N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#301)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Ok, you guys are talking about a "new" Alpina B3 TCU flash. Where can this be found? What number is it?

Trebila, are the DME tables you show editable with Cobb Protune Race? If not, how are you changing them?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...=22180&page=10

the tables should be editable with Cobb software, but I don't know much about Cobb things...

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#302)
Old
Legend

Default 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
My door jam says march 07 like his and I have the alpina flash

Its anything before march 07 that won't work.
Ok, so it may be compatible.

(#303)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, you guys are talking about a "new" Alpina B3 TCU flash. Where can this be found? What number is it?

Trebila, are the DME tables you show editable with Cobb Protune Race? If not, how are you changing them?
+1000. There should be a whole new thread with the new flashes because sifting through this 12 page thread gets old!

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#304)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
+1000. There should be a whole new thread with the new flashes because sifting through this 12 page thread gets old!
Yes it would be nice for someone to summarize all of the possible flashes because this is getting confusing
(#305)
Old

Car: 07 335 coupe
Default 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays 335i
i know a lot of you describe the flash as smooth and faster shifts but i am looking for firmer shifts(i can feel) does it do that and/ or is that in tables to modify line pressure??? also its been ask b4 but do bt cables work? i just got guts to do the pump flash and man what a difference!! would like to do the trans flash.....still reading for knowledge....
great!!! can i modify the line pressure and do bt cables work??/
(#306)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i AT (05/07 Build Date)
Default 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM

I think pages 11-13 should be plenty for summarizing the flashes. There are quite a few different flashes available (not all of them alpina). I don't think anyone has tried them all.

Anyway an update... still havn't driven the car in heavy bumper to bumper traffic much. So I can't comment too much on the smoothness of D mode in high heat situations but I did reset my transmission adaptations and here are my thoughts, feel free to ask me any questions that haven't been already addressed by this post.

If you have an Alpina flash already you should switch to this if you are on a 6 speed AT/N54. D mode will shift at 1500RPM if you have a very light foot or are cruising around that RPM. With a normal foot it will shift around 1800RPM, heavy footing I'd say it'll go higher but once again you need to consider how transmission ECUs work before saying this sounds great or horrible.

S (DS previously) mode is smoother, quicker, and much less clunky/jerky. It will hold shifts much longer if you are still applying throttle, it's more lenient on the 3000RPM - 4500RPM shift mark than the regular BMW flash. I'd say my DS mode was previously clunky 80% of the time, clunky meaning it felt like the trans was slow and not smooth in it's shifting behavior. Meaning it would feel like it's about to engage the shift because well it's about to shift but hasn't made up it's mind yet (I'm not sure how to describe this, sorry for the bad wording, but I havn't driven a manual and don't fully understand how transmissions work). And then when it did make a decision it wasn't a well executed one, it would feel like the transmission wasn't sure if I wanted to shift or not and didn't have the appropriate power to make a smooth & quick shift but it would just do it because it thought that's what I wanted. This now only happens about 10-20% of the time. Maybe even less. S mode is almost as smooth as the stock oem BMW D mode except that the torque converter isn't engaged and it normally revs to 3000RPM before shifting. And is much more inclined to be sporty.

M mode is a blast. I'm going to split M mode into three paragraphs, the first about me and my thoughts/understandings/misconceptions (which others will notice not me since I'm a noob) and feelings (yes feelings, BMW is love BMW is life) the second about BMW's M mode and the third about Alpina.

I didn't drive it in M mode much before but I'm learning the joys of what a manual transmission might be like now, I look forward to driving the car in M mode. I find myself driving in M mode most of the time unless I'm cruising on the highway going to work. Once again remember I have not driven a manual car but my friend used to own a 1999 VW Passat when I was younger and I remember his car quite well so that's where I get my manual knowledge/experience/feelings from. He drove it pretty smoothly most of the time. With rough shifting hiccups every now and then and he drove pretty fast, not dangerously but weaving in and out of traffic and street racing in straight lines through traffic or going hard from a redlight wasn't unheard of. In further reading anytime I refer to the transmission in a certain type of way it's being compared against a 2000 Corolla 4 speed (smooth), 2003 Lexus ES 300 (smooth & fast) and the 1999 VW Passat (manual) and a 1999 Dodge Caravan (horrid car with a horrid automatic transmission).

