N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 04-12-2016, 04:07 AM

Beware of breaking the drives haft apart.. atleast on the 1 series they are not rebuild able and not interchangable... vibrations will no doubt be a problem if u don't have it balanced after ur customizations... gl
(#27)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbacusRacingN54
Beware of breaking the drives haft apart.. atleast on the 1 series they are not rebuild able and not interchangable... vibrations will no doubt be a problem if u don't have it balanced after ur customizations... gl
Whether hybrid or custom the driveshaft will be balanced before install.

From what I have seen on the E6X shafts: the guide bearing is pressed onto the end of the first shaft 1/2 which then the front and rear 1/2s connect in male-female manner and can be separated after the 18mm bolt is removed from inside the yolk. AFAIK the shaft 1/2s should be interchangeable assuming the diameters of the male-female marriage are the same. Bearing can be pulled/pressed and replaced.

Am I missing something? What exactly did you mean about rebuildable and interchangeable?

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#28)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default M5 rear end swap - 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM

Evan,thank how for that break down. It defiantly looks like there is a ton of work involved. I knew about the flanges being beefed,if those outward spines are larger on the halfshafts,then ya,the hubs will need to be changed. So it looks like its all bolt in except for the driveshaft. That may be a cut,weld and balance,your driveshaft should be a direct bolt in if your going with the m5 gear box and diff. I'm keeping up with your built
(#29)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 04-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Whether hybrid or custom the driveshaft will be balanced before install.

From what I have seen on the E6X shafts: the guide bearing is pressed onto the end of the first shaft 1/2 which then the front and rear 1/2s connect in male-female manner and can be separated after the 18mm bolt is removed from inside the yolk. AFAIK the shaft 1/2s should be interchangeable assuming the diameters of the male-female marriage are the same. Bearing can be pulled/pressed and replaced.

Am I missing something? What exactly did you mean about rebuildable and interchangeable?

Evan
U can't buy the center bearing from bmw...it's a new driveshaft...
As for interchangable I meant taking two driveshafts and splitting and reconnecting for lengths.. ran into issues going from 135 to 335 for strength..
In theory 535 may be differant but ur essentially doing same thing..
We made it work at the track physically but it did vibrate
(#30)
Old

Car: 2010 e92 335i msport
Default 04-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Those headlights! I'm in love!

I wish I had the confidence and knowledge to retrofit...
(#31)
Old

Default 04-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbacusRacingN54
U can't buy the center bearing from bmw...it's a new driveshaft...
As for interchangable I meant taking two driveshafts and splitting and reconnecting for lengths.. ran into issues going from 135 to 335 for strength..
In theory 535 may be differant but ur essentially doing same thing..
We made it work at the track physically but it did vibrate
How hard did you look?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/26122282572/

What exactly was the issue when trying to mate the two ends? Most of the driveshafts I have seen seem to join the same way so if the inner and outer diameters matched up then there shouldn't be an issue sliding the 2 halfs together. Was there another variable with your E8X/E9X hybrid setup or was it simply different diameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd
Those headlights! I'm in love!

I wish I had the confidence and knowledge to retrofit...
Thanks! If you have money you could always just pay someone to do it for you!

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#32)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM

I followed your 7" IC install thread. I got to looking at the 2.5" aluminum elbow coming up from the outlet of IC to the CP. Did a 3" elbow not fit and that's why you went with 2.5"?

2009 535i M-SPORT AT
JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, E85 BEF ON 100% E85, VRSF **'S, 7" VRSF IC, VRSF CP W/ TIAL BOV, MMP Inlets & Outlets, TBI & Stage 2 LPFP,1792s in for 2nd cats, Potenza RE-11's
(#33)
Old

Default 04-14-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylGarland
I followed your 7" IC install thread. I got to looking at the 2.5" aluminum elbow coming up from the outlet of IC to the CP. Did a 3" elbow not fit and that's why you went with 2.5"?
My ER CP had a 2.5" inlet which expanded to 3" prior to the throttle body so it made sense to keep it 2.5"

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#34)
Old

Default 04-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Draining ATF. I have the smell of ATF!

