N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Bmw m240i
Default D0wnpipe worth it? - 09-01-2017, 05:47 AM

Ive been wanting to get a c4tl3ss d0wnpipe for a while now? But have read some threads saying that it causes throttle closure and other problems with modified b58s. Is this something that only happens to some people or everyone that gets one. I am looking to upgrade to meth soon too but i dont want to deal with throttle closer but want my car that extra bit louder and extra bit faster.

Is it worth it to try it out?
(#2)
Old

Car: 340i M-Sport
Default 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Terry will tell you it isnt worth it. I enjoy mine. Quicker spool and I enjoy the sound.

16' 340i Ohlins R&T | ER ** | AP Intake | 437M | MPSS
(#3)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Keep in mind that if you're in the US, you'll be looking at a CEL constantly. Autoclear has been removed from the JB4 firmware for us.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#4)
Old

Car: BMW 440XI MPPSK
Default 09-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Also causes premature throttle closures - JB4 can address this with the EWG connector...
(#5)
Old

Car: Bmw m240i
Default 09-01-2017, 07:38 PM

thanks for the answers. anyone having a bad experience? thanks
(#6)
Old

Default 09-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Constant CEL + Throttle Closures = Bad Experiences

Outside that its great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw m240i
thanks for the answers. anyone having a bad experience? thanks
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-03-2017, 10:39 AM

If you want sound and live outside the USA then that is one thing. Don't expect any power gains though. We dyno tested them and found none.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: 135is DCT
Default 09-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Tuners here in s.africa claim they makin +- 15-20 wkw..
Gues they lying 2 clients ..

I tried on myn & besides sound no gain in power ..
(#9)
Old

Car: 340ix
Default 09-04-2017, 06:12 AM

I've never heard off a ******** that's ******* and bigger diameter not gaining power how is that possible
(#10)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 09-04-2017, 08:15 AM

If its not a restriction, there will be no power gains. The stock one may be able to flow more than enough for the stock turbo, and in this day and age, BMW c-a-t-s are not very restrictive.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#11)
Old

Car: BMW 240i
Default 09-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboss

Significant gains claimed here and dyno graphs provided:
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/290
(#12)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Seems to be something tuners do quite frequently. I've seen K&N claim 60hp for an intake, yet when its actually dynoed, the owners will see less than 20.

Look at the ER dyno sheets linked above. See something strange about them? I do. Hp and Torque don't cross at the right place. Horsepower equals torque times rpm, divided by 5252. Therefore the lines always must cross at 5252rpm. Funny how theirs crosses closer to 5000.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#13)
Old

Car: BMW 240i
Default 09-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Seems to be something tuners do quite frequently. I've seen K&N claim 60hp for an intake, yet when its actually dynoed, the owners will see less than 20.

Look at the ER dyno sheets linked above. See something strange about them? I do. Hp and Torque don't cross at the right place. Horsepower equals torque times rpm, divided by 5252. Therefore the lines always must cross at 5252rpm. Funny how theirs crosses closer to 5000.
That's quite interesting - Thank you
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Most of the time they use optimistic tests or do not control variables so it seems like the parts added power when really they didn't. The factory ***** on the m5 are good for 775whp.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#15)
Old

Car: M2
Default 09-04-2017, 04:30 PM

Sorry, but I have never not seen true power gains from a dec@t d/p, never!
(#16)
Old

Car: 2014 M135 Manual
Default 09-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoZZa
I agree, but why argue with Terry, he wouldn't lie to us. Must come with a sports *** std...
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-05-2017, 11:19 PM

IMO, not worth the hassle. That stock ** is huge and I have yet to see a log from anyone that would truly benefit from it yet. But hey, it's your car, do as you wish.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#18)
Old

Default 09-06-2017, 06:26 AM

Your talked about 1995 tech

Almost everything is over engineered today... thats why a simple boost increase yields some tremendous gains (relative to yesteryears.)

If either the intake or exhaust was a bottleneck you would not see the types of gains we are seeing with such small changes on something as simple as boost and/or timing... Most of you probably dont even remember that before anything intake and exhaust had to be changed... Now that can be an afterthought...

I wouldnt be surprised the current intake and exhaust is good for up to 500 hp...

however, if you want to remove all perceived restrictions (albeit small) so beit..

Quote:
(#19)
Old

Default 09-07-2017, 08:01 AM

Sorry but I am really having difficulties understanding why anyone would claim that a less restrictive d/p is a waste of time, or does not provide any performance gains. There is no sense in what is being said here.

I'm not claiming to have the knowledge of some of the members on this forum, but I do have my own experience, I've been in the tuning scene for over 20 years, cars of old and cars of today, not ONE has failed to see performance gains from having a less restrictive d/p installed.

But I'm done here, nobody could find the time to answer my questions over in the ///M section about what benefits a JB4 would provide me over my existing modifications on my M2. Bit of a poor show really.

I have decided to go flash tune instead of wasting my time with piggy back solutions.
(#20)
Old

Default 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSs_ZA
I agree, but why argue with Terry, he wouldn't lie to us. Must come with a sports *** std...
My car is an M2, it certainly does not have a sport *** as standard. The M2's standard *** is 400cel.
(#21)
Old

Car: 2014 M135 Manual
Default 09-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
My car is an M2, it certainly does not have a sport *** as standard. The M2's standard *** is 400cel.
Nobody was talking about your car, we talking about the B58, on the N55 a ** did make a difference.

You seem to be salty, you dont seem to appreciate the work BMS and Terry do for the industry, no need to come with smart comments.

Enjoy your flash.
(#22)
Old

Default 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSs_ZA
Nobody was talking about your car, we talking about the B58, on the N55 a ** did make a difference.

You seem to be salty, you dont seem to appreciate the work BMS and Terry do for the industry, no need to come with smart comments.

Enjoy your flash.
Thanks, will do
(#23)
Old

Car: 2015 F30 N55 M6
Default 09-09-2017, 01:28 PM

If the tuners take the presence of an emission control device into account then it's not a problem. But it's easier to eliminate the control device from the equation when you are tuning. You don't have to worry as much about melting the matrix or some of the upstream exhaust side component because of the tune.

Last edited by zinner; 09-09-2017 at 01:34 PM..
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-09-2017, 02:33 PM

The N55 benefits even less from a down pipe than the B58 does. If you want some sound and maybe a minor spool up improvement go for it. But it smells, is illegal, and doesn't add nearly as much power as any of the manufacturers claim. We make 500whp on our PS2 E series N55 with factory down pipe, and 480whp on our PS1 B58 with factory down pipe.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Car: 335
Default 09-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The N55 benefits even less from a down pipe than the B58 does. If you want some sound and maybe a minor spool up improvement go for it. But it smells, is illegal, and doesn't add nearly as much power as any of the manufacturers claim. We make 500whp on our PS2 E series N55 with factory down pipe, and 480whp on our PS1 B58 with factory down pipe.
Just curious, what other mods to get 500rwhp with the stock k1tty on the E series N55? Meth? E30-E40 fuel? FMIC?