N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3651)
Old

Default 11-24-2011, 05:57 PM

My appologies I wasnt very clear with what I wanted. I have a 6AT so the bouncing rev limiter doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to tell the trans. to shift sooner than the red line if I don't shift it myself.

Also the ability to have a user adjustable setting for the throttle position of stealth gauges. Setting it at 50 or 80 whatever it is isn't as useful as having it be adjustable.
(#3652)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-25-2011, 01:40 AM

Hi Terry had the jb4 for a while now and it's time for another BMS upgrade, I was hoping you might have a black Friday special on the boot meth kit
(#3653)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 11-25-2011, 05:38 AM

I have a request for the next JB4 update Terry - is there anyway to deactivate the headlight washers when the headlights are left in the Auto position?

I've purged my system on the fly a few times forgetting my headlight washers are spraying meth all over my car!
(#3654)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
I have a request for the next JB4 update Terry - is there anyway to deactivate the headlight washers when the headlights are left in the Auto position?

I've purged my system on the fly a few times forgetting my headlight washers are spraying meth all over my car!
If I remember correctly, they are activated by pressure from the pump on the reservoir. I would crimp them like when they do the golf tee mod or disconnect the hose and plug it.

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#3655)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc
Hi Terry had the jb4 for a while now and it's time for another BMS upgrade, I was hoping you might have a black Friday special on the boot meth kit
Nope, we don't do black Friday sales. Sorry.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3656)
Old

Car: 09 135i 6MT
Send a message via Yahoo to mnst3r
Default 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM

After reading some of the posts in this thread I realized that some people are getting away from what the JB4 is designed for. It is to control the N54 and not to code the car for other functions. Thread is cluttered with alot of useless chatter.

Sorry for the mini rant, BTW terry can you have the JB4 tell my car to spit money out of the exhaust when I'm at WOT??

BTW the above money comment was a joke!!! Incase some ppl don't really read entire comments...

If anyone has questions see page one of this thread.

09 135i 6MT JB4, DCI, CM MethKit, Stett CP w/ Tial bov, MT ST ET, CPE DP's and Axleback Exhaust
12.07@ 113.94 1.7 60' on 9/03/11 "Fastest 135i in Alaska"
(#3657)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Anything important I copy to the first post anyone. So it's fine to use this thread for chatter, etc. Not looking to get in to coding items but if we can easily add some feature that users find value in I don't mind doing that. The problem is many potentially great features are not technically possible.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3658)
Old

Car: 335i sport touring
Default 11-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu
being able to bounce on the rev limiter would be useful in some rare track scenarios, no?
Yeah I agree here. nothing worse than it jumping up a gear when you are quite happily spinning and doing nice doughnuts
(#3659)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2011, 05:53 PM

FYI in the next firmware version we'll set it up so that FutureUseD = 100 programs the JB4 to use water temp instead of oil temp for warmup protection. Not suggested, but it will be there for those who want it.

Burger Motorsports

(#3660)
Old
IXLR8

Car: 335xi
Default 11-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Terry,
Thanks for your help and patience with your product and some of our rediculous requests. I can only say THANK YOU for and amazing product! I am sure that the majority of us have seen the " send a trouble report to microsoft" message. That message goes into a bottomless tank, I know, because I deal with them directly and have been told such. Happy Holiday's and keep up the awesome work.
(#3661)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Wink 11-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Guys, us 5 series drivers are left out in the cold with no oil temp gauge. No way to hijack either. So we are flying blind here. This mod is to help us be aware when JB4 is engaged. Until oil hits 160 we are sucking major hog tit, and no way to know when we can get on the power.

Maybe BMW figured 5 series is for old farts who tool around at 55 mph. We are trying to get a little help from Terry, just a split second wink really to know when JB4 is awake.
Have some compassion for the guys with a cane and sunglasses trying to cross the road.
+10000000000

Amen Brother !!