BMW's M mode I found to be pretty much useless unless I wanted precise control over what gear I wanted the car to be before taking a corner or ramp or something. It wasn't smooth in low RPM/normal person driving, nor was it fast, it almost seemed slower than DS mode (which was already slow). I hadn't really noticed how slow this car's transmission was until the same friend pointed it out. Keep in mind this is my second car, I've never driven a fast manual, and I never really paid much attention to it as I'd only had the car about 3 months at that point I think and I was still awed by the twin turbos and JB4 and BMW and my new job. And I'm still a fairly young driver. I always found the car rough in it's shifting but I hadn't yet pinned it on anything. In higher RPM/heavy throttle situations the shifting was just slow (compared to DS), unfirm and still some what clunky. If you did an adaptions reset on the car everything would be great for the first 5 or so miles but it got lame again. I particularly found it slow when going WOT/redline. I didn't really adapt well to the amount of gas being applied.

The N54 Alpina 7603537 flash is much better, I feel like Chris Harris shifting his Ferrari F12 around a bend. It revs, it growls, its quick, it always wants more. It's ready. OK fine maybe I am exaggerating a little bit but all of the things I pointed out in the previous paragraph it fixes, it's smooth when you need it to be (low rpm shifting), it rarely feels clunky (although that might just be operator error as I might have some misconceptions about driving a manual smoothly), and it's firm/snappy/smooth under throttle except when WOT. My car is currently stock with 50k miles. Under WOT I have to do more testing as I haven't really shifted it much a WOT as going fast on a straight line doesn't excite me as much as going through some twisty mountain roads at high speeds (which I did this weekend and it made me fall in love with the car all over again). It's fast at shifting in a turn and doesn't wait much for the turn to be over (requires more testing). Almost as fast as the DCT, you can still tell that it is a bit slower. And it's not always super fast but it is much faster most of the time (requires more testing).
(#307)
Old

Default 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Does 7603537 still show D1, D2... S1, S2... etc?
(#308)
Old
Legend

Default 02-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Sure.

(#309)
Old

Default 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Does 7603537 still show D1, D2... S1, S2... etc?
Yes
(#310)
Old

Car: 08 135i 6MT
Default 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yes it would be nice for someone to summarize all of the possible flashes because this is getting confusing
I gathered all the info from this thread and don't have an Automatic to personally try these on. Feel free to correct any errors or add info

7601492 (stock flash)

7603527 (BMW 2011 Trans Flash)
-No gear indicator (D1, S1)
-D shift rpm raised slightly (1800-2000) compared to Alpina B3
-Downshift rev match not like Alpina but better then others
-6800rpm shift

7615835 (Alpina B3 trans flash)
-Gear indicator (D1, S1)
-D shift rpm relatively low
-S mode shift rpm 2800-3000
-Great rev match downshifting
-7000rpm shift

7603537 ("New / Alternate" Alpina B3 trans flash)
-same as 7615835 except:
-smoother
-slightly higher RPM D mode upshifts

7603541 (Euro Sport Flash)
-no gear indicator in Drive but you get the S1, S2 in S mode / M1, M2 in M Mode
-Spot mode bit more aggressive than stock
-D drives just like the stock

7601494 (US Sport Flash)
-D mode feels stock
-S mode stays in gear longer than the B3, Shifts at about 3300 - 3500
-M mode is more impressive than the B3 at shifts

Current - 2008 135i 6MT | XR9567
Sold - 2007 335xi AT | 12.1@117
(#311)
Old

Default 02-02-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.K
7601494 (US Sport Flash)
-D mode feels stock
-S mode stays in gear longer than the B3, Shifts at about 3300 - 3500
-M mode is more impressive than the B3 at shifts[/CENTER]
Wuttt where did you get this information?
(#312)
Old

Default 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith07
Wuttt where did you get this information?
Read my post again, found in post #23

feel free to correct anything

(#313)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default New TCU flash (NOT Alpina)???? - 02-04-2015, 06:09 AM

Hello.

I stumbled across a thread in the diesel section of another forum about a company who was offering TCU flashes for the diesel cars. I went to their website and saw that they offer flashes for the gas cars as well.

I e-mailed them just to see if it was BS (I have seen sites claim to be able to flash our TCU before yet none ever deliver).

It looks like this may be legit. The company is called "JR Tuning UK". I have no affiliation with them (especially since I live in the USA and they seem to be in the UK).

Here was our email conversation:

Hello,
Do you offer TCU flashes for a 2011 335i?
It has the same 6HP21 as the earlier 335i and same GS19 TCU.
Can you provide some details of this flash?
Currently, the only choices are the Alpina flash, which is a factory flash from another car. If you have the ability to create a custom flash, many people will be excited.

THEM:

We've developed our own TCU tune for these and have done quite a few of them now. I'll send over some details shortly.

