N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: none
Default Change Coils along with spark plugs - 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM

Think its time to change my spark plugs even though I haven't noticed any stumbling of the engine. I have 36K miles and been modded with Tune/Intake only since 5k miles. What is everyone's general take on changing the coils as well? Should I be changing them along with the spark plugs or wait?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, just looking for some help. Also where is the cheapest place I can get coils for the n54?

Thanks in advance.
(#2)
Old

Default 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM

no need to change coil, Im at 100k and I just changed my plugs today and the car runs fine.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM

+ 1^ When a coil goes bad it will let you know.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old
Administrator

Car: M340i,X5,Raptor,C7 ZR1
Default 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az335iat
+ 1^ When a coil goes bad it will let you know.
Yeah, then if one breaks you can just replace that one. Save your money. I replaced all of mine and it made no difference. I actually have never had a coil break on a BMW.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 535 2008
Default 11-20-2013, 09:54 AM

what is part number on plugs and what plug is recommended
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo
what is part number on plugs and what plug is recommended
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...cal/ES1304983/

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...cal/ES2681429/

Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi), Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: PTF Tune, RB Turbos, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, AA 2.0 FMIC, VRSF 3" ***, Berk Mids, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV.
(#7)
Old

Car: 535 2008
Default 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM

thanks Colton
(#8)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ BMS
Yeah, then if one breaks you can just replace that one. Save your money. I replaced all of mine and it made no difference. I actually have never had a coil break on a BMW.
cringe....hope you didn't just jinx yourself

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
(#9)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM

You could get the NGK 5992 plugs too, and gap them to 0.022" especially if you plan on going hard later with more power or run E85 mix.

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC