N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default Cobb tuning seriously? - 02-09-2014, 12:27 AM

I live in dfw and Cobb is in Plano (30 miles). I needed to get the gls392 installed. It fuel so I kinda wanted an experienced person hacking up my bucket. I talked with Brice at Alamo autosports about it. He like any good business owner is up for doing the work but it was going to be a week. I am impatient so I called Cobb to see what they would charge. Here's a play baby play of the conversation.

Hey I have a 335i I need you to put a fuel pump in. I am immediately asked if it's a hpfp. "Why would anyone pay for a hpfp when there under warranty for 8 yrs? " I thought to my selfI said no I need a walbro inline installed. Chris asks what for? I was thinking ok maybe I just got a noob on the phone. I explain I need additional fuel for the mods and and e85 % I am running. The guys says ok so you want us to install the fuel pump? I said yeah you just run a loop of fuel line and pump to boost the lpf delivery. Chris ohh we have never done that before. I explains the whole process and asked how much? He then tells me that he wants to charge $90 an hour. I ask how many hours? Chris tells me he doesn't know because they have never done it before. I said ok well I think you need to give me a discount because I am educating you. He said no that's not how it works. I said ok well your just going to charge me to read a thread and try and figure it out? He says yeah it will take 2-4 hours from what your telling me. And he asks me why I don't do it. This just pissed me off. I am trying to pay someone to work and he doesn't want to; wow! I said I thought you were a real performance shop? Terry burger has had this $95 wall bro install on his site for more than a. Year. Chris then tells me how they tune gtr's and other expensive cars etc and basically knocks me for not having a gtr. I said "well a real performance shop can fabricate anything and then some. It's really sad you make tuners for n54's and have never worked on the fuel system which means you have never tuned a n54 that makes real power or else you would have run out of fuel. I think I am just going to take my car to a real performance shop and stay away from guys who can't do much of anything."

Point is these guys are worthless and do some marketing to make them sound good however they are baffled by a dyi. stay away from these noobs. End rant
(#2)
Old
temperamental's Avatar
temperamental temperamental is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 27
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 02:11 AM

I cant comment on COBB tuning. Dont know anything about them other the accessport.

But you can do the inline LPFP install yourself. Just a liitle bit of patience and you will have it done. BUT does your logs indicate the need for a replacement? A few guys in my home town still running the stock pump with 75% eth & the stock pump seems to keep up well.


JB4 //MMP Stage 3 turbos//Custom Exhaust/BMS DCI//FMIC/KW suspension//Pi & Fuel it stage 4/MHD
BEF /CP&TIAL/ OCC.
(#3)
Old
bnk bnk is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 474
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 02-09-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
I live in dfw and Cobb is in Plano (30 miles). I needed to get the gls392 installed. It fuel so I kinda wanted an experienced person hacking up my bucket. I talked with Brice at Alamo autosports about it. He like any good business owner is up for doing the work but it was going to be a week. I am impatient so I called Cobb to see what they would charge. Here's a play baby play of the conversation.

Hey I have a 335i I need you to put a fuel pump in. I am immediately asked if it's a hpfp. "Why would anyone pay for a hpfp when there under warranty for 8 yrs? " I thought to my selfI said no I need a walbro inline installed. Chris asks what for? I was thinking ok maybe I just got a noob on the phone. I explain I need additional fuel for the mods and and e85 % I am running. The guys says ok so you want us to install the fuel pump? I said yeah you just run a loop of fuel line and pump to boost the lpf delivery. Chris ohh we have never done that before. I explains the whole process and asked how much? He then tells me that he wants to charge $90 an hour. I ask how many hours? Chris tells me he doesn't know because they have never done it before. I said ok well I think you need to give me a discount because I am educating you. He said no that's not how it works. I said ok well your just going to charge me to read a thread and try and figure it out? He says yeah it will take 2-4 hours from what your telling me. And he asks me why I don't do it. This just pissed me off. I am trying to pay someone to work and he doesn't want to; wow! I said I thought you were a real performance shop? Terry burger has had this $95 wall bro install on his site for more than a. Year. Chris then tells me how they tune gtr's and other expensive cars etc and basically knocks me for not having a gtr. I said "well a real performance shop can fabricate anything and then some. It's really sad you make tuners for n54's and have never worked on the fuel system which means you have never tuned a n54 that makes real power or else you would have run out of fuel. I think I am just going to take my car to a real performance shop and stay away from guys who can't do much of anything."

Point is these guys are worthless and do some marketing to make them sound good however they are baffled by a dyi. stay away from these noobs. End rant
They are nerds and marketers, not tuners. Anyone with tuning experience can develop better maps, protuners included. And the harware they sell is mostly just rebranded. No wonder they haven't needed the fueling, since as you said, they don't have enough whp to hit the ceiling.
(#4)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperamental
I cant comment on COBB tuning. Dont know anything about them other the accessport.

