N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i AT (05/07 Build Date)
Default PPK flash makes spool time unnoticeable - 12-01-2015, 10:41 PM

There's quite a few thread on other forums mentioning this, and it was clearly obvious in a few cars I drove and the 335is.

I was wondering if anyone else can produce this in a Cobb or jb4 tune or something of the sort.

Also Alpina shifts are much faster with a PPK flash (no stage two required for any of this).

I'm sure the community and I would rather pay a tuner than the stealership. If it isn't against guidelines I can link the threads I'm talking about.
(#2)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 12-01-2015, 10:45 PM

You're in luck. There has actually been development on this front. Might be bb I saw it at or here. There's a PPK floating around for ijeos (I think they were saying it looked like european maybe based off values). If you flash the bin directly with mhd it works great until it's time for boost and there is none. So it is quick sub 3k rpm.

The new development is someone found a flag you need to change. Changing that gets rid of the error code & allows boost again.

Once I clear out this half a tank of e85 50% mix I have going on with it 22F outside, i'll go back to 92 & give it a test.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM

There's a thread about it in our n55 section as well. My 335i will be getting near perfection if this works out.
(#4)
Old

Car: E90 LCI 335i
Default 12-02-2015, 01:41 AM

I found the byte which disables the power level coding check so you can flash the PPK BIN for your car using WinKFP then read back with MHD then change this single byte and flash back to the car and you have yourself the exact PPK flash as you get from the dealer.

Interesting fact: 335IS and PPK BINs share the same defined tables as each other. A PPK is pretty much an exact upgrade to 335IS tuning.

The great spool of PPK/IS is a combination of tables, including ones which aren't yet defined. This power level coding check bypass will allow you to base your tune on the PPK BIN for your car rather than the stock BIN. That way, if there are advantages in the PPK which are not yet defined in XDFs, you get the advantages anyway.

The bypass will probably be in the next lot of public XDFs. If not, do a search on BB for posts by me if you're IJE0S and you'll find what to change there.

Who said Alpina shifts are faster with PPK? I'd be interested to hear first hand reports of this.
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW x1 35i xDrive
Default 12-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Hi, on my car the PPK made the alpina shifts drastically faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQSgVy70Ek

The problem is, I am on a N55 and stuck in limp mode due to the security checks. I found your post on how to disable them, but since we cannot read the N55 ECU with BBflash I assume I am out of luck?
(#6)
Old

Default 12-02-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87
I found the byte which disables the power level coding check so you can flash the PPK BIN for your car using WinKFP then read back with MHD then change this single byte and flash back to the car and you have yourself the exact PPK flash as you get from the dealer.

Interesting fact: 335IS and PPK BINs share the same defined tables as each other. A PPK is pretty much an exact upgrade to 335IS tuning.

The great spool of PPK/IS is a combination of tables, including ones which aren't yet defined. This power level coding check bypass will allow you to base your tune on the PPK BIN for your car rather than the stock BIN. That way, if there are advantages in the PPK which are not yet defined in XDFs, you get the advantages anyway.

The bypass will probably be in the next lot of public XDFs. If not, do a search on BB for posts by me if you're IJE0S and you'll find what to change there.

Who said Alpina shifts are faster with PPK? I'd be interested to hear first hand reports of this.
Is there a way to get this done for I8A0S?
(#7)
Old

Default 12-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Is there a way to get this done for I8A0S?
Unfortunately not. PPK is MSD81 only.
(#8)
Old

Default 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Hi, on my car the PPK made the alpina shifts drastically faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQSgVy70Ek

The problem is, I am on a N55 and stuck in limp mode due to the security checks. I found your post on how to disable them, but since we cannot read the N55 ECU with BBflash I assume I am out of luck?
I thought N55 PPK doesn't have those checks based on the fact there is a guide for flashing PPK on N55. Have you sent a blank coding file using NCS Expert as per the guide? The reason shifts seem great when in limp mode is because the throttle can be all the way down but you're only producing half the actual torque. I experienced the same thing in limp mode.
(#9)
Old

Car: 335xi 6MT
Default 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhiz
You're in luck. There has actually been development on this front. Might be bb I saw it at or here. There's a PPK floating around for ijeos (I think they were saying it looked like european maybe based off values). If you flash the bin directly with mhd it works great until it's time for boost and there is none. So it is quick sub 3k rpm.

The new development is someone found a flag you need to change. Changing that gets rid of the error code & allows boost again.

Once I clear out this half a tank of e85 50% mix I have going on with it 22F outside, i'll go back to 92 & give it a test.
Any tutorial on how to change the flag/can someone upload the corrected IJE0S file?

Edit: found the info on bb.

08 335xi 6MT | FBO
(#10)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Ok, I suck balls when it comes to coding and programming.

Can anyone explain what needs to be done to get the PPK based flash on a IJE0S car with Alpina TCU flash? That video of PPK + Alpina shifting is seriously awesome.

Better yet, Terry, can you figure out to incorporate the changes into the BMS backend flashes?

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#11)
Old

Default 12-02-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
Ok, I suck balls when it comes to coding and programming.

Can anyone explain what needs to be done to get the PPK based flash on a IJE0S car with Alpina TCU flash? That video of PPK + Alpina shifting is seriously awesome.

Better yet, Terry, can you figure out to incorporate the changes into the BMS backend flashes?
The only reason it shifts like that is because it's in limp mode and the throttle position far exceeds the normal throttle position for that torque output. Also it's N55.
(#12)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87
The only reason it shifts like that is because it's in limp mode and the throttle position far exceeds the normal throttle position for that torque output. Also it's N55.
bummer...

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#13)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default PPK - 12-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
+1 @Terry + @Martial... is it possible to get the PPK base files as a variant for the MHD canned maps with terry's necessary changes done to it?

|RB old gen|Jb4 G5|3" DP's|ER Competition Cooler|ER Charge pipe|Tial BOV|CM Meth Kit|Dual nozzle setup|BMS cowl filters|AFE intakes+scoops|
|BMS low temp oil thermo|MHD flash + coding|HnR Springs|M3 Control arm kit + H&R + Koni|LED Angel eyes+plate lights
(#14)
Old

Default 12-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kish2604
+1 @Terry + @Martial... is it possible to get the PPK base files as a variant for the MHD canned maps with terry's necessary changes done to it?
There isn't as much difference between PPK and non-PPK as people make out. The main differences between non-IS and IS/PPK are in the boost control which JB4 does itself anyway. In the long term, I think tuners will be able to somewhat simplify their tunes by having base tunes that can apply to both non-IS and IS cars once all the tables that vary between the two are defined.

There are handy tables which can be carried over or learnt from PPK/IS maps as-is without using the PPK bin as a base. The only reason I'm going to use it as a base is I'll need to start my boost control tuning from scratch anyway so I may as well base it off the PPK.
(#15)
Old

Car: BMW 335i xdrive
Default 12-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Great work, Brad!
(#16)
Old

Default 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Any way to get this on our cars?