These numbers are based off proven results on a flat 10 second 4200 lbs vehicle. To be clear, the recalibrated and upgraded transmission will take a flat 10 second time slip down to 9:40 or better. After purchasing our own test BMW 335I, and performing mild upgrades to lift power to 300 rwkws, we see that the standard shift speeds are far slower than any standard Ford XR6 Turbo fitted with a ZF transmission running a standard calibration. I would say that the improvements of the BMW will prove greater than the above examples.

I look forward to providing more information and results as they come to hand.

Regards Simon
(#103)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM

So do they have a tranny for the auto guys as well as a flash for the TCU?
(#104)
Old

Car: 07 e92
Default 05-24-2016, 04:29 PM

Headed that way at least
(#105)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-24-2016, 06:06 PM

would be nice to have just a software tcu flash that can support at least 600+ tq no hardware involve
(#106)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 05-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Since we can now flash the TCU, what's stopping us from swapping in a 6HP26 or larger? Surely they can hold more power without any internal mods than a 19/21.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black
(#107)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 05-25-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Since we can now flash the TCU, what's stopping us from swapping in a 6HP26 or larger? Surely they can hold more power without any internal mods than a 19/21.
I think they're different mechanically, as in, it won't fit.

That said, it's probably easier to swap one of those in than a 4l80E.
(#108)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 05-25-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nniftyfour

Also this software was developed by BMW, they don't use the standard ZF software. So a leak is pretty damn unlikely. Without a leak were flying extremely blind.
Do you have any more info on this?

From my limited understanding, ZF purchases the TCU from Bosch. The model is GS19. This same TCU is used on cars from other brands which also use the same ZF transmission (VAG for example). I believe the TCU is an integral part of the transmission, as it's actually installed within the transmission itself.

Then, from there, I would have expected ZF to develop most of the control software since it's their hardware. I remember reading documentation from ZF which goes into detail about their adaptive shift pressures, amongst other things. Many of the features advertised about this transmission seem to have originated from ZF.

I would have expected ZF to then provide BMW with a base software stack, with hooks to add their own proprietary features (CAN messages, etc...).

It's definitely possible that BMW completely re-implemented their own TCU using the same hardware, but it seems kind of unusual.

I assumed it was similar to how many Bosch ECUs operate in the same way, regardless of manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac @ BMS/DMD
I feel like we have a much better chance of someone creating a standalone 6HP19/21 controller than we do cracking the TCU's encryption. If we had that, it would be simple:

1) Code the car as a manual
2) Install standalone transmission controller
3) Have all the transmission control you could ever want
I can at least say that this is 100% possible.

Here's an interesting listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5L40E-6L45-6...9VShNT&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
For now I have stopped for now after seeing that the TCU program is decompressed on the fly, requiring a decompressor to be written to be able to read the ASM and start working on hacking the protections. Looks like I need to learn more about what and how things were done on Fords.
Could you elaborate? I like to learn about these things. I'm going to throw out some speculations, so feel free to correct me:

There must be some portion of code that's not compressed. Perhaps the bootloader or maybe a pre-bootloader? If 100% of the image is compressed, then the CPU must have HW decompression support, which must be documented in the programmers manual (if that's even attainable).

Does the reset vector not contain executable code? If it does, isn't it likely that this code is actually the decompressor?

Would searching for some common compression type magic values help?

gzip: 0x1f 0x8b
z: 0x1f 0x9d
bzip: 0x42 0x5a
pkzip: 0x50 0x4b 0x03 0x04

The 2 byte magic values will probably have a ton of false positives, but who knows. There are some other bytes in the gzip header which can provide some more detail as well. This is probably a long shot though.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 05-25-2016 at 06:55 AM..
(#109)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I think they're different mechanically, as in, it won't fit.