Rotating engine to get access to the torque converter bolts, turning the engine kind of sounded like a rock tumbler!

This little orange slice fell out while turning the engine, lol

Risky business, do not try at home.

Unbolting bell housing, thought I could be clever and access the torx bolt from the top with a wrench....

...and my trusty Thompson seatpost.

Well that didn't work, started to strip the bolt so jumped shipped, dropped the trans down and with the help of my neighbor, was able to navigate the socket and clusterfvck of extensions onto the bolt while I broke it free from underneath the wagon

A little tricky guessing where to position the trans jack on this beast of a 6AT+TC, the transfer case ended up being heavier than I thought but it was balanced well enough I didn't run into any real problems. As I was pulling the AT off I noticed the torque converter was staying attached to the block, the Bentley manual said you should NOT allow this to happen. It turns out I only removed 4 of the 6 torque converter bolts, the Bentley manual never specified the amount of bolts that needed removal and the photo only showed 4. Shame on Bentley for not being more detailed with instructions and shame on me for not being more thorough!

I ran tie down between the subframe for added security, sliding a huge heavy trans off the engine while you are laying on the ground right next to it is quite exhilarating.

The beast is out, or should I say the malignant tumor has been removed.

#WeightSavings

Beauty and the Beast

I did some "testing" to check the weight of the two units. 6MT has fluid, 6AT does not but TC does. I know the the 6MT weighs about 97lbs and based off that I would sat the 6AT+TC must be around 185-195lbs, essentially twice the weight.

Can't wait to drive a manual

Front

SO much larger
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hpOV8UwYr4E/VxByWlWf-rI/AAAAAAAAnqc/wN7Keq1xZZYLWMw***Zx8Y2-feKjhSVIQCCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_6118.JPG[/IMG]

Something new to sort through. The 6MT I sourced was from a 335i, the bracket closer to the camera is what arrived on the 335i trans, the bracket behind it is intended for a manual 535i and 550i, the top mounting holes are too wide for my trans so I will have to look into where I went wrong and see if it can be resolved or if I will need a custom bracket to mount the trans to the main trans support.

Took the driveshafts apart to see if a hybrid shaft was possible

NO, it is not

LEFT: Non-M RIGHT: M5

535(x)i

M5

So yolked bro!

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#35)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
My ER CP had a 2.5" inlet which expanded to 3" prior to the throttle body so it made sense to keep it 2.5"
Got ya. I've got the VRSF CP and it's 3" so I think I'm going to try to get a 3" in there for a little better flow. Just making sure it wasn't something you've already tried. I probably should have put this in that thread. Sorry.

2009 535i M-SPORT AT
JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, E85 BEF ON 100% E85, VRSF **'S, 7" VRSF IC, VRSF CP W/ TIAL BOV, MMP Inlets & Outlets, TBI & Stage 2 LPFP,1792s in for 2nd cats, Potenza RE-11's
(#36)
Old

Default 04-15-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylGarland
Got ya. I've got the VRSF CP and it's 3" so I think I'm going to try to get a 3" in there for a little better flow. Just making sure it wasn't something you've already tried. I probably should have put this in that thread. Sorry.
No worries.

If my CP was a legit 3" I would run a 3" up pipe as well.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#37)
Old

Default 04-16-2016, 08:38 PM

The M5 LSD needed some modification and after testing fitting it with my exhaust and pull rods I knew what to cut off. It was a balance of removing enough material for adequate clearance, with leaving as much as possible for cooling, while making it look as good as possible. I am pretty happy how it came out.

Evan

Oem M5 heatsink

...aaaaaaaand it's GONE!

