N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default fixing wastegate rattle, have a question - 09-06-2019, 10:32 PM

hi, so i'm done with replacing the bushing and flaps. i wanted to go ahead and replace both wastegates but it seems like they are not available for the e60. one is compatiable with the e90 i believe but the other is not.
nothing wrong with them but figured for $30/ea, why not. well since i couldnt replace them i was going to make sure theyre adjusted properly.
when checking the rear turbo it was off quite a bit (adjusting to 7in to closed), took about 5-6 turns to get it within spec. is this normal? i'm not very experienced with BMWs, mainly turbo toyotas, and those never require adjustment.
the other turbo was much better i think, only requiring about 2 turns.

second question is about my front turbo. the chra did not fully seat on the turbine side. there was a slight gap about the thickness of the heat shield behind the wheel. i tried my old one and it was the same way but without the heat shield it seated fine. turbine shaft was broken and wheels were off, thats how i was able to get the heat shield off.
the clamp is on and it seem fine but just weird that it doesnt fully seat like its supposed to. what do you think? i've emailed Vargas but have not heard back. hoping to get this resolved soon so i can get this car back together this weekend.

thanks for the help.
(#2)
Old

Default 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM

also, i took it apart not because of the rattle but because the nut holding the front turbo compressor wheel came off and caused the shaft to break. this damaged the seal sending oil directly into my exhaust and IC. i got about 3/4 qt of oil out of the IC.
after taking the turbos off i noticed that the rear turbo had also been leaking for a while. so much that the oil had burnt and solidified causing the turbine wheel to pretty much seize up.
this has been the most unreliable car we have ever had. currently have 4 toyotas which have between 100-315k miles, including my supra that has 215k and i beat on every chance i get. this BMW just decides to break down at any random time leaving you stranded each time.
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-07-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratreo
hi, so i'm done with replacing the bushing and flaps. i wanted to go ahead and replace both wastegates but it seems like they are not available for the e60. one is compatiable with the e90 i believe but the other is not.
nothing wrong with them but figured for $30/ea, why not. well since i couldnt replace them i was going to make sure theyre adjusted properly.
when checking the rear turbo it was off quite a bit (adjusting to 7in to closed), took about 5-6 turns to get it within spec. is this normal? i'm not very experienced with BMWs, mainly turbo toyotas, and those never require adjustment.
the other turbo was much better i think, only requiring about 2 turns.

second question is about my front turbo. the chra did not fully seat on the turbine side. there was a slight gap about the thickness of the heat shield behind the wheel. i tried my old one and it was the same way but without the heat shield it seated fine. turbine shaft was broken and wheels were off, thats how i was able to get the heat shield off.
the clamp is on and it seem fine but just weird that it doesnt fully seat like its supposed to. what do you think? i've emailed Vargas but have not heard back. hoping to get this resolved soon so i can get this car back together this weekend.

thanks for the help.
You have left out some information. Why contact Vargas ? Vtt product ? If so, which ? Mileage ? Etc
Possible install error since chra ?
(#4)
Old

Default 09-07-2019, 09:03 AM

VTT = vargas turbo technologies.
car has 175k on it.
CHRA can only be installed one way. theres a pin on the hot side that lines up with a hole in the turbine housing. same for the compressor side.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 09-10-2019, 11:14 AM

I have a 535 also, I bought all my turbo kits from Mamba turbo, very good quality. The wastegates are all the same, the rear accuators are different. There’s a lot of cheap waste gate parts. The only kit if you want piece of mind, is the upgraded set from RB.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-20-2019, 06:59 PM

thank you. looks like the only difference on the rear actuator is the bracket. you might be able to just swap brackets but i just went ahead and kept my old ones. just got it running today. going to drive it and hope all is good.