That said, it's probably easier to swap one of those in than a 4l80E.
I guess it would come down to physical size and bolt patterns. But if the 26 (or bigger) does fit this might be a more viable option than spending $6000+ on upgrading a 19/21.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black
(#110)
Old

Car: a slow one
Default tranny - 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
I guess it would come down to physical size and bolt patterns. But if the 26 (or bigger) does fit this might be a more viable option than spending $6000+ on upgrading a 19/21.
It wont fit at all the hp26 has been looked at but the 480le has a better chance of fitting and I believe still requires modification. This is all old news guys, Nizpro probably has a good product BUT
1. Price
2. Logistics
The mt swap is considerable cheaper as long as you're a DIY'er. Gotta give to NIZPRO atleast they have proof they can build a good product. There are others claiming the same but have failed miserably.
(#111)
Old

Default 07-12-2016, 04:04 AM

Bump for some updates!!!
(#112)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 07-13-2016, 04:47 PM

I believe that Nizpro are awaiting some big twin turbos and other parts from VTT and will then be back out at the track testing their transmission upgrades and software calibrations.
A number of transmissions are being assembled currently on cars with different modifications so software testing can be conducted over a broad range from mild to wild.
In the meantime a video feauting incar footage of an 8sec Ford with Nizpro 6HP26 transmission and tuning (among other Nizpro parts) has been uploaded.
This is the sort of shift under big power that will be desired and achievable with the HP19/21and Nizpros software/transmission upgrades.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DSwbrz2eoM

(#113)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM

The big question is going to be what they're gonna charge for the upgrade kit that would allow you to take it to a local tranny shop and get it done. Is it going to be ridiculous like Level 10? What about the valve body? What's that going to cost to get upgraded? Let's be honest, I don't know them or their reputation but if they find out they can make good money off of it, it won't be cheap because there's no other real options out there.
(#114)
Old

Default 07-29-2016, 08:48 PM

Bump for updates. Did you get the turbos? It's been 2 weeks
(#115)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 07-30-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90gone
Parts are literally stuck in customs for 2 weeks now. Simon is doing all he can to get them out, we are doing the same. For some reason they are being very strict about this shipment. They were sent the first RHD set of GC's as well as a shotgun single barrel to run on the test car. They should have them I would assume in 2-3 days.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#116)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddman
The big question is going to be what they're gonna charge for the upgrade kit that would allow you to take it to a local tranny shop and get it done. Is it going to be ridiculous like Level 10? What about the valve body? What's that going to cost to get upgraded? Let's be honest, I don't know them or their reputation but if they find out they can make good money off of it, it won't be cheap because there's no other real options out there.

Pretty much your last sentence said it all. Being one of the only guys to do this, and someone wanting it, they can charge what ever they want to charge for it. It's proven and it works.but being a bmw community and such, vendors and shops across the nation charge bmw owners more money for anything. Like why does a pcv valve for a neon cost 2 bucks but for a bmw it's 25. Both are plastic, both do the same thing

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Fbo with Cpi tuned at e55
Jsr Custom tuned
(#117)
Old

Car: e92 335i N54 2007
Default 07-30-2016, 01:57 PM

I really want to see these results.

Im on the fence with my trans. I have a 6AT and have researched the AT to MT conversion.

The AT would be faster at the end of the day even with NLS. But it has to be reasonable. $6K isnt too bad considering there are physical upgrades as well as software.

Bottom line is can it be done DIY. Shipping a complete trans and core charge etc would be expensive .

BMW E92 335i N54 6AT, Single Turbo to be decided. Turbosmart BOV / Spearco FMIC / Wagner Down *****, Stg3 LPFP and Fuel-IT PI kit, Aquamist PWM Meth trunk mounted, single 0.7mm nozzle spraying 60% meth, JB4 G5 + FSB + N20 Sensor + JB4 BT Connect, MHD JB4 Backend Flash, Fuel = e60 + 60% Meth, M3 Rear Subframe Complete swap + custom prop, front m3 wishbones, KWv3 Suspension, M3 brakes front rear, H&N ARB / 19" M359 Reps + Michelin Super Sports tuned by TREBILA
(#118)
Old

Car: e92 335i N54 2007
Default 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech
Parts are literally stuck in customs for 2 weeks now. Simon is doing all he can to get them out, we are doing the same. For some reason they are being very strict about this shipment. They were sent the first RHD set of GC's as well as a shotgun single barrel to run on the test car. They should have them I would assume in 2-3 days.
Hi Tony.

