N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1476)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILYSI
Lots of faith in Rob. Burger must have told him to under promise and over deliever. Next time Keep your mouth shut Burger.
Rob's definitely running the show on this one but I've always believed in that mantra.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1477)
Old

Car: 335i/m6
Default 05-08-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer
Personally, I think Rob and Terry should just take the time to put full mods on the car and show us the numbers then... I think it would give us all a better representation of where the product stands. Not a lot of people see the efficiency gains and all they ever see are the dyno numbers, as misleading as that can be. Going fully modded + turbos is where we are all at anyway.
I think they're doing it right starting with a stock car to see where their limits are. I'm keeping my car as stock as possible or reversable. So far DP's for me, RPI scoops, BMS air filter / stock intake, Stett charge pipe with black Forge DV's, CM VC2 meth kit.

I plan to keep my stock exhaust and IC for now. If i have to go bigger IC I guess I will. My car is a sleeper, Black on Black, no badges, black kidney's, stock wheels.

Funny, I took it to the track and everybody was like what the hell did he bring that thing here "four door with baby seat in the back" and ran a 12.4 at 112mph 1.8 60ft on a hot ass day 80F. Then they were all asking is that thing stock? Hell yeah! i would reply. They looked in the engine bay didn't see anything, looked at the exhaust same thing.

You should see all the Evo guys face's. They were running mid 13's of course they were stock. Then they were asking me again, what were your times again? How much HP does that thing have? with a straight face i would say 300 HP, I could see it in they're eyes "he's full of ****". LOL!

I can't imagine when I install my DP's, meth and Stett charge pipe.

I already sent Rob a set of turbo's just waiting for him to finish his final numbers and results. Can't wait to have everything installed. 11 second four door!
(#1478)
Old

Car: M3 DCT
Default 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Im on the verge of giving up on this upgrade - this thread was started so long ago and everytime I see a new post on here I get excited to see some concrete information about the upgrade and it never happens - bottom line, are we going to be able to get our hands on these soon (the next month), or no?

'11 M3 DCT: ESS VT2-625, Gintani Full ***-less, etc... 11.712@132.26mph w/ 2.15 60ft
(#1479)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 05-09-2010, 09:44 AM

The car still runs, and runs good... but REALLY good when there are good IATs.
I have yet to install the Intercooler, although I believe the OE unit is killing me (thermal efficiency, pressure drop, etc).

These past several days I have been looking into different options for full supporting mods (Turboback exhaust, diverter valves, etc). I am looking into everything as I just dont have time to rule out what maybe a bottleneck, etc. When time permits, I could remove part by part to see what helps and what didnt... but its not on my priority list to do anything but prove these out.

I believe I have decided on all of the parts and will be pulling the trigger tomorrow morning if all goes as planned.

I never ordered new spark plugs as I have the original units in the car as we speak and they need to go as well i am sure.

I am still positioning this car around true pump gas numbers, but meth or higher octane will definitely be a factor when it comes to maxxing them out.

Rome wasnt built in a day guys, and just remember this burden isnt on you. There has been a ton of cost to me, TON of cost (not only monetarily).

All you have to do is sit back and wait. But if you wish to not wait and a group of you (7+) want to get together and buy it (without anything official from me), then we can arrange that now. Your call.

The facts right now:
1) These hold lots of boost through redline with little effort from the tuning (16+psi thus far), even with the stock FMIC which probably has ~4psi pressure drop at that airflow volume.
2) They work. There has been zero related turbo issues with my car. This includes the wastegates.
3) The car feels fantastic with cool IATs even with little supporting mods.
4) Very clean and stocklike install. Nearly undeterminable that the install isnt stock!

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 05-09-2010 at 10:15 AM..
(#1480)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Forge Motorsports Diverter valves are due in on Tuesday.

I just ordered new spark plugs and spark plug tool as posted a few days ago, especially in light of the used to new spark plug thread just posted.

Need to install the BMS ******** fix, but I have it in my hands (maybe today). I am getting check engine lights due to those codes.
(#1481)
Old
maniac

Car: e93
Default 05-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERM324
Im on the verge of giving up on this upgrade - this thread was started so long ago and everytime I see a new post on here I get excited to see some concrete information about the upgrade and it never happens - bottom line, are we going to be able to get our hands on these soon (the next month), or no?

I would guess rob will be making his first batch of turbos for sale within a month.

