N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 21 Mazda 3 Hatch Turbo PP
Default 03-05-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradt
My unit was delivered today after a small delay at the FedEx hub. Solid build quality, I'm impressed!

I'm hoping to install tonight but not sure I can. I will definitely get to it over the weekend though.
Install on my 21 2.5T 3 was a breeze and connecting from the app was really simple. I enabled logging, did a little drive, and sent Terry the results. I'm looking forward to what's coming!

I think it'd be awesome if the gauges from the app could be displayed in Car Play or Android Auto! Just my .02
(#52)
Old

Car: 2020 CX-5 2.5T
Default 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPro
Should hopefully have a system up and installed by the end of this weekend on my CX-5, will keep you updated.
Well fedex is the worst so, wonít be getting this til next week hopefully
(#53)
Old

Default 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPro
Well fedex is the worst so, wonít be getting this til next week hopefully
Mine was held up in the Tennessee hub for a couple days. I hope it gets there soon.
(#54)
Old

Car: Honda Civic Type R
Default 03-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Install on my 21 2.5T 3 was a breeze and connecting from the app was really simple. I enabled logging, did a little drive, and sent Terry the results. I'm looking forward to what's coming!

I think it'd be awesome if the gauges from the app could be displayed in Car Play or Android Auto! Just my .02
Initial impressions? I had a JB4 on a Golf R and Civic Type R and there were noticeable gains on both. Looking forward to trying it on my new 2.5T 3!
(#55)
Old

Default 03-07-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdm24
Initial impressions? I had a JB4 on a Golf R and Civic Type R and there were noticeable gains on both. Looking forward to trying it on my new 2.5T 3!
Iíve been going pretty easy on it. Iíve had my daughter the majority of the time. Thereís only one map at the moment and I donít know the details of it. Terry did say he was working some other things so we shall see.
(#56)
Old

Car: 2020 CX-5 2.5T
Default 03-11-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Mine was held up in the Tennessee hub for a couple days. I hope it gets there soon.
I am up and running!! Was easy to install, wish the cords were a tad longer, but itís doable. Easiest firewall Iíve ever had to go through! Iím dealing with a boost leak right now during a intercooler/piping install. But hope this will all be sorted out soon.
(#57)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2021, 12:42 PM

On the development front, for the Mazda3 at least, I've determined we'll need MAF control to get the gains we're going for. So I have that on our test car now in testing. And will expand to the BETA testers once we're 100% it's working properly.

I don't know yet if MAF control will be required for CX models. If so its likely a different control scheme than the Mazda3 which uses a new SENT based sensor. So once I start to get some CX logs we can hone in on that.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#58)
Old

Default 03-11-2021, 04:12 PM

That’s awesome - looking forward to this!
(#59)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-14-2021, 11:31 AM

Did a few JB4 Mazda3 test runs today just to see where it's at. Car is still 100% factory running pump fuel. Also did a couple factory runs after for comparison as conditions change from day to day, etc.

Overall decent gains with mild tuning but less than we're shooting for. I'm finding it's easy to add torque (I can blow the tires off the line now), but something is holding back the power gains. Is it a small factory turbo? Perhaps the intake? We'll start poking around to see what we can find. Should have the AWD dyno up in a couple more weeks to really dig in to this.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#60)
Old

Car: None - Shopping Around
Default 03-15-2021, 07:23 AM

I'm super excited to see the continued progress. I have been apprehensive about buying the Mazda3 turbo because I was afraid there may not be much aftermarket support...but it seems like that is not the case and this car will be a much more fun daily driver.
(#61)
Old

Default 03-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Did a few JB4 Mazda3 test runs today just to see where it's at. Car is still 100% factory running pump fuel. Also did a couple factory runs after for comparison as conditions change from day to day, etc.

Overall decent gains with mild tuning but less than we're shooting for. I'm finding it's easy to add torque (I can blow the tires off the line now), but something is holding back the power gains. Is it a small factory turbo? Perhaps the intake? We'll start poking around to see what we can find. Should have the AWD dyno up in a couple more weeks to really dig in to this.
Thanks Terry, good luck. Let me know if you need me to test anything in the interim.
(#62)
Old

Car: 2019 Mazda 6 GTR
Default 03-18-2021, 05:56 PM

Hey Terry,

I’m not sure if you’re looking for more beta testers. But I’ve got a ‘19 Mazda 6 that currently only has a SRI. I would be interested in helping out if you think it would be beneficial. Thanks!
(#63)
Old

