N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 330e
Default Will AFR via OBD2 still be accurate when using a piggyback system? - 05-17-2018, 12:32 PM

I have a B48 but I guess this forum is okay still.

My question is whether the AFR levels that can be read in real time through the OBD2 with apps like Dashcommand and Torque will still show the correct information even though signals like boost or fuel have been "tampered with" through JB4 or similar piggyback systems?

Thank you in advance for any replies and comments!
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Depends on the piggyback and how its programmed. But generally speaking, will be accurate.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain
I have a B48 but I guess this forum is okay still.

My question is whether the AFR levels that can be read in real time through the OBD2 with apps like Dashcommand and Torque will still show the correct information even though signals like boost or fuel have been "tampered with" through JB4 or similar piggyback systems?

Thank you in advance for any replies and comments!
If you have those plugged into the obd 2 port the Jb4 will not be using canbus for tuning. So in that case all your readings will be normal. I would just advise to get a data cable to log your car.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 05-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
If you have those plugged into the obd 2 port the Jb4 will not be using canbus for tuning. So in that case all your readings will be normal. I would just advise to get a data cable to log your car.
I'm planning on buying the JB4 with the bluetooth add-on, that will give me these readings on the phone right?

So when I get that this question won't be as relevant I guess, but at the moment I have a piggyback from another company (non-configurable except for switching maps), so I was curious to see what that is actually doing with regards to AFR since the car has thrown a few "too lean" error codes on the map with the highest power. I was thinking it could be interesting to get a data log similar to the ones people throw up from the JB4 with the same parameters, and compare, since their tune and different maps have been dynoed.

So it could be an interesting baseline for when I get the JB4 for what to do (or maybe not do), and what it will probably do in terms of power.
(#5)
Old

Default 05-18-2018, 03:56 AM

I've now been able to log a run via an OBD2 reader and format both a log file and a graph relatively similar to what people typically upload from the JB4. It includes rpm/pedal/throttle/ecu boost/afr/ignition timing advance.

Not sure on the rules of this forum. This is not logged by the JB4, and the piggyback system isn't JB4 either. Am I allowed to upload this data in this section of the forum for someone to review? I don't expect BMS people to spend time giving feedback on it, but perhaps others will?

The piggyback system isn't configurable, so it's not about going back and forth and dialing it in, just getting some feedback on how it looks.
(#6)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 05-18-2018, 06:59 AM

Sure, post it up. We're always curious.

You can use data zap for non-JB4 logs.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#7)
Old

Car: 335xi coupe
Default 05-18-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Sure, post it up. We're always curious.

You can use data zap for non-JB4 logs.
You can use datazap for JB4 logs too

BSM 340i xDrive (6MT, M-Sport, etc)
---
datazap.me
(#8)
Old

Default 05-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Cool. So this is from a B48 330e running Map4 from a european piggyback system (not mentioning the name since I have no idea if that's okay in this forum) which on this map gives about 288hp system power, about 227hp from the B48.

The log is from 3rd + 4th gear starting at around 2k in 3rd.

The boost in the graph and log is from the ECU, so it's not actual boost. Not sure how much they are adding in this particular map, probably around 4psi.

included the JB4ish parameters as a CSV.

Also including two graphs, one with 30 on the y-axis (easier to see the afr) and one with 90 on the y-axis so throttle/pedal is also visible.

My interpretation of this is that the AFR is quite lean, but based on the readout from the OBD2, the ECU is actually targeting around 14.5-14.6 even at close to full throttle and high RPMs. Interested in some confirmation that this is actually okay on this platform even on a moderately tuned setup. As far as I understand the ignition advance timing readout looks okay too.

Would appreciate second opinions on this
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv VT-map4-2018-05-18-0919-3rd-4th-gear-B48-330e.csv (2 Bytes, 60 views)
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Sorry not interested in providing any assistance for non-JB4 systems.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#10)
Old

Default 05-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Sorry not interested in providing any assistance for non-JB4 systems.
That is fair enough. Allthough if this actually looks too lean, my solution to that problem would probably be to buy JB4

But as I wrote earlier, I'm not expecting you guys to spend time supporting non-JB4 systems - but perhaps someone else reading the forums have some input