N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1951)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Auto tune map 5 was very smooth and conservative for my set up. Map 3 with meth is much more fun. Map 2 is strong on my car as well. Feels like map 7 to me.

Logging and interface with smart phone is a much desired feature. It's the only thing that jb4 lacks in my humble opinion.

JB4 15ohm w/ FSB & CM10, ETS-FMIC, Evolution Race Works charge pipe, Forge DVs, AR *********, Injen dual cones, DIY catch can-vent to atmosphere, Koni FSD,TSW Donnington 18's, Bridgestone Potenza 760 Sports.
(#1952)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Two votes for a JB4 map that matches JB3's map 7. While map 2 might qualitatively "feel" as strong, it doesn't put out the same hp as did 7. I've logged about a .15 sec difference between the two.
(#1953)
Old
Obsessed with his BMW

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Has anyone on Map 5 noticed a boost change after switching from another map? I switched to map 0 one morning on my way into work and back to Map 5 later in the day and it doesn't seem to pull as hard or produce as much boost.

Terry, when is the memory cleared for map 5?

One month ago when getting into it, my car would stay right at 14-15 psi, now its more like 12-14 psi and jumps around a lot more. I haven't switched gas still running 93. The only difference is ambient temp and maybe humidity. It's about 10 degrees warmer now (85ish).

In my case my car last month with bogfix at 100 on map 5 was much smoother than jb3 map 7 and felt more consistent

2014 335i M Sport: bootmod3 Stg 2, AA CP, CSF FMIC, GFB DV+, VRSF down-pipe, aFe stage 2 intake, KW Clubsport Coilovers, xHP Stage 3.
(#1954)
Old

Car: Blk '07 335i e92, 6MT, iForged 19's
Default 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilefitt
Auto tune map 5 was very smooth and conservative for my set up. Map 3 with meth is much more fun. Map 2 is strong on my car as well. Feels like map 7 to me.

Logging and interface with smart phone is a much desired feature. It's the only thing that jb4 lacks in my humble opinion.

agree with most everything... i have yet to install meth or any real supporting mods (i.e. DP's).
My DroidX would be a cool interface to the JB4...! I can see it now....

mobilefitt, you say "feels like map 7 to me", but i differ on that. I loved JB3 map7. I have yet to run anything besides JB4 5 since i see it has the saftey and potential to run higher boost than map2. i have not experienced JB3 7 performance yet... but i also see in your sig "JB4 15ohm"! (which is my plan also...)
(#1955)
Old
Obsessed with his BMW

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinscrewcaddy
but i also see in your sig "JB4 15ohm"! (which is my plan also...)
What is does the mod accomplish and how is it done?

2014 335i M Sport: bootmod3 Stg 2, AA CP, CSF FMIC, GFB DV+, VRSF down-pipe, aFe stage 2 intake, KW Clubsport Coilovers, xHP Stage 3.
(#1956)
Old

Car: Blk '07 335i e92, 6MT, iForged 19's
Default 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM

at your own risk:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...ight=jb4+15ohm
(#1957)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54TW
Has anyone on Map 5 noticed a boost change after switching from another map? I switched to map 0 one morning on my way into work and back to Map 5 later in the day and it doesn't seem to pull as hard or produce as much boost.

Terry, when is the memory cleared for map 5?

One month ago when getting into it, my car would stay right at 14-15 psi, now its more like 12-14 psi and jumps around a lot more. I haven't switched gas still running 93. The only difference is ambient temp and maybe humidity. It's about 10 degrees warmer now (85ish).

In my case my car last month with bogfix at 100 on map 5 was much smoother than jb3 map 7 and felt more consistent
Map 5 resets each time you switch to it. But with Map5 you will see boost changes, etc, as it monitors ignition advance continuously during WOT and catches cues that might otherwise go missed.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1958)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Terry, I have a few questions about JB4 logging. I found most of it with the JB3 logging thread, but there are a few new things you can log now.

PWM - 0% = no wastegate closure; 100% = full wastegate closure? Basically waste gate duty cycle?
Fuel enrichment - amount of extra fuel JB4 adds, not added into the AFR logging parameter.
Duty cycle - time the injectors are open/time between ignition events.
Exp1 - I remember reading about that but I cant find it anymore
Exp2 - ?
Fuel pressure - I know what fuel pressure is, but what is the scale?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have everything correct. The main reason I am wondering is because I want to see how close I am to the stock fuel system limits.

Thank you for your help, Terry.
(#1959)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbreeE90
Terry, I have a few questions about JB4 logging. I found most of it with the JB3 logging thread, but there are a few new things you can log now.

PWM - 0% = no wastegate closure; 100% = full wastegate closure? Basically waste gate duty cycle?
Fuel enrichment - amount of extra fuel JB4 adds, not added into the AFR logging parameter.
Duty cycle - time the injectors are open/time between ignition events.
Exp1 - I remember reading about that but I cant find it anymore
Exp2 - ?
Fuel pressure - I know what fuel pressure is, but what is the scale?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have everything correct. The main reason I am wondering is because I want to see how close I am to the stock fuel system limits.

Thank you for your help, Terry.
PWM is the duty cycle being added by the JB4 to the boost solenoids. 100% would be the full 18 ohms of load allowable.

Duty cycle is the OEM solenoid duty cycle. Used by the JB4 for detecting boost leaks, boost control, etc.

Fuel enrichment is how much fuel the JB4 is adding on top of the stock curve. 100% would be full bias with 2.7k fuel resistors.

Fuel pressure is scaled 0-top = 0-5v. 3.75-4v at WOT is average.

