N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E36/7 and E93
Default Oil Thermostat Cover Leak - What Seal/Gasket to Use? - 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM

I am installing a replacement engine in my E93 and I noticed the thermostat cover on the oil filter housing is leaking. I already bought the 2 profile gaskets for it, but I can't find the seal for the oil thermostat cap. I think BMW wants to sell the whole assembly only. I have the 11427573212 housing.

I know Burger Tuning sells replacement billet caps. But I didn't see any gaskets.

I did find a cover kit from FTP Motorsports that includes a seal.

Use a big O ring?

Help
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 02-04-2019, 09:54 AM

For the billet caps we supply O rings. For the thermostat lid we don't, you can use bit of RTV.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Thanks. I was hoping for different answer.
FWIW... In case this comes up again...

I use this stuff for that purpose. Unlike normal RTV, it never breaks down.

Ford Motorcraft RTV Silicone Sealant TA-31

It is specially formulated for use with diesel contaminated oil and survives under extreme conditions. I use it on bed plates for example.

Cheers!
(#4)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 02-04-2019, 02:18 PM

If youre taking off the OFH, then I would take take the part to the hardware store and try various sizes of o-rings. Push/stretch them into place and make sure some rubber is protruding from the channel so when you put the cap on, it will compress the o-ring thus making a seal. Use nitrile or even better: viton ones. You can go to harbor freight and get an assortment of viton o-rings for $10. Fastenal also sells an o-ring assortment but it was like $100...

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Thanks. I am thinking I will try the O ring idea before gluing with sealant.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperz
Thanks. I am thinking I will try the O ring idea before gluing with sealant.
O ring will work if you find the size, the will form to that shape.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 02-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
O ring will work if you find the size, the will form to that shape.
If the kit BMS sells has an o-ring in it, then would you might sharing the o-ring size?

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
If the kit BMS sells has an o-ring in it, then would you might sharing the o-ring size?
We don't or else I would lol.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 02-06-2019, 08:33 PM

BTW an O ring works great. I purchased a large Metric Buna (Nitrile) assortment from Harbor Freight (Viton set is too small) for about $8. There is a number 220 in the kit that works fine. It is a little tricky to get it to seat while the cover is attached, but once in place, it works great.

Hope this helps someone.
Cheers!