Anything to help us 5'ers

No canes yet, farts yes
(#3662)
Old

Car: e90
Default 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.kodra
Terry,
Thanks for your help and patience with your product and some of our rediculous requests. I can only say THANK YOU for and amazing product! I am sure that the majority of us have seen the " send a trouble report to microsoft" message. That message goes into a bottomless tank, I know, because I deal with them directly and have been told such. Happy Holiday's and keep up the awesome work.
Not that it matters, but that is wholy untrue in regards to Microsoft...that data is used to identify trends and specific issues, and has resulted in new product features, bug fixes, and documentation improvements. Yes, I work for Microsoft .
(#3663)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootay
Not that it matters, but that is wholy untrue in regards to Microsoft...that data is used to identify trends and specific issues, and has resulted in new product features, bug fixes, and documentation improvements. Yes, I work for Microsoft .
+1

I used to work in MS product development and briefly even for the Windows team, the dr watson reports are used to improve stuff and give groups real user data.
(#3664)
Old

Default Noobie Question - 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I haven't seen a definite answer on this. I have read a lot of posts in the forum and I have watched the videos. So here goes.

When saving a selected option on the JB4 do I always have to go to speedo "0" for each item or can I go through all the speedo menus, select all the tach settings I want, then exit the system by going to speedo "0".

If I have a laptop connected, will the laptop tell me what the speedo/tach settings are? I see that the laptop can simulate the steering wheel controls, but when I tried this I didn't see any confirmation that I made any changes.

I have been trying to enable the gage sweep, but only managed to inadvertently change my gages to metric, throw my car into transport mode, and basically freak myself out :-)

I went back, reloaded the firmware and then loaded the defaults....which I am not sure what those are, but hopefully there is some documentation somewhere?

Speaking of comprehensive documentation, if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind compiling a living document that not only shows the menu system of selections, but also would include the default setting for each item, AND include an explanation of what this feature is/does. And I mean more information than what's included on the jpg image of the excel sheet. Being new to BMW and new to JB4 I have no clue what many of the items are on that sheet and would love a longer definition of what, why, and who would want to.

I'm sure all this information is available, but I always have to search the entire forum for it and I think it would make sense to compile everything into one document. Let me know if it is worth the effort and I will get started on it.
(#3665)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhayes
I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I haven't seen a definite answer on this. I have read a lot of posts in the forum and I have watched the videos. So here goes.

When saving a selected option on the JB4 do I always have to go to speedo "0" for each item or can I go through all the speedo menus, select all the tach settings I want, then exit the system by going to speedo "0".

If I have a laptop connected, will the laptop tell me what the speedo/tach settings are? I see that the laptop can simulate the steering wheel controls, but when I tried this I didn't see any confirmation that I made any changes.

I have been trying to enable the gage sweep, but only managed to inadvertently change my gages to metric, throw my car into transport mode, and basically freak myself out :-)

I went back, reloaded the firmware and then loaded the defaults....which I am not sure what those are, but hopefully there is some documentation somewhere?

Speaking of comprehensive documentation, if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind compiling a living document that not only shows the menu system of selections, but also would include the default setting for each item, AND include an explanation of what this feature is/does. And I mean more information than what's included on the jpg image of the excel sheet. Being new to BMW and new to JB4 I have no clue what many of the items are on that sheet and would love a longer definition of what, why, and who would want to.

I'm sure all this information is available, but I always have to search the entire forum for it and I think it would make sense to compile everything into one document. Let me know if it is worth the effort and I will get started on it.
Wheel controls can only be set via the wheel control menu. If you're picking random options you either don't have the dash calibrated properly (speedo isn't moving 10mph per click, for example), or are really misunderstanding a very simple process. Just watch the video in the first post and reference the guide cheat sheet.

