N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default whitish smoke after dp installed - 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM

I need someone to shed some light on this whitish smoke coming out of my exhaust. Is intermittently but in my opinion shouldn't be occurring based on just a ********* changed. Current mod are: JB4 ISO, BMS Low temp thermostat, secondary cats deleted, and *********. After the ********* install is when the smoke started. No codes.

What can it be, it never occurred before the ******** install?
I shouldn't have to install OEM ********* or secondary cats back to mask what it may be a problem.
Thank you
(#2)
Old

Car: 135
Default 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Smoke was there before ******** install, just being masked by the cats. Common. Lots of threads about it.

2009 135i 6MT Jet Black, FBO+
(#3)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 02:47 PM

I agree but then what is causing it? how can it be fixed?
(#4)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 10-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernanj1
I agree but then what is causing it? how can it be fixed?
Turbo seal, turbos going bad

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM

How is it that the turbos or turbo seals are going/are bad with a car that has 83,600 miles and the fact of the name behind it not to talk about the price tag on them. The smell that comes from the car now is almost embarrassing. I can only imaging the bill to fix this and then if I do fix it how long is it going to last. Almost makes me want to get rid of the car. I guess I should start by taking it to the shop and have them look at it and tell me what's wrong with it.
(#6)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Default 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Well i think bmw only warranties up to 80,000 miles on turbo. Im notsure. You may be ok to drive another 10-20,000 miles who knows. Your stock ********* covered the smoke but now everything is exposed.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM

I read on the actual service bulletin and it states 8 years or 82,000 miles but here I am past the miles and I didn't know about it only after the fact. Plus having the mods doesn't help for them covering it. I guess ill have to be looking at worst case scenario and getting new turbos which from vargas is about 1,200 cheaper than BMW and I believe better build plus the labor.
(#8)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM

You can get a new set of turbos for around $1,200 at Tischer.
Jason Reighard | Internet Parts Manager
3211 Automobile Blvd. Silver Spring, MD 20904
EmailgetHelp@getBMWparts.com| AIM Jason at Tischer
But install is gonna run more than that when you include the install package (seals, lines, gaskets etc.)
I'd say your turbos are right on schedule for expected life, especially with a tuned car. They get beat up pretty good.
I was lucky and scored a used set with only 7k miles on them for $400 (off a salvage car). That was for my wife's car at 85k.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#9)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM

My fault I mean the actual cost is 1,209.22 vargas vs 1,249.95 tisher my bimmer parts is 1,306.85 all prices is after core. not to mention that vargas upgrades the wastegate arm and flapper for better ones. but im hoping turbos are not my case.
(#10)
Old

Car: 2007 e92 335i
Default 10-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
My fault I mean the actual cost is 1,209.22 vargas vs 1,249.95 tisher my bimmer parts is 1,306.85 all prices is after core. not to mention that vargas upgrades the wastegate arm and flapper for better ones. but im hoping turbos are not my case.
Sorry to say but turbos are your case.. I put my dp's on and white smoke appeared after awhile.. Had my turbos checked and my rear turbo seal is leaking.. I put my stock cats back on and now im just waiting for vargas to drop their turbos and hope for some good results or ill just replace it and go back to stock
(#11)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Don't know if I'd go through Vargas. He stopped responding to my e-mails and they don't answer the phone or call me back when I leave voicemails. Last time he responded to me was 9/29. So I'm calling my credit card company tomorrow to cancel it and just placed order in for RB.

Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi), Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: PTF Tune, RB Turbos, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, AA 2.0 FMIC, VRSF 3" ***, Berk Mids, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV.
(#12)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton
Don't know if I'd go through Vargas. He stopped responding to my e-mails and they don't answer the phone or call me back when I leave voicemails. Last time he responded to me was 9/29. So I'm calling my credit card company tomorrow to cancel it and just placed order in for RB.
Find out how long youll have to wait for the rbs first cuz last i heard they are not in stock
(#13)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm going to have mine check this week and hope but I'm pretty sure it's the turbos. Vargas to drop prices I doubt he will. Going back to stock sucks because im sure like all of us here no one wants to go back to stock. I love mine but makes you want to think the price for the car, the maintenance, parts & labor, etc. Do you want to keep it or go with something else. Once I get an opinion/diagnostic from the shop ill see if its worth it.
(#14)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Yeah I was looking at the Rb turbos which are more $$ but seems that these are more than just oem rebuilt units with the upgraded wastegate. but then the price difference is close to 2k so you have to look at the pros and cons.
(#15)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2nice
Find out how long youll have to wait for the rbs first cuz last i heard they are not in stock
He said about 2 weeks till a fresh set.

