N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#101)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
We opted a no drill PNP style bracket system. Out of the few hundred we have sold, that's the first issue I've heard about the bracket being loose.
Sounds like you found and easy fix for it.

Not sure on the fender liner stuff, it's not a sealed piece. Air will go through it
no matter what and you'll have increased performance over stock.
Not sure if it's the same on all cars, but on this one the tab that sticks down for the lower clamp on the outside is longer than the one on the inside. Either that caused the instability or a spot weld was thicker in one spot causing it to not seat properly.

I also noticed that the top bracket had a notch machined out of it, but there was nothing on the rail that would interfere there.

Also 1 quart of fluid seemed way too much. I got about maybe half to 2/3rds of a quart, though I didn't have much leak out when I pulled the heat exchanger.

Also of interest, this cooler is much taller than the fill plug on the transmission. I'm guessing this may complicate things.

I injected around half a quart of oil into the trans cooler once it was in place before it started spilling out. Then I went to fill via the trans drain plug and it started pouring out quite rapidly.

Once I'm ready to start the car again, I plan on lowering the trans cooler and letting it warm up and circulate fluid. I'll then do the standard fill procedure via the fill plug so that it's just slowly dripping out. Thoughts on this?

2010 335ix - speedtech 6466g2, cams, ported head, built bottom end, 7.5in hd ic, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, upgraded 6hp21+cooler, pr coils
(#102)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
Not sure if it's the same on all cars, but on this one the tab that sticks down for the lower clamp on the outside is longer than the one on the inside. Either that caused the instability or a spot weld was thicker in one spot causing it to not seat properly.

I also noticed that the top bracket had a notch machined out of it, but there was nothing on the rail that would interfere there.

Also 1 quart of fluid seemed way too much. I got about maybe half to 2/3rds of a quart, though I didn't have much leak out when I pulled the heat exchanger.

Also of interest, this cooler is much taller than the fill plug on the transmission. I'm guessing this may complicate things.

I injected around half a quart of oil into the trans cooler once it was in place before it started spilling out. Then I went to fill via the trans drain plug and it started pouring out quite rapidly.

Once I'm ready to start the car again, I plan on lowering the trans cooler and letting it warm up and circulate fluid. I'll then do the standard fill procedure via the fill plug so that it's just slowly dripping out. Thoughts on this?
Yes, the tab where it sticks down is where we clamp to. That's the normal location.

The top notch should be where the frame has a weld seam.

Adding fluid will depend on how much was leaked etc, our 1qt is just an estimate and a minimum amount for purchase lol. Fill plug being under the cooler has nothing to do with it, it's a full pressurized system. You should just fill fluid just like the manual states.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#103)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 09-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Yes, the tab where it sticks down is where we clamp to. That's the normal location.

The top notch should be where the frame has a weld seam.

Adding fluid will depend on how much was leaked etc, our 1qt is just an estimate and a minimum amount for purchase lol. Fill plug being under the cooler has nothing to do with it, it's a full pressurized system. You should just fill fluid just like the manual states.
So you're saying gravity will not cause the fluid from the cooler to drain down into the trans/pan? Seems a bit counter intuitive unless I'm missing something.

2010 335ix - speedtech 6466g2, cams, ported head, built bottom end, 7.5in hd ic, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, upgraded 6hp21+cooler, pr coils
(#104)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
So you're saying gravity will not cause the fluid from the cooler to drain down into the trans/pan? Seems a bit counter intuitive unless I'm missing something.
When the car is not running it will. You need to fill the transmission when the car is on.

While the car is on and running on the lift, you will put the car in different gears.
Add oil to the trans as needed until you see it leaking. That's when it's full.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#105)
Old

Car: future 335i
Default 10-15-2019, 05:02 AM

What is the minimum trans fluid temperature that we would want before wide open throttle or racing situations?
I installed the BMS trans cooler kit this past May. The kit is awesome and it definitely worked great this summer. Here in the south east I hardly saw 160 degree trans temps during mid 80's and 90 + degree weather.

Now that Fall has begun I took the car out the other evening with ambient temps around 55 degrees. It took almost 30-40 minutes just to get the trans fluid to 120 degrees. Is 120 degree trans fluid enough to enjoy the car or will I need to block vents / install thermostat for colder months? Besides the cooler temps my transmission has been super happy since installing this kit on a MMP s3 / full e85 / PI e92.
(#106)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC-5.56
What is the minimum trans fluid temperature that we would want before wide open throttle or racing situations?
I installed the BMS trans cooler kit this past May. The kit is awesome and it definitely worked great this summer. Here in the south east I hardly saw 160 degree trans temps during mid 80's and 90 + degree weather.

Now that Fall has begun I took the car out the other evening with ambient temps around 55 degrees. It took almost 30-40 minutes just to get the trans fluid to 120 degrees. Is 120 degree trans fluid enough to enjoy the car or will I need to block vents / install thermostat for colder months? Besides the cooler temps my transmission has been super happy since installing this kit on a MMP s3 / full e85 / PI e92.
120* is fine to start playing with it.

Burger Motorsports