Pretty hacked up after the cutting

After some more grinding and sanding

535xi and M5 top, modded M5 bottom

Prepped the axles for install, the threads had been hit with some anti-rust coating which needed to be cleaned

Had to pull out the motor for the telescoping wheel function, the bolts were very hard to reach and I am not looking to putting them back in.

Paddle shift steering wheel and control module removed along with the console and electronic gear selector.

Hole punched out for manual shifter

Didn't have the special tool to lock the flywheel/starter in place while the FW bolts are removed so this was my solution.

One hurdle to clear will be the transmission support and bracket. According to RealOem I have compatible part numbers but that is not the reality, the mounting points for where the bracket connects to the trans are different since my trans was sourced from an e9X 335i. The E6X support, bracket, and bushing combo is monstrous compared to the E9X setup. I really like the design of the E6X bushings where it allows the upper bracket to reside inside the bushing, it makes a lot of sense and IMO the design better suited for high torque than the 335i mount.

My goal is to use the E60 support and either modify the top bracket have one made to make the mounting locations work. Not sure which direction to go yet.

Bare trans

Trans with 335i bracket (holes align)

535i bracket (improper fit)

E6X vx E9X

Showing how the E6x bracket feet mount inside the bushings

Bushing (bearing) comparison

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#38)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Nice!!! I like it, very good mods
(#39)
Old

Default 04-19-2016, 08:01 PM

Hi,looks like your moving along. What did you come up with for the driveshaft? Did you find out what you can use from what? The rear cover looks great cut and polished,and those pedals are awesome. What's going in for a motor? It's all lookin good,I give It to ya,you know your ****!��
(#40)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davincis
Nice!!! I like it, very good mods
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Hi,looks like your moving along. What did you come up with for the driveshaft? Did you find out what you can use from what? The rear cover looks great cut and polished,and those pedals are awesome. What's going in for a motor? It's all lookin good,I give It to ya,you know your ****!��
N54 will be going back in. For the driveshaft the 535i and M5 are not compatible so the M5 shaft will be modified to fit my unique engine/trans/LSD combo.

Evan

----------------------------------------

I ended up making a tool to remove the rear differential bushings, part Habor Freight wheel bearing tool, part Home Depot hardware, part 36mm socket I have for the axle nuts. The 36mm socket was a great fit for the front bushings.

Bushings out

Oem vs MFactory Solid (rubber)

Bushings in

M5 axles in

Look how close the outer CV joint is to the wheel carrier!

My test fitting and eye balling suggested fitment would be tight but I didn't think it would be THIS tight! Clearance is literally 1-2mm
If it fits it fits!

LSD, the traction drug

Test fitting pull rods with the modified LSD heatsink.

Looking good

Exhaust should clear no problem

Cleaned up more heat shield

...and my RD Sport sways

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#41)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 04-24-2016, 11:42 AM

Do you have any concerns with the M5 rear gearing (3.62) and the lower manual 6th gear ratio?

I was contemplating deleting my X-drive and swapping to RWD front hubs to open up suspension options and also getting the M5 diff but my car is already a manual and the jump from the factory 3.08 ratio to 3.62 ratio is deterring me. I like the fairly low cruising RPM and since these engines can make a boat load of torque am not convinced the necessity of the increased gearing.

I guess I'll let you be the guinea pig and judging from your threads you'll have a good review of your impressions after the swap. I'd be very interested in 6th gear RPM at 75 mph.
(#42)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
Do you have any concerns with the M5 rear gearing (3.62) and the lower manual 6th gear ratio?

I was contemplating deleting my X-drive and swapping to RWD front hubs to open up suspension options and also getting the M5 diff but my car is already a manual and the jump from the factory 3.08 ratio to 3.62 ratio is deterring me. I like the fairly low cruising RPM and since these engines can make a boat load of torque am not convinced the necessity of the increased gearing.

I guess I'll let you be the guinea pig and judging from your threads you'll have a good review of your impressions after the swap. I'd be very interested in 6th gear RPM at 75 mph.