But you can do the inline LPFP install yourself. Just a liitle bit of patience and you will have it done. BUT does your logs indicate the need for a replacement? A few guys in my home town still running the stock pump with 75% eth & the stock pump seems to keep up well.
The logs indicate low fuel pressure drops to 39psi but it stays above that 97% of the time. I would rather be safe than sorry. Plus I don't want to overwork the hpfp.

I can do the install heck I installed the ********* on ramps; maybe you guys can answer some questions for me and make it easier.

1) torque for fuel line clamps? I like to torque the crap out of stuff but I don't know where to go with it.
2) Torque for the brass bundy ends the screw into the fuel pump?
3)I read diy and I don't understand the 90 degree bundy you remove from the the orange line. Where is it going and what goes in its place? I need a better diagram to follow and I would be gold.
4)do I wrap the pump in the foam sleeve in came with?
5)any other tips?
(#5)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Legend
 
Posts: 1,497
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 02-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Based on YOUR version of the story, I would have probably had the same attitude as your friend at Cobb. If a company (I don't care if it's automotive-related or not) does not perform certain services, and THEY DON'T WANT TO, it is not your decision to make them.

You totally lost me at "I am impatient." Right there tells me you are a pain in the ass. I would have told you I'm not interested, based on your comments of how the story unfolded.

This is a perfect example of why I don't work in a consumer industry. I will only deal with business-to-business. A lot less BS like this.


2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#6)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 11:36 AM

No one asked you to make judgements did they? Nope! I was simply trying to inform otherfolks to stay away. So either heed my advice or move on. Your running 2yr old backend flash so what do you really know? Not much. Haha. FYI they wanted the work I declined there service. Learn to read noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg
Based on YOUR version of the story, I would have probably had the same attitude as your friend at Cobb. If a company (I don't care if it's automotive-related or not) does not perform certain services, and THEY DON'T WANT TO, it is not your decision to make them.

You totally lost me at "I am impatient." Right there tells me you are a pain in the ass. I would have told you I'm not interested, based on your comments of how the story unfolded.

This is a perfect example of why I don't work in a consumer industry. I will only deal with business-to-business. A lot less BS like this.
(#7)
Old
Element's Avatar
Element Element is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 582
Join Date: Jun 2013
Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM

So you phone a shop, ask them to do something they've never done before on your particular model, they give you their hourly rates and an estimate of how long it would likely take to them to research and complete the job. You complain stating that the job is piss easy and shouldn't take them that long and then proceed to give them **** about their supposed lack of previous experience with N54 motors. Does that about cover the sequence of events?

Seems to me they were trying to accommodate a prickly customer who thinks he knows everything but is too scared to swing a spanner. Frankly I think they handled your particular brand of nonsense quite well.
(#8)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Hey look another useless Cobb employee found the real n54 tuning site. Listen hear fool I have money so I do to have to work on it if I don't want to. Go ask your daddy for some more money. Just bend over like you have done your whole life for daddy's money. Grab those ankles boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element
So you phone a shop, ask them to do something they've never done before on your particular model, they give you their hourly rates and an estimate of how long it would likely take to them to research and complete the job. You complain stating that the job is piss easy and shouldn't take them that long and then proceed to give them **** about their supposed lack of previous experience with N54 motors. Does that about cover the sequence of events?

Seems to me they were trying to accommodate a prickly customer who thinks he knows everything but is too scared to swing a spanner. Frankly I think they handled your particular brand of nonsense quite well.
(#9)
Old
Element's Avatar
Element Element is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 582
Join Date: Jun 2013
Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
Hey look another useless Cobb employee found the real n54 tuning site. Listen hear fool I have money so I do to have to work on it if I don't want to. Go ask your daddy for some more money. Just bend over like you have done your whole life for daddy's money. Grab those ankles boy!
Sorry to disappoint. Lifetime JB user here and not even a resident of a country that Cobb operates in.

"I have money so do I have to work on it if I don't want to..." I'm sorry but I pissed myself a little reading that. Once again that winning personality of yours shines through making your little rant above ever more meaningless.

Must be tough going through life so entitled. I'll bet you have a lots of friends, champ.
(#10)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Legend
 
Posts: 1,497
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Yes, I'm a noob. Does that make you feel better now that it is out in the open?

I'm giving MY OPINION because you decided to open your mouth on a PUBLIC FORUM. Read before you speak about other people. Or just go back to e90post. People here actually want to learn. You just want to talk trash.