ME:

That's great! The E90x community has been looking for a way to increase line pressure and speed up shifts forever. That is the only thing holding us back from holding big power with the auto. If this delivers, you will be the only vendor to offer such. Can't wait to hear back.

THEM:

If youíre running large power, the gearbox tune really transforms the car. Weíve done TCU software for both big power 335iís and big power 335dís (the latter which obviously produce huge amounts of torque).

Youíll find the transmission shift gears far quicker than stock. Itíll also react to kick down far quicker than stock (less delay from requesting a kick down to it actually happening). Performance off the line and at low RPM is much improved by earlier TC locking. Youíll also find the box will permit higher torque outputs due to not only pressure changes, but also internal torque control and limiter modifications.

All our TCU performance software is available for installation in-house or we sell it worldwide via our handheld OBD programmer. Installation performed in-house also includes the OBD programmer. The tool allows you to re-flash the TCU following a BMW main dealer software update, or should you so wish, flash between modified and standard yourself too.

Pricing on our BMW TCU software is as follows:

All Non-M cars (E46/E90/E60 etc): £499 GBP
All Fxx series cars: £960 GBP
All M Cars (E46/E90/Fxx) etc: £1195 GBP

Just to clarify.. By ĎMí cars we mean full M3, M5, M6 (etc)Ö "M-SportĒ spec cars are not included in this pricing bracket. So for example on your E9x 335i the price would be £499 GBP.

If you require any further information, do let me know :-)

END.

If anyone is familiar with this place, please give us your input. This could be GREAT news for big power auto guys.

Jake
(#314)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Although 499GPB is like $700!!! Kind of steep...
(#315)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 02-04-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
If anyone is familiar with this place, please give us your input. This could be GREAT news for big power auto guys.

Jake
Be very careful here. No one has cracked encryption on the 6HP21 TCU for e9x cars, the ONLY software upgrade available is through various existing Alpina and OEM sport flashes.

Some companies here in the US are pretending they have their own software too it is all BS. Caveat emptor.

Might be fun to ask them if they have cracked the encryption, see how they react.
(#316)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Be very careful here. No one has cracked encryption on the 6HP21 TCU for e9x cars, the ONLY software upgrade available is through various existing Alpina and OEM sport flashes.

Some companies here in the US are pretending they have their own software too it is all BS. Caveat emptor.

Might be fun to ask them if they have cracked the encryption, see how they react.
Yes I agree. My first thought was "Oh look another company is reselling the Alpina flash."

The only thing that makes me somewhat hopeful is that they specifically mention torque limiters and TC lockup. Most scammers aren't as technical. Also, they have pictures of the CMDFlash tool on their website which, as weird as it sounds, makes me hopefull as well.

I can request more details if you guys have suggestions about what to ask them.

I would have expexted that if they cracked the encryption, they would have been marketing this much better.

Also, keep in mind that many German cars use the same GS19 TCU. However, I'm sure the software is different. I think ZF or Bosch provides the core software package and the manufacturer tailors it to their needs.
(#317)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Yes I agree. My first thought was "Oh look another company is reselling the Alpina flash."

The only thing that makes me somewhat hopeful is that they specifically mention torque limiters and TC lockup. Most scammers aren't as technical. Also, they have pictures of the CMDFlash tool on their website which, as weird as it sounds, makes me hopefull as well.

I can request more details if you guys have suggestions about what to ask them.

I would have expexted that if they cracked the encryption, they would have been marketing this much better.

Also, keep in mind that many German cars use the same GS19 TCU. However, I'm sure the software is different. I think ZF or Bosch provides the core software package and the manufacturer tailors it to their needs.
Well it is pretty easy to appear you have custom flash capability, or mention keywords, even Level 10 pretends to do that on the 6HP21 and it is BS; I emailed them and asked about it, no response.

I would ask these guys if they unlocked the encryption, how they did it, and do they now have a custom flashing tool they sell for users to DIY, and if they say yes have them explain it in detail. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see this but very very skeptical.
(#318)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM

Since many of you are wondering how the new flash compare to Alpina b3, I will share my thoughts about it. The new flash is 7603537 ("New / Alternate" Alpina B3 trans flash).

First, I tried with the current BMS flash (IJEOS) because most people familiar with that flash. It has Tribila/v8 bait's torque request tables and Alpina's load break points. My car hated it. D mode was very rough. It was very inconsistent. Unless you have lead foot, the car will shifts very rough. My car will suddenly accelerate to up shift if I don't press the gas paddle hard enough. I also found this inconsistency with the Alpina b3 flash. However, It was not as noticeable in the Alpina b3 flash. I found the inconsistency was related to the Alpina's load break point tables and load request. The solution is to keep torque request tables and load break points under 3k rpm stock. Then adjust your load request accordingly. After the new adjustment, D mode is just as smooth and strong as stock. The M mode just as fast as Alpina B3. I love how my car drive now in both D and M mode.