Honestly, not really. If I had my choice it would be around 3.2 or something like that but considering the other advantageous of the M5 LSD (strength and traction) and the price relative to other LSD options it is worth giving it a shot in it's oem configuration.

I would usually drive my 6AT in 5th while on the highway at 75-80mph. There is slightly less drone and the turbos are much more responsive at 3,000rpm. I did some number crunching and the 3.62 at the same speed should be right around 3,100rpm in 6th so essentially what I already cruise at.

The other part of the puzzle is power delivery and the 3.62 will make traction more challenging and the frequent shifting with 3 pedals won't make me the fastest wagon but, it's all good, this build is about fun, not absolute speed. The performance should be pretty "hysterical" and I am happy to excercise my left foot.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#43)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 06:44 PM

Hi,that rear end America out awesome. So it looks like it was a direct bolt in with the m5 half shafts. Did you have to use the m5 bearings/ hubs? It's a nice clean install,great job
(#44)
Old

Default 04-24-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Hi,that rear end America out awesome. So it looks like it was a direct bolt in with the m5 half shafts. Did you have to use the m5 bearings/ hubs? It's a nice clean install,great job
Yes, the LSD is a "bolt on" but only in conjunction with M5 hubs, custom M5 driveshaft, guibo, trans output flange, rear differential bushing + hardware, and in my case modifying the LSD heat sink to accommodate my wagon's pull rods and exhaust. Not to be confused with "bolt on" where it is a direct swap.

It may be possible to swap LSD output shafts if you wanted to keep your non-M axles and hubs but I can not confirm, not sure why anyone would want to skimp on the drivetrain after already going for the LSD upgrade.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#45)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 04-27-2016, 06:19 AM

FYI in my 2010 535 X-drive manual I'm at 2600 rpm @ 75 mph in sixth gear with the stock 275/35/18 tire. Fifth is at 3000 rpm at the same speed.
(#46)
Old

Default 04-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
FYI in my 2010 535 X-drive manual I'm at 2600 rpm @ 75 mph in sixth gear with the stock 275/35/18 tire. Fifth is at 3000 rpm at the same speed.
Thanks for sharing, sounds similar to what my 6AT did.

I also run a 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 which is larger than "normal" and should help keep rpms more down.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#47)
Old

Default 05-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Bought a manual M5 steering wheel to replace my SMG unit with those silly paddle things. eBay find from a M5 with 72k, it was pretty dirty but cleaned up well.

Even though my E61 is more M5 than 535xi, I don't feel there is any need to have those "M" badges sprinkled throughout the car so, just as with my previous M5 wheel, I will run it with the non-M trim. I also happen to think it looks better.

I also snagged the rear aux panel from the center console, mine only had cigarette outlets so the aux input was a welcomed addition. The panel is also prepped for rear seat heater buttons which is nice since I plan to retrofit those down the road. My car was interestingly optioned with the ski pass and heated steering wheel but no "cold weather package" and ultimately no heated rear seats.

Evan

BEFORE

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gm76bcqb0cE/VyYv_2c996I/AAAAAAAAoTQ/zX8R2KgT3AIzE-_y0***GMXCvn7A0vxUgCCo/s800/IMG_6556.JPG[/IMG]

BEFORE/AFTER

AFTER

Aux Panel

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#48)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 05-01-2016, 09:03 PM

love ur posts!

excellent

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#49)
Old

Default 05-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Here is one of the "detail" mods I finally got around to installing. I purchased a rear door handle insert for my driver door which functionally is a key-hole delete. It worked out as I had hoped, there was no fitment issues and the actual locking cylinder didn't need to be removed, the cover simply sat on top of it.

CLEAN!

Evan

Before

After

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#50)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-02-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Bought a manual M5 steering wheel to replace my SMG unit with those silly paddle things. eBay find from a M5 with 72k, it was pretty dirty but cleaned up well.
Wow, that wheel turned out really well with some elbow grease! What product did you use?