You have sold me the second set of RHD GC'S thanks

I know nizpro will be testing fitment etc but would love to help sort RHD fitment with my local shop Deutsch tech.

They are experienced race car builders. Any chance you can send me everything sooner rather than waiting on nizpro to get fitment sorted?

Obviously we will share the fitment solution.

BMW E92 335i N54 6AT, Single Turbo to be decided. Turbosmart BOV / Spearco FMIC / Wagner Down *****, Stg3 LPFP and Fuel-IT PI kit, Aquamist PWM Meth trunk mounted, single 0.7mm nozzle spraying 60% meth, JB4 G5 + FSB + N20 Sensor + JB4 BT Connect, MHD JB4 Backend Flash, Fuel = e60 + 60% Meth, M3 Rear Subframe Complete swap + custom prop, front m3 wishbones, KWv3 Suspension, M3 brakes front rear, H&N ARB / 19" M359 Reps + Michelin Super Sports tuned by TREBILA
(#119)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 07-31-2016, 01:40 PM

Tranny goes for $5,700 plus $400 0r 500 to get tranny in Australia , if you do not
want to send yours. My GTR-tranny cost me $15,000 compare with the N54 BMW..
If you can hold 1000 HP with this tranny it is worth the $7,000 U.S.A.
Still if you get a manual conversion, at the end of the day you safe some dollars,
but still will never be as fast as AT ...
(#120)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 07-31-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90gone
As Chris and Tony have stated the Turbos and parts have been held up in Customs so it shouldn't be long now.
In the meantime Nizpro have been busy working on and testing the B clutch drum upgrade for the HP21 which helps increase 2nd gear C clutch.
Just like the billet basket for the intermediate shaft (E clutch) this one has increased height and a few other features to allow the fitment of more frictions and give a substantial increase in surface area.
This is just one more part underlying Nizpros dedication to a full transmission upgrade and not just fresh frictions thrown into otherwise stock boxes.

Here are some shots of the B clutch and modified drum assembly.

CAD CAM model

Finished sample on the drum

Last edited by ZF 335i; 07-31-2016 at 05:48 PM..
(#121)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 07-31-2016, 05:31 PM

@Nizpro, we need a better business model to provide upgraded HP21 transmissions in the US than shipping transmissions around the world, which will likely turn out to be a two-month nail-biting waiting game during which guys won't be able to use their cars, most of which are probably daily drivers. PM me for some licensing ideas whereby you can sell and control the rights to tranny shops in the US.

2008 E90 335xi AT 67K MILES
MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#122)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 07-31-2016, 06:08 PM

Best solution > I'm buying a used tranny in e-bay or whatever please I can get one .Send that to them and I will have my car with me until they send the upgraded one.
(#123)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 08-01-2016, 07:18 PM

^ Makes sense

2008 E90 335xi AT 67K MILES
MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#124)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 08-02-2016, 08:21 PM

It actually makes more sense, to some, if they can just sell the parts separately to those that could probably DIY the rebuild. Maybe even have their own local trans shop rebuild it for them. Then maybe provide remote flashing for the tranny.

JB4, PT5858 ST, 3.5" exhaust, VMR V710, KW V3 coilovers, Wavetrac LSD, AKG subframe and diff bushings- Hybrid Ovations, Jehnert Doorboards, IDMax15 and 2 Arc Audio 1200.6 amps, white gauge cluster
(#125)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 08-03-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILUSI
Hi Tony.

You have sold me the second set of RHD GC'S thanks

I know nizpro will be testing fitment etc but would love to help sort RHD fitment with my local shop Deutsch tech.

They are experienced race car builders. Any chance you can send me everything sooner rather than waiting on nizpro to get fitment sorted?

Obviously we will share the fitment solution.
Nizpro have received the turbos from customs, the turbos are identical matches to the factory unit down to the mm, so we have no doubt these are going to fit perfectly, but nothing will be shipped until they confirm it with us. I think this should make you secure that you made the right choice... http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=48

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time