U need to remember that he lost alot of time figuring out his full wastegate upgrade - which btw I believe no one else has.
He has also taken his time trying to max out his hardware (***, thoughts on exhaust, and now IC).

After his tuning and dyno with his helix IC, the only thing left for him to do is methanol tuning - if he chooses to do so.
Fwiw I think he and Terry should max out the rb turbo tune on both pump gas AND methanol - but rob could surely start making turbo kits for release even before he does a final methanol tune.

If rob wanted just a quick buck, he could have released his turbos quite a while ago.
IMHO, in the end I think everyone's patience will be rewarded very soon.

My 2 cents

if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
(#1482)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-09-2010, 10:14 AM

I forgot to mention above, they INSTALL beautifully! You or any other independent shop will have no hiccups whatsoever that are due to these turbos. For all they would know, is that they are new stock turbos.
(#1483)
Old
Olimpiakos

Car: 335i e90
Default 05-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Any price point with wastegate upgrade for the 7+ people if they were to buy now??

YMB F80 M3- Jb4
F85 X5M-Jb4

Last edited by Ggreek5; 05-09-2010 at 12:01 PM..
(#1484)
Old
Joose Bocks

Car: 135, AT, JB3, DCI...
Default 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM

This sounds fantastic rob. I am glad the turbos are functioning well. I bet when you upgrade your IC you will see the gains you've been looking for.
(#1485)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Were the spark plugs and diverter valves really needed? For me the price of your upgrade increases each week due to the Greek finances driving Euro down. My price consciousness climbs accordingly...
(#1486)
Old
Band

Car: 135i
Default 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
But if you wish to not wait and a group of you (7+) want to get together and buy it (without anything official from me), then we can arrange that now. Your call.

The facts right now:
1) These hold lots of boost through redline with little effort from the tuning (16+psi thus far), even with the stock FMIC which probably has ~4psi pressure drop at that airflow volume.
2) They work. There has been zero related turbo issues with my car. This includes the wastegates.
3) The car feels fantastic with cool IATs even with little supporting mods.
4) Very clean and stocklike install. Nearly undeterminable that the install isnt stock!

Rob
Buy it? What exactly do you mean? The rights to the turbos or just buying the turbo upgrade?
I am interested either way.
Lutz I am coming your way early June, my offer still stands!

Vae Victis!

If you are not going Juice Box then you are going slow.
(#1487)
Old

Car: E92 DCT ///M
Default 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM

in for the first 7. Who Else?

1.LostMarine
(#1488)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM

What's the difference? What are the alternatives? As said before I don't think dynoing changes the upgrade in any way, so I don't care about the dyno. On the other hand, if the alternative is to dyno it tomorrow, so having been waiting for the last couple of weeks for the dyno (unnecessarily), waiting one more day does not bother me...
(#1489)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM

my point of view is that the hardware works, its not going to change, just the tuning, well guess what, im ok with helping out on that end as well. so whats the point in waiting for dyno results? i understand why RB needs to hold off because he is selling/marketing something and needs proof to show the effectiveness.

I don't neeed the #'s from him, i can do that on my own.. so to anyone else that wants the turbo's what does waiting for RB to dyno do for the hardware you are purchasing? nothing..
(#1490)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine
my point of view is that the hardware works, its not going to change, just the tuning, well guess what, im ok with helping out on that end as well. so whats the point in waiting for dyno results? i understand why RB needs to hold off because he is selling/marketing something and needs proof to show the effectiveness.

I don't neeed the #'s from him, i can do that on my own.. so to anyone else that wants the turbo's what does waiting for RB to dyno do for the hardware you are purchasing? nothing..
I think IMHO, that people do want to see numbers because there are other turbos that give XYZ WHP to a stock N54, so if Rob states his will do XYZ WHP then there will be justification on paying XYZ USD for them over the other turbos out there. So in time he will be ready and we will have them for summer!! At a really good price!!
(#1491)
Old
maniac

Default 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM

I see your point of view guys -
but fwiw, me being on a different continent and at very high altitude, I would think it prudent for me to wait for a solid RB turbo BASE tune that is finalized by Terry to start with.

JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
(#1492)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
I see your point of view guys -
but fwiw, me being on a different continent and at very high altitude, I would think it prudent for me to wait for a solid RB turbo BASE tune that is finalized by Terry to start with.
+1 Agreed
(#1493)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM

yes, the majority of people that want these, and want a tune ready to go, and they can wait. but i know for a fact there are at least 10 that want the upgraded hardware and are willing to help out because logic tells us that:

1. lesser upgraded parts have shown improvement
2. people are willing to shell out more $$ for less of an upgrade
3. a MAJOR selling factor for these is just th WG improvement, where as others are going to suffer eventually, with or without upgraded wheels

you may be in the group that wants a PnP ready to go. i just want the hardware and willing to put in extra effort to help move things along.

if the hardware works and does NOT need adjusting in any way from what he currently has, then 2 months from now here are the 2 scenarios:

1. RB has batches ready to go, T has maps ready for use. these turbo's make XXXRWHP @ 6800RPM and we are all waiting for ours at the same time, in July

2. RB already has the first batch sent to knowing consumers, accepting responsability for the first couple sets. those people helped with logging, these turbo's make XXXRWHP @ 6800RPM, and now the rest of the public knows what to expect, with people at different mod levels showing what they can do..

so tell me, what changed. you may want to wait, bu to me, the end is the same, today or 2 months from now
(#1494)
Old
Band

Default 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
in for the first 7. Who Else?

1. DaleM
2. LostMarine
That's a buddy for ya, LOL!

Vae Victis!

(#1495)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 02:24 PM

A true Blue Falcon all the way huh
(#1496)
Old
Band

Default 05-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
A true Blue Falcon all the way huh
Has Rob mentioned prices and or availability? A month or so is what I think I read. Is this a psuedo group buy, investment opportunity, or a feeler to see if his effort was worth it all?

Vae Victis!

(#1497)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
yes, the majority of people that want these, and want a tune ready to go, and they can wait. but i know for a fact there are at least 10 that want the upgraded hardware and are willing to help out because logic tells us that:

3. a MAJOR selling factor for these is just th WG improvement, where as others are going to suffer eventually, with or without upgraded wheels

you may be in the group that wants a PnP ready to go. i just want the hardware and willing to put in extra effort to help move things along.

if the hardware works and does NOT need adjusting in any way from what he currently has, then 2 months from now here are the 2 scenarios:

1. RB has batches ready to go, T has maps ready for use. these turbo's make XXXRWHP @ 6800RPM and we are all waiting for ours at the same time, in July

2. RB already has the first batch sent to knowing consumers, accepting responsability for the first couple sets. those people helped with logging, these turbo's make XXXRWHP @ 6800RPM, and now the rest of the public knows what to expect, with people at different mod levels showing what they can do..

so tell me, what changed. you may want to wait, bu to me, the end is the same, today or 2 months from now
I did not know others already received there turbos, and I thought for sure you would have been one of the first ones to get one,

So why didn't you get one?
(#1498)
Old

Default 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM

he did not release any and i didn't, thats my point.. its **if he did get the sets out to a select few**
(#1499)
Old
maniac

Default 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM

then maybe rob should make a few sets right now for certain knowlegeable buyers....
I just hope he can do this while not slowing down his current testing and tuning progress.

IMHO, the fact that lost marine and possibly others are will to buy right now is a testemant to the trust rob and his work has created.

Either way - good stuff !

Quote:

(#1500)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-09-2010, 03:12 PM

One thing is for certain, if these do not make more power no other stock housing upgraded turbos will (or there is some gremlin in my car).

But, Im all for waiting and would rather do it as such.

My 7+ option was only to settle some of you down Those who would consider getting in now, pricing is as always, $2800ish (def. no more than $3k intro MSRP) with the full WG upgrade (which is standard). Keep in mind, these exact same units (minus alot of R&D and installability refinement IMHO) are around $7k shipped to the states from another vendor.

I just took it for another few pulls and even with great ambient temps, I am feeling a "hiccup" (but thats not always present) and then a very large loss of power. Terry says its a lil KR but it feels like a ton of KR to me. IATs climb to the 150* range with a 50* ambient temp... at around 15psi from a low speed pull to the top of 2nd/middle of 3rd. It seems hopeless to me to keep moving forward right now (unless I back off the tune to a lower the tune output which is pointless as well). It seems to me that the DME really hates high IATs, and is going to shut it down after 140*ish, but that could be unfounded.

That said I just want to get mods on the car, and go from there. My last update spoke more about whats going on from there.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM
That's a buddy for ya, LOL!