N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335xi manual
Default Still Smokin! - 06-20-2020, 12:36 PM

Ever since I installing upgraded twins the car has been smoking coming to a stop. When turbos were put on so where inlets, downs, and mids so I upgraded PCV, new valve cover, and new flapper and still smoked. Just installed vac side occ and still smokes! I don't see how this catch can is going to keep my valves clean if its still sucking oil.

Anyone still smoke under vac with this setup? What else could be causing this?

Is there anything else I can do before I try blocking the holes to the intake ports? I don’t want to pull the valve cover and intake again( just changed OFHG and did another walnut blast since I had it off)

UPDATE!! Took the car out for a 2nd drive and now it is blowing smoke. Does not smoke under any kind of throttle but coasted down a hill and had a smoke trail the whole way. Stopped at a stop sign and it just poured out smoke. Climbed the next hill and no smoke at all. Drove most of the way home up hill parked in the driveway and no smoke idling. Rev’d to 2500 and stated smoking for a few seconds like it was before the catch can.

Could my turbos be shot after 7k miles??? Check valve not working in the occ system?

Did not have any signs of oil in the charge pipe when I had the intake off. If it’s turbos, would it only be leaking into the exhaust? IMO I don’t think it turbos, but I’m out of ideas.

RB 2ís - inlets - dpís - borla mids - cp/bov- stage2LPFP -Hybrid e85_bef

Last edited by ToolMaker335xi; 06-20-2020 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Update
(#2)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-20-2020, 03:43 PM

What color is the smoke? It may be your exhaust valve stem seals if it isn't the turbos...

2007 335i - MHD, VRSF 7" FMIC, PLM *****, Stage 2 Fuel-it!
(#3)
Old

Default 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnm
What color is the smoke? It may be your exhaust valve stem seals if it isn't the turbos...
Blueish white. Itís definitely oil.

I donít know if both banks would have bad seals over night though. Itís smoking from both banks and I have no crossover in the exhaust. Kinda why I donít think both turbos seals went bad simultaneously.

Think itís sucking oil through the intake ports because it got a lot worse once switching to the vac side occ. but donít know why?

Guess Iím just going to block the holes to the intake as my next step to rule that out. Before the catch can install it would only smoke for a few sec when it would switch to vacuum. Itís smoking a lot worse now.

(#4)
Old

Default 06-20-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker335xi
Blueish white. Itís definitely oil.

I donít know if both banks would have bad seals over night though. Itís smoking from both banks and I have no crossover in the exhaust. Kinda why I donít think both turbos seals went bad simultaneously.

Think itís sucking oil through the intake ports because it got a lot worse once switching to the vac side occ. but donít know why?

Guess Iím just going to block the holes to the intake as my next step to rule that out. Before the catch can install it would only smoke for a few sec when it would switch to vacuum. Itís smoking a lot worse now.
Edit/update: took the car on the same route as before except this time put it in neutral going down the big hill and didnít smoke like it did before. Iím thinking it was pulling more oil thru the holes with the throttle closed and the rpm being higher from in gear.

Iím still bummed out, I thought this vac side occ would eliminate this. I hope blocking the holes to the intake ports does the trick!

Has anyone else had this happen, I know Iíve came across some threads where they still smoked after upgraded pcv, VC, VCG. But Iím shocked it still does it with the catch can.

(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 06-20-2020, 05:32 PM

Definitely is the turbos, could be the seals or the return lines

JB4 flash with JB4, 4.0 bar sensor, DocR 6870, Race InterC, FuelIT stage 3 (525), Helix OverDrv 3x, Phoenix Intake with PI (750cc) with BMS controller, PrRW coil pack kit, WaveTrc Diff. E85
(#6)
Old

Default 06-21-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertc
Definitely is the turbos, could be the seals or the return lines
Well that sucks, I made sure the return lines were 100% clean.

And they smoked since day 1.

(#7)
Old

Default 06-22-2020, 07:28 AM

decided to do a compression test since its been about two years. Checked ok
>175
>175

have never done a leakdown. car came from an old retired ICU doctor. bone stock so no reason to believe it was beat on till I got it.