Car: BP turbo hatch
Default 03-21-2021, 10:50 PM

Registered just to follow this. Patiently awaiting a restock on the jb4.
(#64)
Old
This R My PeePee Place

Car: 2021 3 Turbo 2013 Speed3
Default 03-23-2021, 10:10 AM

Hola Everybody!! FNG here :P Patiently waiting for big things. Own a 13 Speed 3 and now the new 21 3 Turbo. As in my email I sent to you Terry, I certainly would love to be an Beta Tester for the tune and such or whatever is needed or at least learn more about the new model as much as I can!! Just want to shout out Burger for getting on this model where as most Speed tuners didn't want to touch this one. Cheers!!! Seem like things are progressing nicely, with some small hiccups, but if it were easy, what's the fun in that!
(#65)
Old

Car: 2021 Mazda 3T hatchback
Default Excited - 03-23-2021, 02:16 PM

Super excited to hear about the work you're doing there! Had the 3T since November, and am kicking myself for not finding Burgers work before now. Extremely interested in how I can help or gain knowledge. I'm in West Texas with good fuel, thick air, and open roads.
(#66)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 03-27-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrout7992
Terry,
The majority of the Mazda CX-5 owners with the 2.5T have experienced a consistent power loss in 1st and 2nd gear when the temperature drops below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s independent of traction, precipitation, engine and transmission temps, you name it. When it drops below 20, there’s no boost until 3rd gear. If you heat soak the engine when it’s less than 20 outside you’ll get normal power for the first pull. After that it drops back down to nothing. Have you seen anything like that so far?
That is the tighter torque limiters on modern turbo cars. When the air is that cold it's much denser so it requires less boost to make the rated power. But if you are commanding more power (say 75% TPS) but the air is denser then the car hits a hard limit and pulls boost not timing.

I've seen it on my Forte GT when I tried to increase the ethanol content up to 30% on the stock tune, the boost would fluctuate meaning the car was making more power easier because of no knock from the fuel but wouldn't allow it to happen.

With the JB4 the boost is wavy but you don't feel it while driving or at WOT (it's much MUCH faster), that can only be fixed with a back-end flash, I suspect most modern turbo cars will need that to get the full benefit of the JB4's capabilities.
(#67)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 03-27-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:

Not bad, my car ran 9.22@78.5 mph with a 45 min cool down where the coolant temp was still reasonable but not as cool as I wanted. They were getting ready to shut the track down so I wanted to get back out there (Sacramento) and I had to drive back to SoCal.

Map 1, 91 octane fuel, Hoosier Drag Radials. Unfortunately I couldn't get the DR's as hot as needed because I was experiencing wheel hop on the burnout and not the launch, I thought that was strange.

I added some Whiteline lower engine mount bushings and that has solved it.

Looks like with less weight and less driveline drag will allow the Forte GT, Honda Civic Si to remain competitive as least for now. The Forte GT's DCT shift pretty quick but I think according to Veloster Turbo owners (2019 up) there's limit of about 220 lbs of torque on the stock clutch pack.
(#68)
Old

Default 03-29-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Terry - still thinking the AWD dyno will be up soon?
(#69)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-29-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Terry - still thinking the AWD dyno will be up soon?
It's here just need to find time to put it all together!

Burger Motorsports

(#70)
Old

Car: Mazda 3 AWD Turbo
Default 04-14-2021, 01:56 AM

How is it going with the tuning?

Any news?
(#71)
Old

Default 04-14-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poje
How is it going with the tuning?

Any news?
I havenít heard anything in regards to beta testing but hopefully theyíre still making some progress. Maybe no news is good news?
(#72)
Old

Car: BP turbo hatch
Default 04-14-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I havenít heard anything in regards to beta testing but hopefully theyíre still making some progress. Maybe no news is good news?
I hope so.
(#73)
Old

Default 04-19-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It's here just need to find time to put it all together!
Hey Terry - any progress on Mazda 3?
(#74)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hey Terry - any progress on Mazda 3?
Finally able to get some real work done. The hangup on more BETA systems remains finding the MAF connectors for production systems. We may just need to give up and ghetto hand modify other connectors we have to move it forward.

Burger Motorsports

(#75)
Old

Default 04-22-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Finally able to get some real work done. The hangup on more BETA systems remains finding the MAF connectors for production systems. We may just need to give up and ghetto hand modify other connectors we have to move it forward.
Good stuff! I grew up in the ghetto, sounds good to me