N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: none
Default BMS Flash? - 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Haven't been following forums for awhile so just want to do some quick catch up. Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has been discussed but just couldn't find anything definitive.

I understand the BMS flash allows the ECU to control fueling and the JB4 be focused on boost. If you are only lightly modded with just a tune or Tune + DCI would the flash help at all?
(#2)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM

It's still of benefit. Makes the car smoother cause the ECU is better at the fueling/timing and JB4 is better at boost.

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#3)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR
Haven't been following forums for awhile so just want to do some quick catch up. Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has been discussed but just couldn't find anything definitive.

I understand the BMS flash allows the ECU to control fueling and the JB4 be focused on boost. If you are only lightly modded with just a tune or Tune + DCI would the flash help at all?
Nope.

It's really to help adjust the DME settings for big turbo cars, those running higher concentrations of E85 etc.

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#4)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 09-02-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
Nope.

It's really to help adjust the DME settings for big turbo cars, those running higher concentrations of E85 etc.
You also get built-in speed limit defeat and a raised rev limiter to 7200 in addition to the fact that the JB4 doesn't have to hack the DME for timing/fuel anymore. And I read somewhere also improved transmission line pressure for AT cars?

I've had the BMS flash on my lightly modded car and it's been a blast.

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#5)
Old

Car: none
Default 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM

Thanks so the consensus is that the BMS flash would help regardless of what my mods are as long as I am tuned correct? What is I took out my tune, will i have to reflash to stock or I can still use the BMS flash?
(#6)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I actually have the same question. Currently running the JB4 G5 ISO with only DCI and I've been happy with it. It's the only thing I've tried so I have no basis of comparison. It does feel pretty smooth already, but curious if the backend flash would make it even smoother.

Ultimately, I'm curious if I should pony up $179 to buy the BT cable and try it out or not. I don't have any near term plans to run any E85 or meth, nor bigger turbos, pretty much just DCI and eventual intercooler and *********. If it's noticeably smoother (or faster for that matter), to me that would totally be worth it. But if there is no noticeable difference, then I wouldn't consider it worth it at this time. Anyone tried it out with just DCI and pump gas (93oct)? How is G5 ISO only vs with backend flash?