Exp1 is a user definable field. Most everyone has that set to liters per hour of fuel / 2. It's a reading from the DME's perspective and used to gauge fuel system and tuner code limits. Some use it with an external LM1 wideband to show external air/fuel ratios.

Exp2 isn't used. In the newest interface it's changed to CPS and reflects the degrees of offset.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1960)
Old

Default 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
PWM is the duty cycle being added by the JB4 to the boost solenoids. 100% would be the full 18 ohms of load allowable.

Duty cycle is the OEM solenoid duty cycle. Used by the JB4 for detecting boost leaks, boost control, etc.

Fuel enrichment is how much fuel the JB4 is adding on top of the stock curve. 100% would be full bias with 2.7k fuel resistors.

Fuel pressure is scaled 0-top = 0-5v. 3.75-4v at WOT is average.

Exp1 is a user definable field. Most everyone has that set to liters per hour of fuel / 2. It's a reading from the DME's perspective and used to gauge fuel system and tuner code limits. Some use it with an external LM1 wideband to show external air/fuel ratios.

Exp2 isn't used. In the newest interface it's changed to CPS and reflects the degrees of offset.

Okay, thank you. Last question, what will you normally see for the OEM duty cycle?
(#1961)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM

30-50%

Burger Motorsports

(#1962)
Old

Default 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Okay, I am sorry for asking so many questions I know you're busy. I am just so focused on this I feel like I am never going to be able to stop searching until I figure this out. You don't need to go too in depth, just enough for me to know the basics, I can figure the rest out.

PWM is used to keep the PID psi and ECU psi as close to each other as possible. PID and ECU psi need to be close to each other to prevent 30FF and 30FE codes, and to make the ECU think its running stock boost. If the ECU thinks it is running stock boost, what exactly is the JB4 doing to make the ECU increase boost? Is it only using the TMAP to make the ECU increase boost?
(#1963)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM

The JB4 adjusts the duty cycle of the wastegate solenoids to increase boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#1964)
Old

Default 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The JB4 adjusts the duty cycle of the wastegate solenoids to increase boost.
Okay, thats how I understood it in the first place. I just figured there was more than that and confused myself. Thanks for clearing that up.
(#1965)
Old

Car: 135 I N54
Default 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM

One more question, wich map it is more agressive? 2 or 5?

With my JB3 I had map 7, now Im running map 5 in JB4, but it's feels not so agressive than jb3 map 7...
(#1966)
Old
realitydesign.com

Car: 2007 135i 6MT
Default 04-08-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex!
One more question, wich map it is more agressive? 2 or 5?

With my JB3 I had map 7, now Im running map 5 in JB4, but it's feels not so agressive than jb3 map 7...
Map 5 is an auto-learning/tuning map. It's only as "aggressive" as your octane, mods, weather conditions, etc. Running high octane? Is it cold outside? Have some bolt-ons? Map 5 will be faster than your jb3 map 7. Got a stock car on 91 octane? Not so much.

Map 2 on the other hand is not variable, it's just designed for 93 octane.

So to answers your question, map 5 could be faster or slower than map 2, but it will always be "safer." (Not that map 2 is unsafe...)
(#1967)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

I am running map 2. It feels better than map 5.

2009 135i auto, JB4, DP fix, Code 3 intercooler, RR *********, RR full intake system, custom 3in exhaust with Magnaflow pipe.
(#1968)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM

Perhaps I missed it, but I sure would like to see the default settings for Map 2 (RPM= X boost, etc.). Thanks.

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#1969)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
Perhaps I missed it, but I sure would like to see the default settings for Map 2 (RPM= X boost, etc.). Thanks.
If you would like to see the boost curve vs RPM then just log a run from 2500 to 7000 rpm and observe the "Target" curve and RPM.

Very easy to do.

OB How did you get a 1.5 second 60ft..... Did you use first gear?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#1970)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM

My 1.5 best time for the 60' was on a hot afternoon, sticky track, methanol duals, exhaust cutout, and my 16" Mickey Thompson drag radials at 15lbs pressure.

Of course, a .40 jet of nitrous helped me blast out of the box in M1 gear (AT) Great traction makes the difference, especially with the LSD.

I set my KW shocks stiff in the rear, and loose in the front to shift weight to the rear.

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#1971)
Old

Default 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Quick question, that HEX file in the first post has the latest updates ?

I got my JB4 from a friend who sold their car, so their maps had some meth settings, I just want to upload the default firmware.
(#1972)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Latest firmware and default settings are in the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#1973)
Old

Default 04-09-2011, 02:13 AM

Yep, just tried it out tonight. Good fun. I did get a CEL initially on map 1, turned the car off/on, went away. Switched to map 5 - multiple WOTs, no CELs. I'll post the code tomorrow, whatever I find.

How do I read the codes off the dash? I just saw the needles going every where with the flashers.
(#1974)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhantom
Yep, just tried it out tonight. Good fun. I did get a CEL initially on map 1, turned the car off/on, went away. Switched to map 5 - multiple WOTs, no CELs. I'll post the code tomorrow, whatever I find.

How do I read the codes off the dash? I just saw the needles going every where with the flashers.
Read the FAQ in the first post!

Burger Motorsports

(#1975)
Old

Car: 135i and M3 E30 Evo III
Send a message via Skype™ to Babyjoe1973
Default 04-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Terry waiting for new MAPs! Old JB3 Maps were better!

Torben

BMW M3 F80 ZCP

Last edited by Babyjoe1973; 04-10-2011 at 06:31 AM..