N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
JackBurton

Car: 08 E92 335xi
Default BEF Question with New Fuel Injectors - 05-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Hey everybody,

Easy question. Does coding in new fuel injectors require an adjustment to an existing custom BEF?

Background: I have two custom BEFs. One for E60 and one for 93 pump. Recently had to replace all 6 fuel injectors to index 12. My installer coded the injectors and everything worked great. This was on the 93 pump BEF.

Yesterday, I flashed my E60 BEF and mixed in the appropriate amount of E85. Immediately upon startup the car was running rough at idle and misfiring when trying to drive. Almost like if my ECU reverted back to the coding for the old injectors. After about twenty minutes things smoothed out and the vehicle was drivable but Iím hesitant to give it any throttle until this is figured out. Iím under the impression the BEF does not overwrite fuel injector coding.
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-18-2019, 12:56 PM

The values in the DME are absolute. The two numbers that you code with the injectors are basically how much they flow and at what voltage (they are piezoelectric) based on being testing done during manufacturing. That variation is applied to the absolute requests when controlling the injector. The coding should not be overwritten by re-flashing.

When you flash it does not change any system adaptations saved either. If you made a big change to BEF and the fuel being used, the car probably just needed some time to re-adapt. That would be my guess especially if it sorted out after some normal driving. Some of the JB4 variables like FOL might need to adjust also.

If you want to take some logs during normal driving, or a map 4 run to be safe, we could take a look.