N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Arrow Stock Turbos or Hybrids When Limited to 91 Oct? - Yesterday, 07:05 AM

How's it going guys? Thanks for welcoming me into the forum. About 6 months ago, I purchased a 2008 335i in Atlantic Blue Metallic with Vargas Stage 1 turbos with 13,000 kms on them and a Dinan Stage 2 tune. After downloading MHD I found out I was running 14 PSI tapering down to 10 at WOT. Shortly after, I flashed MHD Stage 2+, and three days after that, I had a blown rear VTT turbo . I don't blame this on MHD. The turbos only had 20,000 kms at the time of failure, so we'll chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Now, I'm trying to decide whether I want to upgrade, or just put a set of brand new stock turbos in the car. My current mods are ******* *********, secondary *** delete, Dinan axleback exhaust, AEM cone filters, aluminum chargepipe with TiAl knockoff BOV, and an upgraded intercooler. My goals are to be above 400 WHP and possibly up to 500, but I am limited to 91 octane. If I upgrade, it will be either Pure 600's, or the eBay 17T. Cost is also a factor as the Pure turbos with installation will cost me about 13% of my annual gross income. Is it worth it to upgrade, or would I be better off sticking with stock turbos for my power goals and fuel limitations? I plan on owning the car for a long time and don't want to do this job twice. Most if not all other maintenance is up to date, so it's important to me that these turbos don't have problems, and don't disappoint me either. I will be upgrading my inlets either way, so I don't expect stock turbos to feel any slower than the Stage 1's. The question is, will the Pure 600's or Ebay 17t's be that much more enjoyable/reliable to justify the price increase, new tune, and LPFP?

P.S. I am not opposed to adding a port injection meth kit in the future if it will help me get my numbers up, but it won't be for another couple years.

Suggestions and recommendations would be great. Thanks!
(#2)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M-sport
Default Yesterday, 12:57 PM

I'm no expert but will chime in with my $0.02.
Whether you upgrade turbos or not, with those other upgrades, I'd look at an original TiAl BOV, not the knockoff. Poorly functioning BOVs or diverter valves can cause a turbo to fail. That's likely what caused my front turbo failure prematurely.

That said, my power goals were/are similar to yours. I wanted to get close to 500 hp, but with longevity as a major requirement, I felt I needed a sturdier upgrade to the stockers. About 6 months and 6K miles into them, I have been very happy with my choice of RB 1's. Ended up about 470HP on E30. With my mods, I probably could have gotten there on the stockers...before they crapped out again.

2010 535i M-sport, SAT, BMS DCI & OCC, RB Ones, inlets & PCV, VRSF ****, ER FMIC & CP, Tial Q BOV 1/4" hose, N20 TMAP, PR Stage 2 LPFP, Motiv pro-tuned w/MHD, OE M6 167's, 467hp/477tq