Charge pipe is bone dry, so if it is turbo seals, has to only be leaking on the exhaust side. I'm not convinced its bad seals yet, not enough to pull the down ***** off yet. As I stated, this just started smoke a lot after vac side OCC was installed.

catch can had no oil in it at all, only about 1/2 teaspoon of what appeared to be water/condensation.

valves were completely black after 54 miles driven since a walnut blast.(did not do a very thorough blast, just knock all the heavy visible crud. Im assuming they rotate some while opening and closing and the chunks left were on the back side during the blast. but they were at least metal color before putting the manifold back on)

All intake ports has signs of oil, some more than other. but they all had a sheen to them on the center rib. Made sure to wipe out the intake ports when i put new intake gaskets on.

Contacted Rob after my first post I made about it smoking, not sure if he received it or not. I assume he didn't since I didn't get a reply from him( thread was named: A Few Rookie Questions, around April 2019 when I first brought up my issue with the smoking right after the install.)

here"s just a few pics to verify my situation
Attached Images

(#8)
Old

Default 06-22-2020, 07:47 AM

more pics
Attached Images

(#9)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 06-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Contacted Rob after my first post I made about it smoking, not sure if he received it or not. I assume he didn't since I didn't get a reply from him( thread was named: A Few Rookie Questions, around April 2019 when I first brought up my issue with the smoking right after the install.
Never received an email from you? So if you had sent it and didn't get a response (usually within hours to a single business day), then it didn't arrive. I check spam/junk folder regularly as well. Check email address (it is in sig) and send again.

Regarding the issue I'd suggest pulling the valve cover and plugging the head ports (since you have the RB External PCV you can do this), this should rule out any sealing issue these ports can create which can lead to these exact sorts of problems you are experiencing.

Anything is possible with time and millions of variables, but you should be good with the turbos especially in that you mentioned this being an issue since "Day 1".

PS. These units have had tremendous quality since intro a few years ago. Have only had one set come back from a blown engine guy who wanted to upgrade to RB Twos Plus (they were not even damaged, but caked up with oil from blown engine). This same guy popped new motor on the RB Twos Plus shortly after install. Also had another unit that snapped a shaft due to a BOV that was not working, and this was a catastrophic failure that you can not mistake as anything else as the turbos would no longer make boost. On the other side of things I spoke with another guy a few weeks ago who has popped 3 motors with the same set of these (he never even refurbished them in between), and still running 10.9-11.0sec ETs with them. If any set is due to have an issue it is this one... lol.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 06-22-2020 at 09:11 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Never received an email from you? So if you had sent it and didn't get a response (usually within hours to a single business day), then it didn't arrive. I check spam/junk folder regularly as well. Check email address (it is in sig) and send again.

Regarding the issue I'd suggest pulling the valve cover and plugging the head ports (since you have the RB External PCV you can do this), this should rule out any sealing issue these ports can create which can lead to these exact sorts of problems you are experiencing.

Anything is possible with time and millions of variables, but you should be good with the turbos especially in that you mentioned this being an issue since "Day 1".

PS. These units have had tremendous quality since intro a few years ago. Have only had one set come back from a blown engine guy who wanted to upgrade to RB Twos Plus (they were not even damaged, but caked up with oil from blown engine). This same guy popped new motor on the RB Twos Plus shortly after install. Also had another unit that snapped a shaft due to a BOV that was not working, and this was a catastrophic failure that you can not mistake as anything else as the turbos would no longer make boost. On the other side of things I spoke with another guy a few weeks ago who has popped 3 motors with the same set of these (he never even refurbished them in between), and still running 10.9-11.0sec ETs with them. If any set is due to have an issue it is this one... lol.

Thanks,
Rob
I wasnít claiming itís the turbos, I actually said I donít think itís the turbos. Someone else commented on the post that it was ď definitely turbos ď I stated Iím not convinced itís turbos. I mainly posted to find out if any one else was smoking more after installing the BMS vac side occ and didnít plug the ports.

I also sent you a message yesterday and didnít receive anything back but you did respond here, thanks. Not sure why you didnít get it? I used the contact us feature on your website.

Not claiming the turbos were a problem since day one. Just that they caused the car to smoke since day 1 of installing. I should have worded that different. Iím sorry.

I think they perform great. And you had great customer service. You called me the next day after I placed my order and let me know they havenít fully went into production yet, but the sets you had in beta test were doing what they should and that it was going to be about 2months before theyíd ship to me and asked if Iíd be interested in a different set, but I decided to wait for the 2ís since they were the right choice for my power goals. You let me ship the cores back late because I was busy with school and didnít have the time to install them once I received them. Also gave me a deal on your inlets. I was very pleased with the turbos and your customer service.