Burger Motorsports

(#3666)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 11-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhayes

Kirk, you are not a douche and I agree with you. Learning how to operate JB4 is not quite as simple as most people assume. Finding instructions and updates etc. is a bit of a learning process for those of us who have never done this before.
I am still not sure what makes the wheel controls accept the menu choices. Sometimes it works, others I have to do it a few times. I think you are supposed to click the left button down to 0 after you set something. That's what I did for the gauge sweep. A bit confusing as the fear is that JB4 will activate a different command.
It was also not very evident to me how to load new firmware editions. The Hexfile was (almost) hidden at the end of a long thread, easy to miss if you don't know where to look. However once you get the hang of it these issues are fairly mundane, just a matter of how to organize the info better, and to communicate in a different manner. I think engineering types assume the rest of the world speaks their language and follow their logic. I work with a software company and the programmers are peculiar people. I am looking for a button to push and they go into this horrendously tortured, meandering explanation to describe source code logic. They lose me in the first sentence, the rest is a complete waste on me. I just stare at them with a puzzled look on my face wondering what planet they are from.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#3667)
Old

Default 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Wheel controls can only be set via the wheel control menu. If you're picking random options you either don't have the dash calibrated properly (speedo isn't moving 10mph per click, for example), or are really misunderstanding a very simple process. Just watch the video in the first post and reference the guide cheat sheet.
Thanks Terry, I have watched the video on the first post and the only selection made was map 1, everything else was just showing how to move around the menu system. Thus I still have the same query...when saving a selected option on the JB4 do I always have to go to speedo "0" to save each item or can I go through all the JB4 speedo menus, select all the tach settings I want, then exit the system by going to speedo "0".
(#3668)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM

As soon as the speedo moves to a new number the previous setting is saved.

Burger Motorsports

(#3669)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM

do you do custom mapS?
(#3670)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM

I have a crazy idea for a feature Terry.

As a way to protect the engine/turbos when the oil temp is cold, and to have a method for indicating when normal oper temps have been achieved:

Engage "Transport Mode" on a cold start.
Disengage "Transport mode" once either:
a) full throttle is detected
b) oil temp reaches set threshold.

Since there is a clear visual indication of this mode being active, and it would definitely protect the engine from being over-revved or overtaxing the turbos with cold oil.

Cheers
(#3671)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM

thats too intrusive.
You may be in a scenario where you need to get out fast regardless if the oil is up to temp.
Ie. Volcano pyroclastic cloud.
(#3672)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver
I have a crazy idea for a feature Terry.

As a way to protect the engine/turbos when the oil temp is cold, and to have a method for indicating when normal oper temps have been achieved:

Engage "Transport Mode" on a cold start.
Disengage "Transport mode" once either:
a) full throttle is detected
b) oil temp reaches set threshold.

Since there is a clear visual indication of this mode being active, and it would definitely protect the engine from being over-revved or overtaxing the turbos with cold oil.

Cheers
Transport mode is pretty rough. It gives full power then slams the throttle shut at 4500rpm. It can be useful in certain circumstances (e.g. lending out car) but I can't imagine wanting to leave it on for any length of time.

I had the idea of forcing a 3100 limp code, resulting in a zero boost/na mode, and then clearing it when oil temps warmed up. But decided the way we have it now providing OEM tuning until 160 was the best overall compromise. Now with the warm-up indicator even the 5 series guys who don't have an oil gauge can't complain too much.

Speaking of which, should we add an option for in dash oil gauge in place of MPG gauge for 5 series?

Burger Motorsports

(#3673)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM

What about displaying the "OK" like from when you're checking the condition of oil?
You know where it shows if you need to add a quart or not.

Chime would be useful too.
(#3674)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Speaking of which, should we add an option for in dash oil gauge in place of MPG gauge for 5 series?
Still waiting to see if the "indicator flash" is working on the 5 series.

That might be enough, but just waiting for the new firmware to come out.

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#3675)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerocious
thats too intrusive.
You may be in a scenario where you need to get out fast regardless if the oil is up to temp.
Ie. Volcano pyroclastic cloud.
That's why a full throttle situation would get you out of the "transport mode".