N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Oner

Car: 08' 135i
Default Spark plugs won't pull out... - 12-03-2017, 04:23 PM

Hi guys,

I can't seem to figure out what the issue is...I am removing my spark plugs, and I got the spark plugs loosened and everything but they won't pull out? I am using the thin walled, magnetic socket, but either the magnet isn't strong enough to pull the plug out or the plug is not fully loosened, etc.

I fully loosened the plug, I even re-torqued it, and then tried again. The wrench spins with no friction, so I assume the plug is fully loosened. My socket seems good, I put the new plug in it and it fits and the magnet works, so I am at a loss.

Anyone experience this issue? I am having issues with all 6 plugs, so my guess is this is some sort of user or tool error. Only thought could be that my extension is too thick to allow the socket to get fully on the plug, because I had to link two extensions together. But if this were the case, im not sure I would be able to fully loosen and tighten it.

I appreciate the help!

2008 BMW 135i - 6spd - Sport Pkg
My build blog: http://www.bmwn54tuners.com
BMS DCI | JB4 |BMS Cowls | Matte Black Grills | +more to come
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Not sure what the issue is with the old plugs but you should use the coil rubber to catch the old spark plug and then pull them out. Since the tool works with the new spark plugs then you should have no issue with the installation of the new ones.

(#3)
Old
Oner

Default 12-03-2017, 05:41 PM

I'm an idiot...didn't realize how much you have to turn these things to get them out! Thread is extremely long...just had to keep turning it lol

On another note, I fired the car up and it did not sound good and smelled pretty bad too.

(#4)
Old
Oner

Default 12-03-2017, 06:10 PM

The CEL kicks on immediately upon starting it. I pulled the cover off and it looks like 2 of the tabs on the iginition coils didnt stay fully closed, would this cause something like this?

(#5)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM35
The CEL kicks on immediately upon starting it. I pulled the cover off and it looks like 2 of the tabs on the iginition coils didnt stay fully closed, would this cause something like this?

Yes the coil boots need to be pushed all the way down. You may notice they have a triangular point. Make sure that lines up with the valve cover tabs.

Now that the coils are seated all the way down, make sure the connectors are pushed in all the way and the locking tabs went from 90 to 0 where it is all the way flat. As you push the locking tabs down, the connector tends to seat into the coil.