I wish I ordered your external setup but didnít only because I didnít feel like ordering the OCC separate and paying shipping on 2 orders. I ordered the BMS one, but I really should have researched both a little more before I ordered. I do think Iíll be getting some high flow drains when the turbos do need a rebuild. I will email you directly next time instead of using the contact us button on the website.

(#11)
Old
Stalker

Default 06-22-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t claiming it’s the turbos, I actually said I don’t think it’s the turbos. Someone else commented on the post that it was “ definitely turbos “ I stated I’m not convinced it’s turbos. I mainly posted to find out if any one else was smoking more after installing the BMS vac side occ and didn’t plug the ports.

I also sent you a message yesterday and didn’t receive anything back but you did respond here, thanks. Not sure why you didn’t get it? I used the contact us feature on your website.

Not claiming the turbos were a problem since day one. Just that they caused the car to smoke since day 1 of installing. I should have worded that different. I’m sorry.

I think they perform great. And you had great customer service. You called me the next day after I placed my order and let me know they haven’t fully went into production yet, but the sets you had in beta test were doing what they should and that it was going to be about 2months before they’d ship to me and asked if I’d be interested in a different set, but I decided to wait for the 2’s since they were the right choice for my power goals. You let me ship the cores back late because I was busy with school and didn’t have the time to install them once I received them. Also gave me a deal on your inlets. I was very pleased with the turbos and your customer service.

I wish I ordered your external setup but didn’t only because I didn’t feel like ordering the OCC separate and paying shipping on 2 orders. I ordered the BMS one, but I really should have researched both a little more before I ordered. I do think I’ll be getting some high flow drains when the turbos do need a rebuild. I will email you directly next time instead of using the contact us button on the website.
While I've seen the RB website "contact us" emails delay a day or two in the past, if you sent something and it still is not here then apparently the website relay is not always working. Although I have had no others reach out to indicate this, we did get an error message recently from the hosting service so maybe it had dropped for a bit and lost whatever it needs to relay. Not a website guy, so not sure? So anyway yes going forward just send emails directly if you want a sure thing, the direct email in sig also including the phone contact as well. Rest assured received emails and calls are always answered within a business day, even if it is post support and not the best of situations. The reason why I clarify these things as we don't just not respond to inquiries, calls for help, etc.; before and after support is part of your purchase experience and I certainly do not want the onlooker to feel as if tech support is poor over here.

As for your issue and my prior commentary, I didn't realize you were using the BMS External PCV, and unfortunately I do not know much about it. As such I always steer customers to the RB External PCV offering as it has nearly 5 years of service now and it has served tons of customers well, many times correcting these types of issues, and has otherwise been a great product and awesome way to bullet proof the N54 PCV system.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 06-22-2020 at 05:27 PM..
(#12)
Old

Default 07-06-2020, 10:43 PM

I blocked the holes in the head to the intake ports about a week ago. This did not stop the smoking.

Only smokes when rpms drop down to idle or moving at low rpm( under 1500)

Let it sit and idle a few times for about 15min then would rev it and no smoke until coming back to idle, so donít think itís exhaust valve stem seals. Havenít ruled that out yet because I havenít felt like pulling the turbos off. Still could be a possibility by how dirty my intake valves got after 54 miles of a walnut blast and installing a vac side OCC.

A lot of threads Iíve come across on this issue, turbos were the culprit. Looks like Iíll be pulling them once I get some motivation back. See what the exhaust valves are looking like. At least get the seals replaced and maybe try hi-flow drains.

(#13)
Old

Car: BMW E82 135I
Default 07-16-2020, 12:36 AM

Hi ToolMaker335xi . Did you resolve the smoking issue?
(#14)
Old
Stalker

Default 07-16-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNUT
Spoke with him yesterday- he said most all of the intake valves have a ton of oil on them and also the current PCV valve he has is basically seized closed- he is trying the RB setup (with a functional valve) to see where it takes him.

(#15)
Old

Default 07-17-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNUT
Yes I believe it is resolved, thanks to the help of Rob. This guy went above and beyond any customer service Iíd expect.

New setup has only been on for a couple hours, but two test drives only had one instance coming to a stop where it smoked a little. Can rev up and let it come back to idle with no smoke every time so far. Very happy with the RB external setup, wish I went this route a lot earlier.