2008 e93 MODS: BMS JB4 G5 ISO, bms trunk, RB PVC, Lukeperformance flash, mount meth kit, OCC, ******* ********, VRSF 7" FMIC, charge pipe, DCI, Alpina flash,
(#319)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 01:28 PM

I'll be trying out 7601494 soon if someone can point me to any files needed. I doubt M and DS/S mode as a good as Alpina though.
(#320)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default FLASHING 7603537 - 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Are these the directions?

Credit to cn555ic at http://www.e90post.com/

Alpina B3 Flash DIY using WinKFP

DIY Guide to Flash Alpina B3 Flash:

************************************************** **********************************

WARNING...If you dont know what your doing, dont be brave and blindly go into this advanced flashing of software into the TCU module.. If your not too confident in doing this, either pay someone or just do without it.....WinKFP is a very dangerous tool but yet its awesome and in terms of coding its pretty advanced.. Proceed after reading this warning if you choose to do so...

************************************************** **********************************

This flash will make the transmission run smoother, gear change will be more precise and crisp, rev match downshift is unbelievable, rev limiter is increased and overall driveability is increased. You will have a new indicator for gear selection in D mode which display D1, D2, D3 ,D4, D5 and in DS mode you will see S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and the same for the M mode. This single flash will make the car change gears more refined and crisp. You will no longer feel the lurching when the tranny shifts and it goes through the gears without even the slightest hesitation. It is indeed a must have flash if you own a E9x with a N54 engine...

This Alpina TCU flash works for model years 3/07 till present N54/N55 engine (some N55 engines which are rare, exhibit the rpms jumping down to zero on each shift but acts normal in every other way..This can be addressed if you update your DME version if you have this erratic rpm issue after flash). If your production date is before 3/07, your out of luck and cant flash your car! Before you attempt this you should have some knowledge in coding and setting software. You need to confirm INPA software is working and communicating with car. If you dont have INPA communicating, dont move beyond this point and go back and do some more research on getting it to work.. There are plenty of DIY guides for setting up INPA, Ediabas, NCSexpert and WinKFP,

You can purchase a proven cable that works...Please dont ask will this one work as it is cheaper if so.. Buy one that is proven and it will save you alot of headaches!

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

Once you have configured your laptop properly with INPA, NCSexpert and WinKFP, you need to download Spdaten 53.0 which I have provided a link to download a condensed form for the strict purpose of this Alpina flash. The link for the SPdaten 53.0 is not the entire version and doesnt have the other data files needed to flash other modules if you need them, this is strictly for Alpina flash which makes the download much quicker...If you have any quesitons, call or text me 1917-939-4980 or even email me Ccnoner@aol.com or need assistance to remote flash it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb0bm1he0j7hto9/53.0.rar

Follow the guide how to import the SPdaten 53.0 data into Winkfp by downloading the PDF I have provided below..Once you have the data imported into Winkfp then you need to configure the Winkfp..follow this

Once Winkfp is configured correctly your ready to begin the flash of your new Alpina B3 software into your car!!

IMPORTANT..For those using Procede or JB4 make sure the tune is set to VALET map 0 before you start the flash..

Here we go:

-Make sure your battery is good if not get a battery charger

-Open drivers door and turn ignition ON (cluster guage on) Basically hit the start button twice without starting car..

-connect cable to obd connector of car

-Load Winkpf software

-Press (F1) comfort mode

-Press (F3) Update ZUSB

-Choose ECU GKE215

-Press (F2) Choose ZUSB

-Choose ECU GKE215 and next to it there will be ZB-Numbers..Find 7615835. FIND 7603537 FOR NEW ALPINA SOFTWARE.

-Click ok

-If you have done it correctly so far you will see at the top Assembly Identification number 7615835 (Alpina software ) and it will automatically reference 7591971. USE ID 7603537 FOR NEW ALPINA SOFTWARE.

-Press (F4) Enter VIN ( make sure you double check you have entered the correct VIN numbers)

-click ok

-Press DONE (F8)

-Press (F3) Program

-Pop up window will say you can code the ECU 63 more times, click ok

-Flashing begins and you will have to wait till it reaches 100% twice..The first bar will finish rather quickly and then another bar progress of 100% will take about 3-4 minutes
the most and it will be completed...

