N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 340i
Default E85 + WMI help - 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM

I have a 2017 340i with a JB4 running map 1 with 91 octane. Since I could not find E85 locally to play with I ordered the BMS Meth kit. I'm about half way done with the install.

I just found a semi-local gas station that sells E85, so now I'm in a quandary. Should I put 2-3 gallons of E85 in and try map 2 (or 3 or 5)? Or should I get meth dialed in on map 7 and then add E85 and tune more?

I have all stock air plumbing at the moment (no MPPSK, etc).

I keep reading about EWG wires and FF wires, and no matter how much I search, I can't find what I need to order, or even if I need either one. Are the names different on the Burger site? Are they listed under some other engine? <<edit>> I think I found the page for the connectors, but I still am not sure if I need the Fuel Pressure connector or the EWG cable.

Thanks - many more questions to come.

Last edited by Brett530; 11-05-2018 at 04:24 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-05-2018, 05:47 PM

B58 EWG connector and B48/58 Small FF wires.

http://www.burgertuning.com/JB4_upgrades.html

Try some e85 and get a log, it wont hurt on map 2. Post it up so I can evaluate.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 11-05-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks Payam. Do you mean I should get both of those connectors and then do a map 2 log with E85?
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530
Thanks Payam. Do you mean I should get both of those connectors and then do a map 2 log with E85?
You shouldn't need them to be honest. Why not post a log first so we can evaluate.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM

I learned something about "E85" today. I went to the station and got 2.5 gallons of the stuff and topped the tank off with 91. I noticed a sticker on the pump that says "contains up to 70% ethanol". Hmm, strange.
Later, I put those values into a calculator with 70% ethanol and it says my result is 92 octane! Doh!
Sure enough, I looked it up and a winter blend of "E85" is class 3 Ethanol with 70%

So I'm not sure it is worth doing logs with weak-sauce 92 octane now. I'm going to have to make some space in the tank for more 70% stuff.

At the moment, the math is beyond me. a 15.8 gal tank has 2.5 gal of E70 and 13.3 of 91. (Is E70 octane 100 or something less?). To calculate how much more E70 I need to put in to get to 93-94...? Are we talking rocket science here or horse shoes? Should I just add like 2 gal more?

Sincerely,
Noob
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I learned something about "E85" today. I went to the station and got 2.5 gallons of the stuff and topped the tank off with 91. I noticed a sticker on the pump that says "contains up to 70% ethanol". Hmm, strange.
Later, I put those values into a calculator with 70% ethanol and it says my result is 92 octane! Doh!
Sure enough, I looked it up and a winter blend of "E85" is class 3 Ethanol with 70%

So I'm not sure it is worth doing logs with weak-sauce 92 octane now. I'm going to have to make some space in the tank for more 70% stuff.

At the moment, the math is beyond me. a 15.8 gal tank has 2.5 gal of E70 and 13.3 of 91. (Is E70 octane 100 or something less?). To calculate how much more E70 I need to put in to get to 93-94...? Are we talking rocket science here or horse shoes? Should I just add like 2 gal more?

Sincerely,
Noob
It does depend but I have seen winter blends and haven't seen any change in percentage of e85.

You can easily check though! We sell tons of these and it's really simple to check and worth it for insurance.

http://www.burgertuning.com/e85_etha...ester_kit.html

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 05:13 PM

So after more reading, I may have been wrong. The calculator I used had 100 octane pre-entered, so I left it. Several posts say Pump Octane Number for E70 is 112 (some say 105, one said 98). If I re-do my calculation with an octane of 112 for E70 then I'm at 94 Octane now.
I also saw a few posts that say my area has 70% ethanol year round, not just winter. So that is probably better anyway since it will be more consistent.

Can anyone confirm the octane of 70% E85?
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
So after more reading, I may have been wrong. The calculator I used had 100 octane pre-entered, so I left it. Several posts say Pump Octane Number for E70 is 112 (some say 105, one said 98). If I re-do my calculation with an octane of 112 for E70 then I'm at 94 Octane now.
I also saw a few posts that say my area has 70% ethanol year round, not just winter. So that is probably better anyway since it will be more consistent.

Can anyone confirm the octane of 70% E85?
E85 is 105 octane. I use this calculator:

http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 11-07-2018, 08:53 PM

I think you missed my point, but the calculator was helpful. I know this isn't the E85 help forum, so I'm just posting in case it helps someone else.

If my E85 is only 70% Ethanol (E70), then it has more gas in it which lowers the octane (70% ethanol, 30% gas).
If 1 gal of 85% ethanol is 105 octane, a gallon of 70% ethanol has 0.82% of E85 and .18% is gas (I'm going to assume it is 87 octane - regular gas). Using the calculator for this mixture, it comes up with 101.8 octane for my 70% ethanol.

If I plug in 102 octane for the 2.5 gal of the 70% ethanol and 13.3 gal of 91, I get 92.7 octane and 19.5% ethanol.

Is that enough make a log of map 2?
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 11-11-2018, 03:10 PM

There are LOTS of assumptions when guessing ethanol % at the pump and octane of said fuel. You can only calculate what you can with the information you KNOW. Anything else is just a guess.

Until fuel pumps and injection kits come out, stick with methanol/ethanol injection. It works really, really well with 100% methanol or 100% ethanol. Boost Juice or lower concentrations, mixed with water, do not do very well on the B58, but they are better than nothing.

If you have an Android device, I use this to help me at the pump: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.e85&hl=en_US

2018 Audi RS3

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...