2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#11)
Old
Stohlen Stohlen is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
Hey look another useless Cobb employee found the real n54 tuning site. Listen hear fool I have money so I do to have to work on it if I don't want to. Go ask your daddy for some more money. Just bend over like you have done your whole life for daddy's money. Grab those ankles boy!
This statement makes me completely disregard your experience as a factual series of events.
(#12)
Old
boost junkie boost junkie is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: bmw
Default 02-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Read luckys other posts if you want more entertainment. BTW, I've actually been to Cobb Plano. It's a very nice and professional facility.
(#13)
Old
stanlalee's Avatar
stanlalee stanlalee is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 125
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes

Hey I have a 335i I need you to put a fuel pump in. I am immediately asked if it's a hpfp. "Why would anyone pay for a hpfp when there under warranty for 8 yrs? " I thought to my selfI said no I need a walbro inline installed. Chris asks what for? I was thinking ok maybe I just got a noob on the phone. I explain I need additional fuel for the mods and and e85 % I am running. The guys says ok so you want us to install the fuel pump? I said yeah you just run a loop of fuel line and pump to boost the lpf delivery. Chris ohh we have never done that before.

Your conversation should have ended here. If they haven't done it and as far as I know only have a shelf tune for e30 which doesn't require a supplemental pump then they aren't the ones you should have do it. You are mad because they didn't want to take your money to use your car as their install guinea pig?
(#14)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Legend
 
Posts: 1,497
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie
Read luckys other posts if you want more entertainment. BTW, I've actually been to Cobb Plano. It's a very nice and professional facility.
Yes, this is all good for a Sunday chuckle


2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#15)
Old
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!'s Avatar
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 18,441
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: 135i
Default 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM

@Feshdogg

Shut up "NOOB"....

LMAO



Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#16)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie
Read luckys other posts if you want more entertainment. BTW, I've actually been to Cobb Plano. It's a very nice and professional facility.
cool good for you; do you feel better now you've insulted someone? Just because you had one experience doesn't mean another didn't exist. You prolly went over there and said wow this is a nice place I like the cool screens on your new accessports.

I just simply made a point cobb = nerds who know nothing. I didn't feel like smelling like gas for 2 days so yeah I wanted to pay someone. your sole point is to get on the internet and try and prove someone wrong. Likely because your wife makes all the money and tells you what to do. So you need to take out your lack of success on someone else. that's cool enjoy.
(#17)
Old
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!'s Avatar
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 18,441
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: 135i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
cool good for you; do you feel better now you've insulted someone? Just because you had one experience doesn't mean another didn't exist. You prolly went over there and said wow this is a nice place I like the cool screens on your new accessports.

I just simply made a point cobb = nerds who know nothing. I didn't feel like smelling like gas for 2 days so yeah I wanted to pay someone. your sole point is to get on the internet and try and prove someone wrong. Likely because your wife makes all the money and tells you what to do. So you need to take out your lack of success on someone else. that's cool enjoy.
For you sir...




Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#18)
Old
andydna15 andydna15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:07 PM

I try to stay out of posts like this but I feel the need to say something. Sorry you had a bad experience with Cobb I feel for you. Now that that's out of the way if you feel like talking trash on others go to e90post. For real man I joined this site because everyone helps each other out. Try not to mess with the system
(#19)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
For you sir...

Id love to hit you over the head with that might know a little sense in you.
(#20)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydna15
I try to stay out of posts like this but I feel the need to say something. Sorry you had a bad experience with Cobb I feel for you. Now that that's out of the way if you feel like talking trash on others go to e90post. For real man I joined this site because everyone helps each other out. Try not to mess with the system
for sure, trolls are just really out to tell me how I did something wrong and I am a pita. You don't know me! just rude!
(#21)
Old
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!'s Avatar
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 18,441
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: 135i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
Id love to hit you over the head with that might know a little sense in you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
Id love to hit you over the head with that might knock a little sense in you.
Fixed for you...



Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Last edited by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!; 02-09-2014 at 08:42 PM..
(#22)
Old
andydna15 andydna15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
for sure, trolls are just really out to tell me how I did something wrong and I am a pita. You don't know me! just rude!
You are very right I do not know you( dont want to ).Sounds like you don't accept criticism very well. Your best bet would be not to start a thread , if you don't like input
(#23)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydna15
You are very right I do not know you( dont want to ).Sounds like you don't accept criticism very well. Your best bet would be not to start a thread , if you don't like input
theres a difference between input and trying to make someone feel like there experiences are just stupid and make no sense. lets make fun of this guy so we can feel better ourselves that's what I have taken from this. Just plain rude. They prolly have crappy jobs and live in apartments with paper thin walls. Its all good I gotta go get my stuff organized for in the morning. Steve has time to post 1700 posts. he's on obamas work schedule fortunately for me I am not.
(#24)
Old
andydna15 andydna15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 139
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrikes
theres a difference between input and trying to make someone feel like there experiences are just stupid and make no sense. lets make fun of this guy so we can feel better ourselves that's what I have taken from this. Just plain rude. They prolly have crappy jobs and live in apartments with paper thin walls. Its all good I gotta go get my stuff organized for in the morning. Steve has time to post 1700 posts. he's on obamas work schedule fortunately for me I am not.
Sound like you think your the only person with money.
(#25)
Old
Luckystrikes Luckystrikes is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 335i
Default 02-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydna15
Sound like you think your the only person with money.
nope I have customers with money; so they let me have a little. Self made dude self made. I risked everything to create jobs.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com