N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335xi manual
Default log review - 07-07-2020, 06:56 PM

E40 mix.

It's been a while since posting a log, been trying to find the cause of why i'm smoking constantly coming to idle. Don't know if I could have internal problems? Or just PCV related.

car is running great, just did a compression test recently results were 180->175 on all six. just have in the back of my mind something is up with the car, its smoking more than ever.

never seen avg ign at 0.0 either in any logs.
or afr hit 20 drop and hit 20? about 500miles on new primary o2's. Is this misfires or something else?

Would like know if I should push it any more or just settle where it is at?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200707_1821.csv (18.5 KB, 48 views)

RB 2ís - inlets - dpís - borla mids - cp/bov- stage2LPFP -Hybrid e85_bef

Last edited by ToolMaker335xi; 07-08-2020 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: Add to coment
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-08-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker335xi
E40 mix.

It's been a while since posting a log, been trying to find the cause of why i'm smoking constantly coming to idle. Don't know if I could have internal problems? Or just PCV related.

car is running great, just did a compression test recently results were 180->175 on all six. just have in the back of my mind something is up with the car, its smoking more than ever.

never seen avg ign at 0.0 either in any logs.
or afr hit 20 drop and hit 20? about 500miles on new primary o2's. Is this misfires or something else?

Would like know if I should push it any more or just settle where it is at?
To me this looks cleans

How many miles on Turbos? Any oil consumption?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-08-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
To me this looks cleans

How many miles on Turbos? Any oil consumption?
About 7k on the turbos. Recently oil consumption dropped 2 bars in about 550 miles.

Been smoking since day one of installing turbos and new exhaust. Donít think itís the turbos, but I have yet to pull the ***** and check for axial play. Leaning towards PCV related. But just havenít solved it yet. Hoping itís not something worse.

Ready to push it a little more until a weakness shows if it is something internal. Spoke with Rob the last two days and he seems confident the Turbos are still healthy.

(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-08-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
About 7k on the turbos. Recently oil consumption dropped 2 bars in about 550 miles.

Been smoking since day one of installing turbos and new exhaust. Donít think itís the turbos, but I have yet to pull the ***** and check for axial play. Leaning towards PCV related. But just havenít solved it yet. Hoping itís not something worse.

Ready to push it a little more until a weakness shows if it is something internal. Spoke with Rob the last two days and he seems confident the Turbos are still healthy.
Interesting, smoking seems to be increasing and oil consumption seems to be up. Iíd check the Turbos, to be safe.

What is your current PCV setup?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-08-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting, smoking seems to be increasing and oil consumption seems to be up. Iíd check the Turbos, to be safe.

What is your current PCV setup?
Right on, I should.

PCV still has the flapper on the high side to BMS OCC. just switched vac side to the BMS vac side OCC. thatís when it got really smokey.

Looking back at smoking increased when I did an oil change and put in 0w40 for summer. Assumed it was coming thru the holes to the intake ports so got the vac side occ. it smoked a lot. So plugged the holes in the head to the intake ports. Got a little better then. Just yesterday I decided to see if putting 5w30 back in would make a difference and it did help. Only get an occasional puff of smoke when coming to a stop now so thatís why I decided to run a log last night.

(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-09-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Right on, I should.

PCV still has the flapper on the high side to BMS OCC. just switched vac side to the BMS vac side OCC. thatís when it got really smokey.

Looking back at smoking increased when I did an oil change and put in 0w40 for summer. Assumed it was coming thru the holes to the intake ports so got the vac side occ. it smoked a lot. So plugged the holes in the head to the intake ports. Got a little better then. Just yesterday I decided to see if putting 5w30 back in would make a difference and it did help. Only get an occasional puff of smoke when coming to a stop now so thatís why I decided to run a log last night.
No oil reaching the exhaust tips?

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 07-09-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
No oil reaching the exhaust tips?
Nope... well not yet..

Took the flapper off this morning and discovered the o ring was missing. Put one one it. Got excited I thought figured it out, until I took for a spin and smoked like crazy again, even smoked during idle at the first stop I made.

(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-10-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Nope... well not yet..

Took the flapper off this morning and discovered the o ring was missing. Put one one it. Got excited I thought figured it out, until I took for a spin and smoked like crazy again, even smoked during idle at the first stop I made.
I know a lot of guys blame smoking on PCV- which is possible, however if the smoke is excessive, I generally tell people, start looking elsewhere.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 07-17-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of guys blame smoking on PCV- which is possible, however if the smoke is excessive, I generally tell people, start looking elsewhere.
Issue resolved. PCV valve was pretty much non functional. Glad thatís all it was.

Ready to start trying a little more boost. Let me know what you want to see in my next log.

(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-17-2020, 11:37 AM

Let’s see a current log.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 07-18-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Letís see a current log.
should be around E42-E43 mix,

blew the fuel tank vent valve hose off the throttle body adapter. I think it happened right after the pull.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200718_1330.csv (19.5 KB, 42 views)

(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-18-2020, 08:42 PM

Let’s see map 7

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 07-19-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Letís see map 7
Same fuel
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200719_0356.csv (17.4 KB, 42 views)

(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-19-2020, 07:56 AM

Okay, I don’t like what the hpfp is doing

Few options- we drop down to say e30-35 to see if we can keep the hpfp happy & hopeflly hold timing or we can keep thing where they were?

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 07-19-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Okay, I donít like what the hpfp is doing

Few options- we drop down to say e30-35 to see if we can keep the hpfp happy & hopeflly hold timing or we can keep thing where they were?
I hear You. I was a little surprised it dipped to 8.

Iím going to leave it where itís at for now and plan on upgrading HPFP soon.

Itís a shame I wasted the money on the first PCV setup that ended up being junk right out of the box or Iíd be ordering the pump right now. Will always want more power. Oh well, Iím finally satisfied with the car for now.

Thank you!

(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-20-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I hear You. I was a little surprised it dipped to 8.

Iím going to leave it where itís at for now and plan on upgrading HPFP soon.

Itís a shame I wasted the money on the first PCV setup that ended up being junk right out of the box or Iíd be ordering the pump right now. Will always want more power. Oh well, Iím finally satisfied with the car for now.

Thank you!
Enjoy & be safe

Burger Motorsports