Quote:
Yeah I was looking at the Rb turbos which are more $$ but seems that these are more than just oem rebuilt units with the upgraded wastegate. but then the price difference is close to 2k so you have to look at the pros and cons.
Yea, but in the end I think you'll be better off with RB...I even added in the thrust upgrade.

Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi), Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: PTF Tune, RB Turbos, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, AA 2.0 FMIC, VRSF 3" ***, Berk Mids, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV.
(#16)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM

I might eventually go that route too. how much did it look at the door?
(#17)
Old
Jedi Master

Car: '10 335i E90 M Sport
Send a message via AIM to LivnLife31
Default 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I need someone to shed some light on this whitish smoke coming out of my exhaust. Is intermittently but in my opinion shouldn't be occurring based on just a ********* changed. Current mod are: JB4 ISO, BMS Low temp thermostat, secondary cats deleted, and *********. After the ********* install is when the smoke started. No codes.

What can it be, it never occurred before the ******** install?
I shouldn't have to install OEM ********* or secondary cats back to mask what it may be a problem.
Thank you
More than likely it is not turbo seal, but the fact you are fully *******. Plenty of threads on E90 about this exact scenario. I just had a guy come to me for an intake cleaning with the same complaint.

BMS Thermostat Delete / M3 Control Arms / BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills / Aluminum Pedals / DiMisa Tips / Umnitza Orion V4/ BMW Performance Suspension / Whiteline RSFB
[/SIGPIC]
(#18)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Default 10-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How is it that the turbos or turbo seals are going/are bad with a car that has 83,600 miles and the fact of the name behind it not to talk about the price tag on them. The smell that comes from the car now is almost embarrassing. I can only imaging the bill to fix this and then if I do fix it how long is it going to last. Almost makes me want to get rid of the car. I guess I should start by taking it to the shop and have them look at it and tell me what's wrong with it.
Hey i just replaced my oem turbos by dealer a month ago, but i have RBs going in soon! I will sell my oem turbos to you if you want. Less than 2k miles on it.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 10-13-2013, 07:18 PM

ok that's why I have to wait on a definite from the shop on what it could be. fully what I don't speak ****. you think my intake valves are full of gunk/oil? and I'm not on e90 I'm here trying to get information, experience from other 335i owners. Now with that said did your intake cleaning resolve this guy issue with the smoke. And if it did did you walnut blast the valves and how much $$
(#20)
Old

Default 10-14-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBMW3
Hey i just replaced my oem turbos by dealer a month ago, but i have RBs going in soon! I will sell my oem turbos to you if you want. Less than 2k miles on it.
pm me
(#21)
Old

Default 10-14-2013, 04:40 AM

Today on my way to work i got smoke pass my windows one time and got a service engine soon. so later ill read the code and see what it is.
(#22)
Old

Default 10-14-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
ok that's why I have to wait on a definite from the shop on what it could be. fully what I don't speak ****. you think my intake valves are full of gunk/oil? and I'm not on e90 I'm here trying to get information, experience from other 335i owners. Now with that said did your intake cleaning resolve this guy issue with the smoke. And if it did did you walnut blast the valves and how much $$
Its your turbo seals guy..seen this happen to about 13 335i... Some tunes some not..and the smoke appears once u come to a stop and its white & smells like oil.. Its the seal. Just find out which turbo is bad & replace it, or just replace both being that the other one would be right next to it.
(#23)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 10-14-2013, 06:41 AM

I got white smoke with my 135i and my 1M. I transferred over all my mods from my 135i to my 1M when my 1M had 2500 miles on it. White smoke happened immediately. It's not your turbos, it's condensation - Unless it smells like oil or coolant. It's probably not.

My $0.02.
(#24)
Old

Default 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I might eventually go that route too. how much did it look at the door?
Do you mean how much was it all together with shipping and everything?

About $3,900 and some change. $600 gets refunded to me when he gets my cores, so about $3,300 in the end.

(#25)
Old

Default 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton
Do you mean how much was it all together with shipping and everything?

About $3,900 and some change. $600 gets refunded to me when he gets my cores, so about $3,300 in the end.
That's not bad for the upgrade, something to consider.