-If everything is done correctly, then you will get a pop up screen saying programming done, click ok

-Shut off car by taking key out. Lock car with key, wait 5 minutes and start the car..If everything works correctly you will not
have any warning signs or check engine lights...Enjoy your newly transformed AT Alpina B3 software

-Reset transmission adaptations with INPA or Bavarian Technic.

Using INPA:
F9 E90

Transmission

Gearbox Control module GS19

F6 Activate

F3 Reset adaption values

NOTE::::::

For newer build cars after the flash the paddle shifters no longer works...If this is the case you would follow part II of this DIY..

Alpina B3 flash Part II: DIY for NOT-working paddles shifters after flash

Alpina B3 flash Part II: DIY for NOT working paddles after flash

The Alpina B3 flash has been a huge success so far for performance gains as well as fixing many issues that has plagued the N54 platform for years. It has undoubtedly given the performance gains in which everyone could enjoy. The only minor glitch during the flashing was on new model years in which once the car is flashed the paddle shifters now longer worked, unlike the earlier build model years which didn't exhibit this. This was quite bothersome to me so I had to find a fix as it seemed unthinkable it wouldn't work. Here is your solution!

You guys need to use NCSexpert and have the latest SPdaten 49.3 or even 48.1 loaded up to both NCSexpert and Ediabas. There are tons of literature on this so do a search on it. If you not comfortable doing this or the actual coding, you can find a local coder and pay to have this coded....

Warning: If you dont have the Spdaten 48.1 or 49.3 updated correctly into Ediabas and NCSexpert, after doing this coding the car will be Dead and show a gear warning on cluster but this can be fixed by correctly updating the NCSexpert...

************************************************** ****************************************
Here is what you do:

0-Start ignition with cluster lights on

1-Load NCSexpert

2-File Use EXPERTMODE profile and click ok

3-(F1) Vin/ZCS/FA

4-(F3) SG ausw

5-Choose E89 chassis click ok

6-Choose CAS click ok

7-(F6) Back

8-Choose ECU and pick EGS

9-Press F3 (execute JOB)

10-After it says coding ended your done!

11-Close out NCSexpert

At this point 3 things can happen:

**A)There are no errors and the car starts fine and the paddle shifters are working and your happy!

**B)The car starts but then when you drive off, the shifting of gears are all screwy and changing incorrectly.

**C)The car starts but you get the dreaded GEAR error and it wont even go into drive at all..

If you have either B or C then you issue is the update of the Spdaten 48.1 or 49.3 was incorrectly done...Go back and check installation and start again

Reverting back to stock software...

Anyone that wants to go back to stock software for whatever reason, its really simple to do...Follow the same procedure and choose 7601492 as the ZB number instead of the 7615835 (alpina software zb number).

2008 BMW 335i | JB4 G5 | BMS Pump Flash | 3" n54Tuning *** | 3" ER Charge Pipe | 5" ETS FMIC

Last edited by bmwsf; 02-04-2015 at 10:54 PM..
(#321)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsf
Are these the directions?

Alpina B3 Flash DIY using WinKFP...
Yes

(#322)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yes
So for the "new Alpina B3" flash 7603537 we still use ECU GKE215?

2008 BMW 335i | JB4 G5 | BMS Pump Flash | 3" n54Tuning *** | 3" ER Charge Pipe | 5" ETS FMIC
(#323)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsf
So for the "new Alpina B3" flash 7603537 we still use ECU GKE215?
Correct

(#324)
Old

Default 02-04-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Correct
Thanks! A few more questions:

1. I read this:

#7603537 Older B3 Flash for N55
#7601494 Z4 Sport Flash
#7615835 Newer B3 Flash for N54

So will the "new" Alpina B3 Flash work for the N54 engine (2008 BMW 335i E90)? And is there anything in which 7603537 is not as good as 7615835 given that it is the older version?

2. Do you recommend resetting TCU adaptations after flashing and before driving car?

3. Also, are these the files for 7603537:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0d...ew?usp=sharing

extract them and then put them in this directories:

sgdat belongs here : C:\NCSEXPER
e89 belongs here :C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN
ecu belongs here :C:\EDIABAS
gdaten belongs here: C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA
gke215 belongs here :C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA

note : if you already have this folder just replace them with this new ones

Last edited by bmwsf; 02-04-2015 at 11:21 PM..
(#325)
Old

Default 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM

I just switched from the original Alpina B3 (7615835) to 7603537. Drive mode is marginally better. Seems to shift at about 100 RPM higher which is nice, but no where near stock. Can't comment on smoothness yet. Sport and Manual modes seem to be about the same.