N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Money shifted... Need to know what to do next.. - 06-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Basically I was at 5500 rpm in 3rd and went to 2nd instead of 4th, revs went past the limiter;

Valve cover was already leaking 1L of oil every 3 weeks as it was a bad leak, I also run meth..

After the money shift I kept driving, and everything seemed fine, about about an hour later 1/4th of a Liter had leaked out when I checked the oil meter, after parking, I was doing pulls at the time...

When I got home I gave it a bit of gas and blue smoke came out... I drove it for about 3 days not too hard and then I took it for a couple hard pulls and mid pull I got a misfire and a ticking noise at around 23psi with PS2. My house was 2 streets down from the road and I pulled in and haven't driven it since.

I think it's either bent rod, dropped valve, or piston ring

There was also a lot blue smoke in 1st and 2nd gear in those 3 day's. .

Im not sure if I should get a new engine or just rebuild with stronger internals, also do you guys think I may have damaged cylinder walls? If my cylinder walls are damaged, ill buy a clean bare block off ebay, and if it is my valves, ill probably just replace the head.. I've heard that there's false knock with forged pistons, is that true?

Any suggestions on next steps are welcome
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevin12
Basically I was at 5500 rpm in 3rd and went to 2nd instead of 4th, revs went past the limiter;

Valve cover was already leaking 1L of oil every 3 weeks as it was a bad leak, I also run meth..

After the money shift I kept driving, and everything seemed fine, about about an hour later 1/4th of a Liter had leaked out when I checked the oil meter, after parking, I was doing pulls at the time...

When I got home I gave it a bit of gas and blue smoke came out... I drove it for about 3 days not too hard and then I took it for a couple hard pulls and mid pull I got a misfire and a ticking noise at around 23psi with PS2. My house was 2 streets down from the road and I pulled in and haven't driven it since.

I think it's either bent rod, dropped valve, or piston ring

There was also a lot blue smoke in 1st and 2nd gear in those 3 day's. .

Im not sure if I should get a new engine or just rebuild with stronger internals, also do you guys think I may have damaged cylinder walls? If my cylinder walls are damaged, ill buy a clean bare block off ebay, and if it is my valves, ill probably just replace the head.. I've heard that there's false knock with forged pistons, is that true?

Any suggestions on next steps are welcome
My suggestion would be to just find a good junkyard motor with warranty and just replace it. Cheap and pretty reliable IMO.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: '08 135i MT
Default 06-13-2018, 05:34 PM

I'd agree with Payam on this one.

Get a junkyard motor to keep in the garage and drive the piss out of it until your current engine blows.

As for bent rods etc; generally over revving will damage an oil pump or valvetrain. The pistons/rods will be fine

What's the mileage on the motor? You say you're leaking 1L of oil every 3 weeks from the valve cover? That's unlikely. You also said blue smoke, I'd say you're consuming a lot of oil from worn rings/smashed ringlands which would have been a pre-existing issue.

Also Murphy's law: Once you have a spare engine, yours will never blow up.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
My suggestion would be to just find a good junkyard motor with warranty and just replace it. Cheap and pretty reliable IMO.
I will probably do that for now and send my motor to mmp for rebuild unless there's better suggestions because I really want a 600whp reliable daily n54
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Before you commit to the cost and labor for a whole engine, may be worth doing a comp/leak test, change oil and get Blackstone analysis, check filter for metals, etc. Maybe check each piston with a boroscope or something. Suppose it depends on your budget and time.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Before you commit to the cost and labor for a whole engine, may be worth doing a comp/leak test, change oil and get Blackstone analysis, check filter for metals, etc. Maybe check each piston with a boroscope or something. Suppose it depends on your budget and time.
im 100% that i have bad compression in one of my cylinders, I moneyshifted loool...... I went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th at around 5500 rpm

I just don't know if its a better idea to get a used engine, or try to rebuild this one because I could rebuild this one better than a used engine... with forged rods and pistons and a used head off ebay.